Regarding Recent Election Turmoil

Considering that at least half of the HGA do not wish to see Elegarth replaced as Prime Minister, I have decided, as Minister of Legislative RP, to reject his initial resignation and reinstate him to the position effective immediately.

Elegarth is the Prime Minister from this point forward until either the end of his originally elected term or the end of the HGA, whichever is sooner.

I hereby dissolve the HGA and call for a Constitutional Convention.

It is my belief that our current set of laws and constitutive documents have too many holes and missing details that would need to be fix. And that the best and optimal way to solve it is through the creation of a new Constitutional document.

Elegarth

Prime Minister

The Constitutional Convention will begin shortly.  Archsium's outline seems like a good place to start so we will begin with that.

Except that there's no law allowing you to do this. Your appointment is invalid.

I'm sick and tired of the fact that the NPO's Regent can just waltz in here and think he owns the place.

I believe you will find that the entirety of the HGA is a subset of my Ministry.  

Claiming that my appointment, which comes from the Delegate directly, is somehow invalid is a bit much, even for you.

Wait... how does the prime minister have the authority to disband the HGA? I would have voted for leaving the polls open another day, but that thread was locked. I feel like things are being raced at such a pace by a small number of people that most haven't had time to react yet.

I know this will be even more unpopular, but what if we just revoted? Or made those who abstained vote anonymously somehow?

Wait... how does the prime minister have the authority to disband the HGA? I would have voted for leaving the polls open another day, but that thread was locked. I feel like things are being raced at such a pace by a small number of people that most haven't had time to react yet.

I know this will be even more unpopular, but what if we just revoted? Or made those who abstained vote anonymously somehow?

We have already revoted on the matter and reached a conclusion that was unsatisfactory, again.

Considering the recent turmoil within the HGA, I decided to reinstate the Prime Minister with the aim of moving forward with the Constitutional Convention.  The authority to do so rests with me, and my authority rests with the Delegate.

That said, we will be starting a Constitutional Convention shortly to outline a new governmental structure for the forum based community.  It will still maintain its separation from the ingame governance of the region.

We have already revoted on the matter and reached a conclusion that was unsatisfactory, again.

Considering the recent turmoil within the HGA, I decided to reinstate the Prime Minister with the aim of moving forward with the Constitutional Convention.  The authority to do so rests with me, and my authority rests with the Delegate.

That said, we will be starting a Constitutional Convention shortly to outline a new governmental structure for the forum based community.  It will still maintain its separation from the ingame governance of the region.

I guess I'm a bit confused then, since the separation of in-game and in-forum powers has been emphasized a lot recently. I thought I recalled Darkesia saying she had absolutely no power over the forums (which doesn't really make sense to me anyways though).

So basically we're kicking the can down the road to the end of Elegarth's term but starting a con con in the meantime? I guess that makes sense. I'm still a bit confused as to why you specifically have that power, but I had no clue you held any position at all. I guess it's just surprise time for newbies like me.

I guess I'm a bit confused then, since the separation of in-game and in-forum powers has been emphasized a lot recently. I thought I recalled Darkesia saying she had absolutely no power over the forums (which doesn't really make sense to me anyways though).

So basically we're kicking the can down the road to the end of Elegarth's term but starting a con con in the meantime? I guess that makes sense. I'm still a bit confused as to why you specifically have that power, but I had no clue you held any position at all. I guess it's just surprise time for newbies like me.

No, she has stated that the forums have no power over the game and that she has decided not to take an active part directly in the forum governmental structures, but that does not mean we are allowed to run amok and try to force change in-game when the Delegate has expressly forbid it.

Vlaghs position, if I understand it correctly, is the only link between the Delegacy and the In-forum, and is intended to prevent stagnation of the Government in cases like this one. While I may still have the position of Prime Minister, we are technically now going through a constitutional convention that will BETTER outline the government.

What happened in the last 20 days (which is when we started to try to get an executive government, just 7 days after having finished ANOTHER election) shows that we had gaping holes that could easily keep us stocked in this for another month, and Arch's idea of simply starting over in a BETTER way seemed reasonable to me. I hold no real power except for a minimum of avoiding chaos, I guess.

I'm sick and tired of the fact that the NPO's Regent can just waltz in here and think he owns the place.

What a complete load of llama poo. Vlagh has been a member of TWP for 6 or 7 years at least.

He was a member of the Senate under one constitution and has been appointed to a number of positions under various Delegates since.

The only one waltzing in as it were is you.

Ok, everything makes sense to me except this: http://www.westpacific.org/forums/index.php?/topic/1170-holy-grand-assembly-application-and-sign-in/?p=26436

I get that Elegarth's resignation is being rejected, that a con con is being started, but I don't think that means that the HGA should be immediately dissolved without even consulting a single person. As long as it stays around, even if only in name, until the con con's over, I'll be happy. So can we reopen the thread linked above and accept those new submissions?

I hold no real power except for a minimum of avoiding chaos, I guess.

Yes, and I think the best way to do that is *not* to simply announce your single-handedly closing our only legislative body, even if it admittedly has huge issues.

Perhaps asking that automatic memberhip in the convention for all former HGA members would be appropriate?  That would sure make masking easier on this end.  And would ensure that the same body has a voice.

Perhaps asking that automatic memberhip in the convention for all former HGA members would be appropriate?  That would sure make masking easier on this end.  And would ensure that the same body has a voice.

Since we had about 0 restrictions on who could join the HGA, why do we need to limit membership at all? I think anyone on the forums should have a voice.

Right. I was kind of just assumed that. I'm not sure if when Darkesia talks about "automatic membership for HGA members" she means only current members though. I think anyone who would be able to join the HGA but hasn't yet ought to be able to join the constitutional convention likewise. That may be what Darkesia meant--I'm just trying to be doubly sure.

That seems a good idea, we could just open new sign ups for that

Edit

BUt it may also open a window to foreigners intervention or jumping in... I'd probably limit it to people who signed up till yesterday.

That seems a good idea, we could just open new sign ups for that

Edit

BUt it may also open a window to foreigners intervention or jumping in... I'd probably limit it to people who signed up till yesterday.

I see your point. But then, there was nothing stopping foreigners from intervening or jumping in the HGA, either. 

I don't know, it's a hard decision and I'm obviously not qualified to make it. But I would lean towards openness rather than exclusiveness.

I think a convention would be nice. It's interesting to note that perhaps since Dark's first run as TWP delegate we have consistently switched up the forum government about once every 1.5 years or so, maybe even less.

I've been out of commission the last few days (sick wife and kid) but I've got no problems with a reboot. It's typically the times where there is angst when, if harnessed properly, the best solution can be for lack of a better word, discovered. 

Let's do this!

EDIT: Looks like I missed a funtastic day today. LOL. Come on peeps let's keep it civil and push forward. With respect to people in our assembly who have affiliations outside TWP, many of us do. I'm a member of TNP. In this sense I am different from Vlagh because the same punkdaddy there is the same here. There is no character difference. TSP taught me years ago that it's a nearly impossible game to play without hurting people's feelings. And so I chose not to do it. Vlagh doesn't care about people's feelings and i mean no disrespect in that, just stating that people's feelings don't dictate his game. I, fortunately or not, cannot play in such a way. Again, no judgment on what's better or worse, just saying people play this game differently and many people have other entanglements outside TWP.

We can't go kicking people out of TWP because of that and we should really create a new government that's allows new people to join and has some sort of semblance to an active legislature.