Llamas and Mexican Foods

We are currently holding what will likely be the single most important election in the entirety of TWP's history.

But to hell with that, I want to talk about burritos.

You see, burritos are likely the most delicious food ever invented. I say this as a Mexican-American, and thus an expert authority on all things burrito-related. But our burrito here is falling apart.

The West Pacific is just like a burrito in that it has two important, distinct but interdependent parts. For burritos, it's the tortilla and the filling. For us, it's the forums and the on-site community. Each one plays a key role, and if you only have one of the two, your burrito is freaking terrible.

We currently have a top-notch filling/on-site community. Look at our RMBeans! The post count there is greater than I've ever seen in a GCR. Even the second-most active I've noted, TSP's RMB, falls far behind ours. The filling is what gives our region its distinctive flavor, its identity as a unique place, and it's something that we must strive to perfect and keep going, always improving. I promise to 

The problem is, even the greatest filling ever means nothing if we don't have a good tortilla. The forums are inactive to a degree that's almost ridiculous. That's why we need a strong, decisive Prime Minister who knows how to improve activity, how to better our region and build it up. The forums are what give the region structure, the place where we can come together to choose the West Pacific's future as a community.

So I ask you, lend me your votes, fellow West Pacificans! Together, we shall conquer and improve our burrito! ...Dammit, that sounded much better in my head.

PS: Policy will be discussed in-depth in posts following this one.

PPS: Yes, there is something very, very wrong with me.

Internal Affairs

Internal affairs are probably the most important kinds of affairs you can have. Wait, shit, that came out wrong. Very, very wrong. Erm... Anyways, here's a bunch of stuff I'll do!

Building Activity Through Roleplay

I'm sure you've all seen the roleplay section on our forums. I'm also sure you've seen that it's the emptiest part of our burrito filling. Seriously! It's pathetic! Look at it! Oh wait, you can't because IT'S TOO FREAKING SMALL AND EMPTY TO BE SEEN WITHOUT A MICROSCOPE!

Now, here's what I'd like to say: I very much doubt that this lack of RPing is mostly caused by a lack of interest by the people here. The thing is, RPing is fun. Let me tell you a bit about myself: My first real, serious region in NS was a small, cozy UCR called Nesapo. Sure, I might have made my name in Lazarus, and I may have reached the height of my activity in the massive RPing UCR called Khora, but Nesapo is where I really put my heart into NS. And the reason for that was because we had amazing roleplays. Stories about wars, tales of triumph and gallantry, massive epics about suffering, love, and everything in between; those were probably the best days of my NS career. All good things must come to an end, however, and eventually Nesapo agreed to join with various other regions in the ill-fated experiment known as Khora.

To some extent, I've been carrying that little seed of RP, from those days as a brave little camelid building the community of my region one post at a time. And starting today, I want to plant that seed here.

The gross inactivity here isn't for lack of trying on the part of previous administrators. At the same time, that doesn't somehow mean that our members, the players of our region, are not sufficiently dedicated to our region. "BE MORE ACTIVE!" Did that work? No, of course it didn't! (Unless you just made 20 posts. In which case, good for you. And I'm sorry for yelling at you.) The reason why people here aren't more active is because we haven't found ways to make it more interesting. NS is a game. The point of it is to enjoy yourself. Roleplay offers us a brilliant way to do that, and the fact that we haven't built on this yet is stupid.

Do More of This S***

If you're not clear on what I mean, I'm talking about light-heartedness and humor. 

We here in TWP are famed for being funny, as well as for OH MY GOD DARKESIA DID YOU JUST STRANGLE THAT WEREWOLF WITH YOUR BARE HANDS? (Must be all the dark chocolate she's eaten; the commercials are right, it does make you healthy. Popeye should stop eating spinach, dammit.) Well, sorry for that interjection. What I meant to say was our intense love of chocolate, but now I think I've more or less made my point by leading through example.

I mean, seriously. Politics is pretty much the most serious thing in NS. If a candidate for one of the highest offices in our region can make a whole campaign thread in Daily Show fashion and still win, you've more or less shown your commitment to humor. And I love this part of TWP. Honestly, it's probably what makes us unique, perhaps even more wonderful than any other region in the game. We need to take advantage of this to bring players in, keep them interested, and make this region a new powerhouse of activity.

Recruitment

No, I don't mean recruiting from other regions. I mean recruiting new members to join the forums, get on the RMB, be a part of the army, and whatever kind of slave labor we feel like making them do next.

This is why I created the position of Officer of Home Affairs. If our community can't keep growing, it starts to stagnate. We need new ideas, fresh faces, to stay ahead of the other regions. Things like Milograd's militia idea sound great and all, but there's no way we'll get the endorsements to keep the delegacy safe and defend our interests abroad unless you put the effort into recruiting new players and then keeping those new players active. This is going to be one of my top priorities as Prime Minister: I'll make sure to hit the Officer of Home Affairs really hard with a stick if he isn't active. So hard, in fact, that he'll get knocked out of office and replaced with someone more willing to do what TWP needs to thrive.

Foreign Affairs

Foreign Affairs are probably lots of fun when you're doing them with those TEP girls. *leaves card with phone number* Unfortunately, my stalkerish and strange personality means that I've scared away every single woman I've met, so I'll probably be terrible at having affairs in other regions or countries.

Oh, wait, what? That's not what the affairs in "Foreign Affairs" refers to? ...NINJA VANISH!  :ph34r:

To the Army!

In the past month or two, I've been running the armed forces. And what we've managed to accomplish is quite incredible.

Recently, our activity has gone up about infinity percent. Seriously, it's amazing, and I'm so proud that our men have accomplished. Starting with the liberation of Scotland just a while ago, we have become a respectable force that is seen as interesting on an international stage. I'd like to thank our servicemen and women who have acted in defence of the region. However, the fact of the matter is that we must capitalize on these gains. Every day we do not train is a day we fall behind. Every day we do not recruit another member is a day that TBR or the RRA has used to grow themselves, and inactivity is not acceptable.

Because of this, I promise to make army activity a top priority. I will ask for foreign advisors to help us where their experience will prove useful, and I will spare nothing to make us a world power.

A final note. If you are wondering about my NS ideology, I'll tell you: I'm an independent. I support strengthening TWP's position. I support using the military to defend our interests. But I do not support baselessly tormenting natives in other regions for no other reason besides sadism. Raid Nazis. Raid our enemies. But do not raid those who are merely innocent bystanders.

Improving Our International Reputation

As of now, we are hardly the most respected of the GCRs. We are seen as playing second-fiddle to the greater powers of TEP and TNP, and possibly TRR. This is a poor state of affairs. And the fact of the matter is, we've acted in such a way that would almost

We supported a coup in TSP. We have failed to recognize any government of any region, even if those governments have, themselves, earned the respect and support of the people within the region. While I understand the original point of our policy of opposing forum governments, it is just no longer viable. Our government has itself developed past this. We are no longer that crazy region on the fringe of Gameplay that supports every coup it sees. Instead, we are acting as a respectable middle power, and this reputation can be cemented by recognizing the change that has slowly occurred over time: We are no longer a dictatorship by the whims of a delegate. Our government is a unique blend, a hybrid, combining some of the best aspects of forum democracy, including a legislature that allows many different views to be heard, while still recognizing the rights of those who are not on the forums and keeping the efficiency of a powerful and benevolent delegate. We are, in that regard, the most unique of the GCR's. But that does not give us the right to spit on other regions' ways of life just because they are slightly different.

As such, while Prime Minister I would seek to recognize a handful of governments that have proven to retain the loyalty of the people in them, both on and off the forums. Probably the best example of this is TSP. As of now, TSP allows members of the region outside of the forums to elect representatives to the forum government who assist in regional management. And this is nothing if not democracy. How can we deny that the Coalition of TSP is legitimate? The Coalition is, apart from ourselves, the single most game-tied GCR in the game. As such, it only makes sense that we extend a hand to them in friendship, and put aside any possible past conflicts for the greater good.

Rebuilding the Diplomatic Corps

And finally, I'd like to say: THIS. SO MUCH THIS. The Diplomatic Corps is possibly the most important part of maintaining healthy relations with other regions. Our diplomats extend our influence abroad, and build new ties so that we can cooperate with other regions. The fact that we don't have any diplomats is shocking, especially when one considers the fact that we are hardly admired on the interregional stage.

This is why we need an active Officer of Foreign Affairs. As of now, the Executive Council Act is up for a vote, and it seems that it will pass. By building an active and effective Foreign Office, we will be able to send many more diplomats to conduct relations with many more regions. It is the solemn duty of every Citizen to contribute what he can to his region, and this is a way that we can let people do that. By creating a new Diplomatic Corps, we would be imbuing a new generation of citizens with both a strong loyalty to the region and the experience they could need to serve in higher diplomatic posts later on.

"While delegate"?

Overall, I'm concerned that you've just said "I will prioritize x" and "here's problem y, we're not TNP or TEP" while offering no plan or demonstration that you actually know how to translate your vision into results. You want to revive the ambassador corps. Why? And how will you make that happen? You seem to be covering up a lack of substance with burrito-themed humor, and it shows.

Furthermore, you don't really show a real understanding of the facts of GP in this. Do you really believe ambassadors are the most important part of our foreign affairs? It's 2015, and ambassadors are an institution that were needed in a long-since-past time when the NS world was larger and harder to navigate.

[13:17] <Llamas> In addition, I believe the Prime Minister should be a Guardian.

[13:31] <Llamas> TSP has begun to allow representation of on-site players to the off-site forums

[13:32] <Llamas> And have shown themselves to be a friend of those who are not on the forums themselves.

[13:32] <Llamas> They would make an excellent ally as such.

[13:33] <Pestarzt> Right.

[13:33] <Pestarzt> How about TRR?

[13:33] <Llamas> Good ally

[13:34] <Llamas> I'm personal friends with Unibot.

Do you stand by these statements?

"While delegate"?

lol, thanks for noting that. Meant to say "While Prime Minister." 

Overall, I'm concerned that you've just said "I will prioritize x" and "here's problem y, we're not TNP or TEP" while offering no plan or demonstration that you actually know how to translate your vision into results.

Really? You're accusing my campaign of lacking substance? I outlined very specific steps we could take to improve things. For example, I offered the creation of the ambassador corps as a way to combat our decreasing interregional influence, and I argued for the promotion of RP to increase forum activity. I am very much proposing specific measures for solving problems. What have you done?

-snip-

Yes, I stand by these statements. I believe Unibot often goes too far, and has made offensive statements in the past. I've talked to him about that. I've argued with him in the past, and I've disagreed with him. But the thing is, hating Unibot just because he gets angry at others sometimes makes you just as bad. Have you ever heard the phrase "Kill them with love?" That's what I do. I don't get angry at Unibot or insult him, the way you do. I work with him and respectfully point out our disagreements.

lol, thanks for noting that. Meant to say "While Prime Minister." 

Really? You're accusing my campaign of lacking substance? I outlined very specific steps we could take to improve things. For example, I offered the creation of the ambassador corps as a way to combat our decreasing interregional influence, and I argued for the promotion of RP to increase forum activity. I am very much proposing specific measures for solving problems. What have you done?

The ambassador corps thing is a terrible idea.

While in charge of culture in Lazarus, you did an abysmal job at raising forum activity through RP. It never took off. What would you do to make it work this time.

I proposed a very explicit modification to the legislature, outlined an entire military doctrine, and laid forth a vision on the community's use of this forum. 

I believe that the ambassador corps are an important thing that are in need of loads of rebuilding.

The army is great, but the ambassador corps are IMHO at least as important. I am starting a campaign to rebuild this noble establishment as it is an ESSENTIAL part of our suite of offices here on the TWP forums and presence internationally.

If I MYSELF must go to each region and request an embassy, I will do so.

If I must staff every embassy, every off-site forum, every anything that we need to support a wholesome and mutually beneficial relationship with the other regions, then I will do so.

In this way will I fulfill my duty to TWP.

If no one will take the ambassadors seriously then I will do it all myself.

I believe that the ambassador corps are an important thing that are in need of loads of rebuilding.

The army is great, but the ambassador corps are IMHO at least as important. I am starting a campaign to rebuild this noble establishment as it is an ESSENTIAL part of our suite of offices here on the TWP forums and presence internationally.

If I MYSELF must go to each region and request an embassy, I will do so.

If I must staff every embassy, every off-site forum, every anything that we need to support a wholesome and mutually beneficial relationship with the other regions, then I will do so.

In this way will I fulfill my duty to TWP.

If no one will take the ambassadors seriously then I will do it all myself.

I agree completely with you. We need to rebuild the ambassador corps first and foremost. Besides, what would you want, peace or war?

I agree completely with you. We need to rebuild the ambassador corps first and foremost. Besides, what would you want, peace or war?

Exactly. We can have no relations with other regions outside of "Imma take yo region!" if we have no ambassador corps.

Thank you for that, URAP and Fish! I'm very glad to have the two of you onboard. As to Milo... *grumbles*

:P

The ambassador corps thing is a terrible idea.

Please do explain, oh wise and mighty Milo. I doubt you will, however. That seems to be a thing with you; you seem to assume that, after you decree something, everyone will automatically agree with you. You have the idea that somehow, there are people who are innately leaders who should always be glorified and bowed down to, but this is not true in the slightest. I have news for you: this isn't Lazarus anymore, and you're not Chairman here. Here, we choose our own leaders, and none of us owes any loyalty to you unless you win an election, which you haven't yet.

While in charge of culture in Lazarus, you did an abysmal job at raising forum activity through RP. It never took off. What would you do to make it work this time.

Congratulations! You managed to notice the single failure in a relatively successful career! I list Nesapo and Khora, and I'll tell you that in both, I successfully led activity booms that resulted in almost wholy recreated regions. I'll admit that I didn't do well in Lazarus. To some extent, that was my fault; I set goals that proved too ambitious and proved to be unrealistic. But much more than that, Milo, I failed because of your inability to create a proper regional atmosphere. When I arrived, do you remember what my first action was? I proposed various ways to boost activity in the region. All were immediately shot down by various Lazarenes, including yourself. Because when you created the PRL, you indoctrinated a whole community to be unthinking, resistent to change, and to avoid any innovations outside those proposed by the Chairman. You failed to create a welcoming environment for free speech or thought, one that was activeky hostile to innovation and opposed to new ideas. Luckily, that's not what TWP is. TWP is made up of those who are willing to be different, act different, and accelt new things. Don't think that's true? I sent out a single TG to five people, asking if they were interested in opening a RP. All five replies came in the affirmative. This may be difficult for you to accept, but change is very much possible, Milo — but only if the people are open to it.

Please do explain, oh wise and mighty Milo. I doubt you will, however. That seems to be a thing with you; you seem to assume that, after you decree something, everyone will automatically agree with you.

Our forum community is relatively inactive. Rather than spending our players attentions, which is an invaluable resource, on registering to other forums to post updates, it would be wiser to direct their efforts internally.

Ambassadors on NS, save for very experienced players or the one-in-a-hundred well trained diplomat, generally don't do much more than post updates. In the days where forums were less accessible and the game wasn't as easily-navigable, they had more value, but diplomacy is conducted more informally nowadays.

The experienced players traditionally serve as diplomats to feeders, and this works. The few major UCR's at a given are usually ambassador'd by no more than two trained diplomats, often covering multiple regions. They develop friendships in a region and participate a bit there. Beyond that, it's just a question of posting updates, which I don't care about. Updates are seldom read anyway.

The tone of your post is completely uncalled for and immature. Is this how you plan to lead?

You have the idea that somehow, there are people who are innately leaders who should always be glorified and bowed down to, but this is not true in the slightest. I have news for you: this isn't Lazarus anymore, and you're not Chairman here. Here, we choose our own leaders, and none of us owes any loyalty to you unless you win an election, which you haven't yet.

...is this how you plan to speak as Prime Minister?

Congratulations! You managed to notice the single failure in a relatively successful career! I list Nesapo and Khora, and I'll tell you that in both, I successfully led activity booms that resulted in almost wholy recreated regions.

You have no record of success in GCR's, is what I was pointing out. They're quite different. How do we know that your Prime Ministership won't be your second?

I'll admit that I didn't do well in Lazarus. To some extent, that was my fault; I set goals that proved too ambitious and proved to be unrealistic.

Deja vu, then? You never had a plan and never even tried to implement it.

But much more than that, Milo, I failed because of your inability to create a proper regional atmosphere. When I arrived, do you remember what my first action was? I proposed various ways to boost activity in the region. All were immediately shot down by various Lazarenes, including yourself.

Because you whined, didn't debate maturely, and were very condescending and self-righteous.

You say you take accountability for your shortcomings, but I just see you deflecting all responsibility onto me...

Because when you created the PRL, you indoctrinated a whole community to be unthinking, resistent to change, and to avoid any innovations outside those proposed by the Chairman. You failed to create a welcoming environment for free speech or thought, one that was activeky hostile to innovation and opposed to new ideas.

Rather, when you realized your ideas were widely unsupported, you whined and got yourself booted. Your ideas are often poorly thought-out and naive. You have said, just within a day's of campaigning, the following:

• The Prime Minister should be a Guardian
  • The Rejected Realms is an ideal ally for TWP
Luckily, that's not what TWP is. TWP is made up of those who are willing to be different, act different, and accelt new things. Don't think that's true? I sent out a single TG to five people, asking if they were interested in opening a RP. All five replies came in the affirmative. This may be difficult for you to accept, but change is very much possible, Milo — but only if the people are open to it.

This is what you always say and do.

You send TG's. You get responses.

Then you don't do anything. The RP dies before it ever starts and you point the finger at everyone else.

Our forum community is relatively inactive. Rather than spending our players attentions, which is an invaluable resource, on registering to other forums to post updates, it would be wiser to direct their efforts internally.

The problem with this is that it assumes that somehow, any time spent on other regions automatically equates to time not spent on this region. For the most part, this isn't the case; lack of activity isn't only caused by lack of time to spend on NS, it's also caused by lack of interest in NS as a whole. If people become interested in more parts of NS, they tend to spend more time on it in general, rather than take time away from one part to participate in another. And if they really are that strapped for time, then I wouldn't ask or expect them to become diplomats. I understand that they don't have time, and thus would expect them to actually direct their attentions inwards.

Ambassadors on NS, save for very experienced players or the one-in-a-hundred well trained diplomat, generally don't do much more than post updates. In the days where forums were less accessible and the game wasn't as easily-navigable, they had more value, but diplomacy is conducted more informally nowadays.

The experienced players traditionally serve as diplomats to feeders, and this works. The few major UCR's at a given are usually ambassador'd by no more than two trained diplomats, often covering multiple regions. They develop friendships in a region and participate a bit there.

And how do you expect us to get that one-in-a-hundred well-trained diplomat? Magic? Or maybe, instead, we could give them practical experience by making them ambassadors and thus get the diplomats we need.

Beyond that, it's just a question of posting updates, which I don't care about. Updates are seldom read anyway.

Then that's a problem. We need to give our ambassadors some authority to act as actual diplomats and build stronger relations with other regions.

The tone of your post is completely uncalled for and immature. Is this how you plan to lead? ...is this how you plan to speak as Prime Minister?

Milo, it seems you've forgotten how campaigns work in the past year or two since you've had to lead one. It turns out that when people argue in a democratic system, it can be heated, there are disagreements, and people will not always consider what you say to be holy writ. We are each trying to prove that we will be a better Prime Minister than the other – Of course there will be disagreements, there will be debates, and obviously our speech won't consist completely of compliments and small talk about how nice your flag looks or whatever. That's what arguing is. This does not at all, however, reflect on how I will act when I am in a completely different set of circumstances.

Furthermore, take a look at your own posts. You can't accuse me of supposed immaturity for criticizing your credentials for the office of Prime Minister while you've been doing the same to me.

You have no record of success in GCR's, is what I was pointing out. They're quite different. How do we know that your Prime Ministership won't be your second?

No, unfortunately I don't have a crystal ball that can tell us the exact future and what will happen in it. The possibility of my failing is always there, and I expect the voters to know that. Luckily, however, my track record is better than yours. In three different regions, I had two successes building a new RP community. In all three, by the way, I was a strong supporter of both democracy and the rule of law. For example, in Nesapo I repeatedly refused to use executive orders in places where the constitution would not have allowed me to, showing my respect for constitutionalism and my ability to accept when I do not have power. In Khora, I was heavily involved in the drafting of a new democratic and republican constitution that defended the rights of those in the region. And in Lazarus, do you know what I did? I spoke out against the dictatorship of the Chairman there. I tried to create a political party supporting an independent judiciary that was not controlled by the executive branch, and to increase the power of the People's Congress. And I was ridiculed for it by the Chairman at the time, who stripped me of my ranks and positions. What, by contrast have you done? In TSP, you used the position you had been entrusted with by allowing you to exceed the endorsement cap to unseat a democratically-elected delegate. You tried to destroy the Coalition. In Lazarus, you created a dictatorship designed to give you absolute power. With this kind of record, who would want to vote for you? You've acted power-hungry every step of the way, and now it seems that you're merely trying to gain one more position, to take over one more feeder.

Deja vu, then? You never had a plan and never even tried to implement it.

I had a plan, and I tried to implement it. Remember the Lazarene Historical Project, the attempt to create a common history for all members of the region who chose to join it? I repeatedly tried to get that to take off. Again, I'll admit that it was too big of a project. I attempted to micromanage and build something too large, rather than set realistic, moderate goals that could get done within a specified timeframe.

You say you take accountability for your shortcomings, but I just see you deflecting all responsibility onto me...

Didn't you just read the other part of my post? "To some extent, that was my fault; I set goals that proved too ambitious and proved to be unrealistic." Seriously, pay a bit more attention. I'm recognizing that both you and I played a part in the failure of my initiatives.

Rather, when you realized your ideas were widely unsupported, you whined and got yourself booted.

Criticizing a dictatorial regime for lack of respect for the basic rights of the citizenry hardly qualifies as "Whining."

Your ideas are often poorly thought-out and naive.

I think you're confusing "Ideas" and "Suggestions" with "Actions." I will say that my ideas are not always good. Why do you think I share them? I do it so that I can receive input from others, and see whether or not they do have any merit.

You have said, just within a day's of campaigning, the following:

• The Prime Minister should be a Guardian
  • The Rejected Realms is an ideal ally for TWP

I don't see what's wrong with the first one. As to the second one, you don't even seem to be paying attention to what I said. I said that the South Pacific would be an ideal ally for the region, whereas you've even failed to mention a single region you think we should build relations with. At the same time, I did mention that closer relations with the Rejected Realms would be a good idea; a non-aggression pact and a treaty of cooperation would be a good idea.

This is what you always say and do.

You send TG's. You get responses.

Then you don't do anything. The RP dies before it ever starts and you point the finger at everyone else.

False. In Lazarus, I failed to get responses. I failed to get support from the citizenry. Here, I've found members of the region who are very much interested in doing this, and I'm trying to support them in their efforts to contribute to the regional culture.

You've got my support, Llamas, if it means anything. I think you've got a vision for The West Pacific that will turn some heads and play with expectations, while still striking a unique and distinctively 'TWP-ish' tone. Look, I used the term, 'TWP-ish'. I have gone mental now, haven't I?

You've got my support, Llamas, if it means anything. I think you've got a vision for The West Pacific that will turn some heads and play with expectations, while still striking a unique and distinctively 'TWP-ish' tone. Look, I used the term, 'TWP-ish'. I have gone mental now, haven't I?

Don't worry, you lost your mind long ago. :P

Thanks for that, Uni, I'm trying to keep TWP's unique culture (Which I honestly love) while simultaneously finding what hasn't worked in the past so that we can fix it. :)

What is TWP'a culture to you?

Genuinely wondering, because you've used the phrase a few times.

TWP's culture is honestly too complicated and diverse to fully define; it's rich and varied, and it means different things to different people. Asking what it is is like asking what American culture is like; there's too many variations and subgroups to ever be truly accurate. At the same time, there's a lot of things that you can say are generally accurate for most, and I'll give a few of those for TWP.

• TWP values the ideas of individuality and uniqueness. Uni put it quite nicely in his article when he says we've cultivated characters who are a bit different from those in most other regions. We enjoy this spirit of weirdness (If I may put it as that :P) which we've adopted, and we tend not to care what other regions think of us, as long as we enjoy it ourselves.
  • TWP values utility and simplicity. We don't like the ideas of complicating things more than they need to be, and we tend to ignore niceties and the little pieces of bureaucratic red tape nobody gives a crap about.
  • Finally, TWP values the in-game part of the region as much as the forums. This is honestly unique among regions. I've yet to see another region which does not use the forums to rule over the region, despite the fact that polls mean that this is no longer necessary.