Paint It Blue - World Diabetes Day 2015

Malviet

Inactivity has been a pain in all our arses, and I thought this might be something that might be worth participating in a regional basis.

Okay. This is something I picked up while lurking in the Warzones; Campbell, the Delegate of WZ Asia, has wrote this and put it on Asia's dispatches:

World Diabetes Day 2015 "Paint it Blue" Initiative

(Or, Why Has My Delegate and Half of my Region Changed to the Same Flag)

For those of you who have been around awhile, you may remember last year my dispatch and thread inviting regions and nations to change flags and factbook themes for World Diabetes Day (November 14th).

I had originally envisioned this as a one-off event. But given the massive amount of positive feedback, and the insistence that I ought to do something both for World Diabetes Day, and for my birthday which is coincidentally on the 16th, I have decided once again to invite the NS community to join in turning everything to blue for November 14th.

To Recap what the day is all about:

World Diabetes Day was established by the United Nations (hence the blue circle as the official image and color) as the official day worldwide to raise awareness of Diabetes in all its forms, and its effects of the world in terms of health, economics, and general obstruction to normal human life.

The number of diagnoses of all types of the disease are increasing, and the financial costs are expected to balloon over the next several decades, especially in the first world. Most of these costs are attributed to long-term complications of poor treatment, which can be minimized with increased education, screening, and investment into new medical technologies.

Why do I specifically care?

I personally have Type 1 Diabetes, which is an autoimmune disorder where my insulin-producing cells have been destroyed, and I am reliant on continuous infusion of artificial insulin to keep my blood sugars in check and stave off death. My life expectancy is ten years shorter than that of my peers, and there is a very good chance that if I do outrun death for a time, I will be left with one of the nasty aforementioned complications. Although I do my best to keep up with my blood sugars, I am human, and replacing an autonomous bodily function which interacts with every other aspect of human physiology with ham-fisted artificial substitutes is bound to cause glitches.

I am rather open about my condition, but some of my fellow comrades are not. This, I believe, is due to a general misunderstanding of Diabetes. Most people, if they are familiar with the disease at all, are affiliated with it as one of many dire consequences of gluttonous overindulgence in sugary drinks and fatty foods. They are taught that people who develop Diabetes are themselves at fault because they ate too much sugar as a kid. While this can, in some cases be a precipitating factor in cases of Type 2 Diabetes, it is not always the case, and is not possible in the development Type 1 Diabetes.

TLDR Summary:

Diabetes is a very complicated disease with multiple different forms, some of which scientists do not fully understand. Its costs to human life, suffering, and the world economy are immense and increasing along with the number of affected. Today I invite the NationStates world to join together in helping raise awareness by turning flags, images, World Factbook Entries, and anything with color settings* blue for November 14th and sharing your accomplishments with others. If you want to link others to this dispatch, feel free.

Interested in learning more?

As a Type 1 Advocate working in the United States, my particular favorite source is the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, although for a more general overview of the disease I suggest theAmerican Diabetes Association. Most countries also have their own particular group who have local chapters that can be contacted for specific questions.

And of course, I myself am always happy to answer telegram questions of this nature (last year's event convinced me to upgrade to a postmaster-general account) and discussing my own activities in this field.

*That can be done in a preferably tasteful way that does not violate site rules

This may not seem worth it, but it could be something we could do to fight inactivity while doing the general humanity some good at the same time.

I propose that TWP participate in this event; change the flag, maybe, or change the color on the WFE to blue for the duration.

Now open for officers to discuss! Whaddaya folks think? Please advise!

I don't need them to discuss. I'm in.

Can someone make a version of TWP's flag blue colored? And throw some banners? And a dispatch? We have till tomorrow to get it all ready. Can you aid with it Malv? Once done, I'll change the WFE on the 14th

We could go with those if nothing better comes up. Also, I need a WFE, hopefully with links to some formal page for the day

Where's the Epilepsy Awareness Month (November) flag ?   :huh:

I didn't know there was once, but if you can educate me, we can also do that! I think all those sort of stuff deserves everyone's attention. Care to enlighten me, please?

Found a lot of info. We could do it next weekend... we could do this sort of stuff on weekends... Friday late till Monday early... Is an idea I'd like. I believe in social awareness