Ideas on newbies

punkdaddy

Hello all - How do we get more new people involved? 

I have an idea. We can conduct a survey of WA nations in the region. We can ask them different questions about participating on the forum here and what their likes/dislikes are about the game. We can ask them how can we make the game more enjoyable. 

At the end of the survey we leave with the "ask" asking them to participate in the forum government here to even further help us make the game more fun for everybody.

Too cheesy or is this something we should explore?

There's always a perception of GCRites to be very elitist, exceptional, experienced players - and it's true to a certain degree. It can be very intimidating for any newbie or even anybody that has been playing NS for a while to join our community. That's something we should always be aware of and how we can overcome that perception.

I think it's a matter of process. How easy is the process to get involved? Is the process easy or is it difficult? What is the experience of a new person when they come on the board? Are they able to get involved easily or is it difficult? 

And as mentioned earlier - we need to advertise and get them here. So it's a two step hurdle. Are we attracting new talent and once we have it, are we retaining it? TNP has nearly 1-2 new recruits a day to its Regional Assembly, but have trouble keeping people active once they are on board. We have trouble getting the newbies to the forum. 

And yes, I think we'd send the survey via AGP's mass TG process. Why don't we try to come up with some questions.

I've just spent an hour or so trawling through the various topics on TWP and have ended up with this one.

Perhaps a good way of interesting newcomers when they arrive in TWP, and stay for more than a few hours, is to present them with a 'Welcome Pack' which gives comprehensive details of the various areas where they can become involved in, where to find information, advice on endorsements and the region's policy on same, and what we would like from them as member nations. 

I know that this would entail a not inconsiderable volume of work for someone who might be deputed for the task of pulling together the Pack but as I remember it as a still new kid on the block I spent quite some time groping in the dark trying to feel my way around.  To a certain extent, I still am.  Other regions seem to have a 'Welcoming Person' although again their input of information to newly-arrived nations is somewhat scant and often biased.

PD's suggestioin of a survey of TWP nations seems a good start point and to keep matters manageable we should only look at the 449 or so WA nations and ask them first as this must be our initial target audience.  I noted that the voting on the new name for our Landstraat commanded a massive 10 or so votes from a possible 20 or so Membership.  A good turnout of 50% but from a very low starting base...!

Just out of interest have all these members endorsed our Delegate and ALL Guardians?  I sure hope so!

Thanks for the input and I do agree a "Welcome Packet" would be very useful to new people. I also think a 'mentor' wouldn't hurt either. I'll offer myself if you need any particular help. 

As for endorsing the del and guardians. It's encouraged but not necessarily compulsory.