Recruiting: The Script

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a problem the script currently has Westwind, it can only recruit to all new nations, not just the new ones within a specific region. That, or I can send telegrams to all nations within a specific region, but that doesn't apply to newly created regions. I'm trying to work it out now..

^ fixed it. Will only send telegrams to new TWP nations. :)

Good news everyone! I am currently in the process of 1) acquiring a welcome script which should suit our purposes perfectly and 2) acquiring some server space so I can leave the script running permanently. Soon manual recruiting will be a thing of the past!

Okay, I have a welcome script set up and ready to go. Is there a specific message you want me to send or shall I just draft something up?

I'm thinking this is alright:

### begin ###

WELCOME to The West Pacific!

~Where the coffee is always fresh, the bar always open, and there's Karaoke every Friday.~

By now you're probably completely inundated with recruitment telegrams, and feeling a bit overwhelmed.

But don't panic! Because you don't actually need to read all of those! Instead, you could always just completely ignore them, and remain here in The West Pacific.

If you're new to NationStates, we recommend you read a basic guide created for you by our World Assembly Delegate All Good People, which can be found on our World Factbook Entry. Also on this page are a number of other helpful links to the regional government.

Of course, if you're not actually new, but just made the excellent decision to relocate here, then none of this should be a problem for you.

We are easily one of the largest and most powerful regions in NationStates, and there is plenty of opportunity for you to involve yourself in our recently reformed regional government. We have dedicated offsite forums which host this government, as well as many other entertaining activities. You'll find these forums at http://twp.nosync.org/forums/

Make an account, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

Have questions? Feel free to telegram me, archsium, or our Interior Minister Intelligent Holograms.

Always yours,

The West Pacific Interior Ministry.

### end ###

Comments? Remember the nation names and stuff all look much better in an actual telegram.

Okay, am now running the welcome script whenever my computer is on, which is most of the time at the moment. Am working on acquiring a more permanent base for it.

So you may want to modify this thread; no recruiters are really required now, the process is completely automated :D

For that matter: everyone should be aware that any recruiting should be prohibited, as it will clash with this and cause the wrath of the mods.

• 2 weeks later...
### New script recruitment telegram as follows (note the added military recruitment part) ###

WELCOME to The West Pacific!

~Where the coffee is always fresh, the bar always open, and there's Karaoke every Friday.~

If you're new to NationStates, then by now you're probably completely inundated with recruitment telegrams, and feeling a bit overwhelmed.

But don't panic! Because you don't actually need to read all of those! Instead, you could always just completely ignore them, and remain here in The West Pacific.

We also recommend you read a basic guide created for you by our World Assembly Delegate All Good People, which you can find here:

Of course, if you're not actually new, but just made the excellent decision to relocate here, then none of this should be a problem for you. 

We are easily one of the largest and most powerful regions in NationStates, and there is plenty of opportunity for you to involve yourself in our regional affairs. We have dedicated offsite forums which host our government, as well as many other entertaining activities. You'll find these forums here:

Make an account, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home. We think you'll like it here.

You might also consider joining The West Pacific Armed Forces, and helping to defend our glorious region. You can find the sign up page here:

Have questions? Feel free to telegram me, archsium, or our Interior Minister Intelligent Holograms. Have a fantastic day!

Always yours,

The West Pacific Interior Ministry.

Personally I feel this script is a bit too long.

I think we want to get people on the boards and then once here can make the board a place that easy-to-use from a navigation/getting involved standpoint.

While I believe that the TG script makes great points, i don't have confidence in the attention span of most players since they're likely getting 8-10 other similar TGs

When I was in other regions we didn't like to send a long Telegram, the newcomer would end up taking one look at it and just join any random region that they thought would suffice their needs. From learning from my past judgements in joining a region, it was never about the telegram, it was about the personal touch to interaction in gathering my feel for what they wanted of me. 'Join and become a Senator' helped a little to 'Join and we'll train you up to become a member in charge of a squadron' its basic from the start to finish to the hi, to the ending of these telegrams. But whatever you do, keep it short.

Believe me, I've been trying to keep it as short as possible. It is actually shorter than most recruitment telegrams. 

Nonetheless I hear what you're saying about short attention spans, though we also have to cater to people who do actually read these things, so I'm trying to maintain a middle ground.

The getting people on the boards comment is right though. Any ideas on how to better encourage this would be appreciated.

Thoughts, IH?

I could cut it down to just this:

WELCOME to The West Pacific!

We are easily one of the largest and most powerful regions in NationStates, and there is plenty of opportunity for you to involve yourself in our regional affairs. We have dedicated offsite forums which host our government, as well as many other entertaining activities. You'll find these forums here:
Make an account, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home. We think you'll like it here.

You might also consider joining The West Pacific Armed Forces, and helping to defend our glorious region. You can find the sign up page here:

Have questions? Feel free to telegram me, archsium, or our Interior Minister Intelligent Holograms.

Always yours,
The West Pacific Interior Ministry.

*nods*  I think that's helpful to have it shorter.  I think I'd make it still shorter.

The point that it should be personal is a good point.  If we can incorporate the nation placeholder code so that it will automatically insert the receiver's name in the greeting, I think that would help.

When I've experimented with endorsement telegrams, both here and when I was TNP Delegate, the breifer the better.  A longer message gets ignored, while a quick "I've endorsed your nation, could I ask for your endorsement in return ?" gets the best results. 

Same with my telegram recruitment messages from UCR's.  Adding more information just becomes data overload.  The player wants to be recognized as an individual, and feel welcome and wanted.  The details are just noise.

• 2 weeks later...

WELCOME to The West Pacific!

Please be aware that Nazi nations, RMB ad spammers, marsupial infiltrators, and anyone believed to be plotting a diabolical scheme against the regional government, will be ejected at the sole discretion of the delegate, potentially without warning.

We have dedicated offsite forums which host our regional government, as well as many other entertaining activities. You'll find these forums here:
~ http://twp.nosync.org/forums/ ~

~ http://twp.nosync.org/forums/index.php?/topic/12-the-west-pacific-military/ ~

Have questions? Feel free to telegram me, archsium__749607t2.pngThe Republic of Archsium, or our Interior Minister intelligent_holograms__251031t2.jpgThe Thunderbolts and Lightning of Intelligent Holograms.

Always yours,

The West Pacific Interior Ministry.

^ That's the current telegram. I would like to make it shorter by removing the military recruitment appeal, but feel that we do desperately need more recruits, so will leave it for now.

Exactly how do I use this nation macro? I can't work it out.

The "please be aware" section needs to go. That does nothing to encourage someone to join, especially a noobie who may not know what an NS Nazi is, what "RMB" stands for, or care about the fictional (don't start, TAO) marsupial war. 

This TG doesn't compel me to join the forums. I'm going to try to work on a different TG. I've never been the greatest recruiter but that was do to not having time to send TG's. My hit ratio wasn't bad, and as del of the region I had the most feeder endos for a long stretch of time. My endotarting was really effective.

Usually no more than 3 sentences. 

Not saying this is a bad TG, but it's not getting folks to come to the boards and I think we should revisit the content.