Recruiting: The Script

I believe it is about time that we started to actively telegram new players to stay in TWP, inform them of the forums and answer any questions they may have on NS.

Please post in this thread if you would be willing to donate some time to send telegrams to new nations and answer any questions they may have. When I get an idea of numbers, I'll write a standardised telegram to send.

Thanks,

IH

EDIT: No longer required due to the operation of a script.

Edited by Intelligent Holograms

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know if you still want help, but I offer my assistance. I remember when I joined there were ridiculous amounts of telegrams enticing me to other regions but nothing to encourage me to stay here. Krull in the Pacific sends telegrams to all new nations encouraging them to stay.

If someone has the inclination and technical ability, there is a script that can be setup to automatically tg a welcome message to new nations in the region.  If we have that running, our manual efforts could be used to for mentoring new players rather than recruiting them.

That sounds significantly more efficient. How do we set it up? I can probably do that tonight if you wish.

Ok, I'm working on two telegrams to send to new players. The first is a simple and short one which basically tells people not to leave, but to stay in TWP. The second is a longer one aimed at explaining how everything works in TWP, for people who do choose to stay here. I will run them both by IH when I think they're ready-ish.

Well. I've been feeling surprisingly efficient today, so I have completed both of the above mentioned welcome messages. Would you prefer I telegrammed them to you for review or just posting them in a new topic in this forum?

I'm also making progress preparing a script which should work on the API, am currently setting a time delay so it doesn't activate the spam filters and result in grumpy moderators.

Ok so the current problem is that in order to automatically send a telegram to all nations, as they are founded, the program would need to be constantly scanning for them, so would need to be running 24/7? - which means it would need to be server hosted. Urgh.

Brace yourself for lots of words:

### basic recruitment ###

Hello there!

Welcome to The West Pacific, and I hope you're having a fantastic day.

By now, you're probably completely inundated with recruitment telegrams *shudders* , and feeling a bit overwhelmed.

(If you haven't yet experienced this, then you're about to, so you might want to brace yourself)

But don't panic! Because you don't actually need to read all of these! Instead, you should completely ignore them, and remain here in The West Pacific.

If you enjoy chocolate, coffee, and perhaps a drop of rum (though not necessarily all three at the same time) then The West Pacific is for you! It would also help if you had a mild dislike for marsupials.

Have questions? Feel free to telegram me, or better yet our World Assembly Delegate all_good_people

Swing by our Regional Message Board for a chat, or join us on the off site forums located at http://twp.nosync.org/forums/

Always yours, archsium

### welcome telegram ###

Hello there!

I see you've decided to remain in The West Pacific! On behalf of The West Pacific Imperium I'd just like to congratulate you on making such an excellent decision. It's always quite upsetting when other regions successfully steal our delicious new nations from us.

Here's some information on your glorious region that you may find useful:

Here in The West Pacific we believe in a policy called national sovereignty, which means you're free to run your nation however you want. Our Delegate, that's the leader of a region, will not seek to impose views on you, or tell you how to best run things (unlike the Delegates of some other regions, which shall remain un-named). This also means you have the freedom to endorse (or refuse to endorse) whomever you wish, and make your own voting decisions on World Assembly matters.

The West Pacific has a dedicated offsite forum where you can discuss issues, or really anything for that matter, with your fellow West Pacificans. At these forums you will find our regional government, headed by the Delegate, and regional legislature, The Landstraad, which you are invited to join. Here you'll also find the West Pacific Armed Forces, many other government departments, and of course the all important general discussion forums. Why not mosey on over and have a gander at http://twp.nosync.org/forums/

As you may have noticed, The West Pacific has a collection of nations known as Guardians, in addition to the Delegate. These Guardians are appointed by the Delegate, and their purpose is to keep our region secure from invasion. Other founderless regions are either exposed to invasion and rather politically turbulent, or impose extremely restrictive internal security policies to protect themselves. The unique Guardian system gives you the comfort of security, while not needing to violate your national sovereignty.

Have questions? If you've joined the forum, then just start a topic, introduce yourself, and we will rush to your aid! Of course you can feel free to telegram me, or better yet our World Assembly Delegate all_good_people, if you so desire. You could also swing by the Regional Message Board, that's that tab on the left labeled The West Pacific. Lodge a message, even! There is other helpful information located on the World Factbook Entry, at the top of the message board page, such as this useful FAQ: http://twp.nosync.org/forums/index.php?/topic/9-a-basic-guide-to-nationstates/

Armed with all this amazing knowledge, go forth and enjoy your time in The West Pacific!

Now for a dramatic and rather humorous quote: “Always forgive your enemies - Nothing annoys them so much”

Always yours, archsium

### end ###

Questions? Comments? Let me know if they seem too informal, or if the semi-jokes are a bit lame. N.B. they are easily modifed to change the sender at the end - doesnt have to come from me.

btw the nation names animations work in telegrams so it shows the flags and full name etc

Excellent, thanks Archsium.

The first one should contain information about the forums, government etc. reasons to get involved and stay, these are the reasons people get involved.

The second also needs to say why TWP is better than all other regions and how new nations can get involved. Personally, I'd make the Guardian bit smaller as protection from invasion is probably not going to be the first thing on a new players mind.

For both, I'd put in the advice of joining the WA.

At some point, probably this weekend, I'll open a mentoring section on the forums where new players can come along, ask the questions on NS they need answering and get a guide through how to play - I'll put that in the telegram as well.

As usual great work, Archsium!

The first one did originally have all that stuff, but it looked too long. It was really just intended to discourage people from leaving the region. The second was for actual info. The advice on joining the WA is definitely a good idea though.

In other news, the script should now work, and I just obtained an API client key from the moderators under the name "The West Pacific Recruiting"

I will do some test runs soon

Ok it's set up, and is now running. So basically the program will now send recruitment telegrams to all new nations for as long as I have it running. (Which unfortunately means if I shutdown my computer the telegrams will stop, but it's something!)

By the way this is the message I am currently sending:

### begin ###

Hello there!

Welcome to NationStates, and I hope you're having a fantastic day.

By now, you're probably completely inundated with recruitment telegrams *shudders* , and feeling a bit overwhelmed.

(If you haven't yet experienced this, then you're about to, so you might want to brace yourself)

But don't panic! Because you don't actually need to read all of these! Instead, you should completely ignore them, and join us in The West Pacific.

If you enjoy chocolate, coffee, and perhaps a drop of rum (though not necessarily all three at the same time) then The West Pacific is for you! It would also help if you had a mild dislike for marsupials.

Have questions? Feel free to telegram our Interior Minister Intelligent Holograms, or our World Assembly Delegate All Good People

Swing by our Regional Message Board for a chat, or join us on the off site forums located at http://twp.nosync.org/forums/

Always yours, archsium

### end ###

It's modified from the original I posted above as it's being send to all pacific regions, not just TWP.