The TWP Astronomy Thread

Bhang Bhang Duc

*sigh*...it feels like we're moving backwards going back to the apollo style space craft.  Where are my damn space planes (that are far more reusable than the Space Shuttle ever truely was).

I guess that really depends on what's powering it/providing it with energy to continue...but yes, storms do eventually come to an end.  Would be kinda sad though...for most of written history Humans have known Jupiter by the Red Spot, but in a generation or two it there might be no red spot for humans to see.

METEOR ALERT:  This weekend, Earth will pass through a stream of debris from Comet 209P/LINEAR. If forecasters are correct, the encounter could produce an outburst of bright meteors numbering more than 200 per hour.  Most models agree that peak rates should occur between the hours of 0600 UT and 0800 UT (2 a.m. and 4 a.m. EDT) on Saturday morning, May 24th, a time frame that favors observers in North America.  It is worth noting, however, that Earth has never encountered this stream of debris before, so forecasters cannot be certain of their predictions.  The display could be a complete dud, a fantastic "meteor storm," or anything in between. 

Visit http://spaceweather.com for full coverage.

How did it look?

I'd love to be able to see more, but I live right in the city centre (UK) and don't have car, so it's rare I get a good view of the stars. :(

Bit of a fizzer I gather, 5- 10 meteors per hour.  It was always a long shot as we don't know how active the comet was when it produced these dust streams.

Lethbridge had a Chinook Arch overhead last night, so no stars, shooting or otherwise to be seen. bah!

I can't remember the last significant event, be it meteor showers, or aggressive auroras that Lethbridge has had clear skies for.

• 2 weeks later...