FUTURE AWARENESS PROJECTS

Elegarth

As you already know, we recently completed our first Autism Awareness Week and had previously collaborated with another region's DIABETES AWARENESS DAY.

In a vote for the region, the majority of voters considered this is a thing we should continue doing, as a manner of taking advantage of the thousands of persons we reach in the game.

I've created this thread to open a long term discussion and perhaps even to create a small committee that could work on researching and creating our future awareness day / week / weekend whatever.

There are some I'd like us to for sure (like October's International Breast Cancer Awareness, as well as November's Men Movember Awareness for Prostate Cancer. We don't NEED to do them monthly so we may still have 5 months before the two I'd like us to make sure we keep in sight.

I've sent a TG to all those who voted for the option about wishin to be involved with the planning, but ANYONE seing this is more than welcome to propose, comment and even offer their help :)

Let's do something nice for the world together :)

How is my idea on No Tobacco Day?

My problem with that idea is that it can have more negative reactions that others. I'm a former smoker, used to smoke 3 packs of cigarettes per day, and if there was something that would make me angry was people coming and telling me stuff about it. I stopped smoking eventually, but I can totally see how it would indeed ruffle some feathers negatively... You see what I mean?

*nods*  Healthy or not, it's a choice.  And people don't like their freedom of choice infringed, which the anti-tobacco forces have chosen as their approach.

A condition such as Autism though, is not a choice. It's something out of your control.

How about Deaf Awareness Week?

Is not a bad idea, are their any sources online?

I liked the idea of a Mental Health Awareness. The official month for it is May, and I think it's something that is increasingly prevalent, yet too often overlooked in society.

Another great idea, any known sources of info?