The West Pacific Map

AndyNS

Alright, guys, I've made a rough map of surface ocean currents, located here! Color coded based on whether the current is warm or cold.

Now, I hear the question that all of you asking yourselves: Why should I give a shit about some water moving around? Well, I'm here to explain this to you! Surface ocean currents can matter a lot because they have the following effects:

1. Rainfall! Typically, land located near warm ocean currents will be significantly more rainy, whereas land located near cold ocean currents will be drier. This is because when ocean water is hotter, evaporation occurs more quickly, leading the air to get wetter. Eventually, the buildup of water in the air will be released as rain. This is what can make the difference between a desert and a rainforest.

2. Temperature! This should be fairly self-explanatory; cold water makes your nation colder, warm water makes it hotter.

3. Fishies! Usually, the best fishing spots are where multiple ocean currents meet up.

4. Boats! At least old ones. Although in this age of diesel-powered engines, currents matter less, they can still help fleets move more or less quickly. The difference is more noticeable among older ships that are powered by sails or oars.

Important: Although water currents *are* important, they're not the only thing that changes climate. Just because 

Also, I took the liberty of naming the various oceans in this map. Note that the map looks different; that's because I cut it in half and then reattached it. Seeing as how the world is circular, it doesn't really matter. The names come from various languages, primarily Polynesian.

Finally, there's this map, which is highly relevant and should be seen by everyone. It should be fairly self-explanatory.

I would like to request that this information be added to the Original Post, as it'll be fairly helpful.