The TWP Astronomy Thread

Bhang Bhang Duc

Love to see there are people in NS who share my fascination with Cosmology. I am strictly amateur, my father once said about me "we look at the sky and see the stars, your sister (meaning me) look at the sky and wonders what is between". I have read most popular books on the subject and am fully prepared to admit I just don't understand - but then didn't someone once say "if anyone claims to understand Quantum Theory, they are lying!"?

I think the most meaningful thought experiment I have ever read is that everything we know could be one electron travelling back and forth in time and colliding. Going back it is an anti-electron - physics as we currently understand it can't tell the difference between an electron going forwards and an anti going backwards so electron+anti=nothing (everything is still nil). When it meets itself it creates a photon and both the electron and it's anti switch states as they reverse direction - colliding an electron/anti-electron pair has been tested (ok... "Nothing" creates a photon... Weird, but still in line with Quantum theory). Eventually the photons degrade and create Quarks (still following the thought....) the quarks merge and create matter (still feasible) so everything we think we see, feel, observe is due to nothing (that electron and it's negative) and that is all there is, was and ever will be......

Then I realise that the energy lost in the collusion that can be seen as the photon means that one electron/anti pairing is stupid (eventually it(they?) would lose all energy so can't move) - so there must be more than one but the underlying idea remains sound. Everything we see, know..... It's all come from nothing. Nothing split itself due to randomness and created everything.

This "quantum" energy is proven - it is called the Casimir effect.

The LHC looks to have some interesting new results coming up too.

I'm curious that some results from Ceres has been embargoed regarding the bright spots. Supposedly a fine dust with an albedo of 50%. But some questions about the spectomtry results they are withholding.

• 3 weeks later...

This coming weekend there is s total eclipse of the Moon. It's also a "supermoon" which means the Moon is close to perigee (closest position to the Earth) so it will appear slightly larger in the sky.

Mid-eclipse is early morning on Sunday in the UK, so late evening Saturday for those of you in North America.

I doubt I shall be getting up to see it - we have two of the granddaughters staying and Mrs BBD will brain me if I wake them up.

This coming weekend there is s total eclipse of the Moon. It's also a "supermoon" which means the Moon is close to perigee (closest position to the Earth) so it will appear slightly larger in the sky.

Mid-eclipse is early morning on Sunday in the UK, so late evening Saturday for those of you in North America.

I doubt I shall be getting up to see it - we have two of the granddaughters staying and Mrs BBD will brain me if I wake them up.

The UK? Damn.

What would be your guess of the number of star systems in the Milky Way Galaxy?

If that were my case, Mrs. Elegarth would brain me if DIDN'T planned to wake them up ;)