TWPChooses #29

Giovanniland

Seeing into the future  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather have the ability to see:

• ...10 minutes into the future?
    • ...10 years into the future?

Whenever I have found myself wanting to know what the future holds, most of the time, I'm wanting to know only the immediate future, so being able to see 10 minutes into the future would be more useful I guess. It's ok to disagree with me - I can see many advantages for seeing 10 years into the future instead.

Question doesn't state that its a one time use deal so definitely 10 years.

With literally everything being on the internets now, I could just hop onto the Boogles (Microsoft finally gave up trying to make Bing popular and just bought Google in 2032) and pull the biggest lotteries and stock blowups and amass a fortune which id then use to fund a private army and overthrow Norway and Denmark, raising a cyber Viking horde and start pillaging the English country side. 

On 8/25/2023 at 11:42 AM, Dilber said:

Can you change the future or only view it and it's immutable?

Does this power destroy free will?

the people must know

Some tough questions :lol:

I think some people would inevitably use their new-found knowledge about the future to change it. An example I've heard before is that: a prediction is made by an advisor to the king that a revolution will happen, so the king can lower taxes and please the populace. Then the revolution never happens, making the prediction false, but it could have been true had he not listened to the prediction.

Which could reduce free will in a way, since people would make decisions in a different way than they do now. 

I mean, there's a few different ways to think about this - one could think of the future as a tree of possibilities in which everything that can go one way or another creates a different alternate universe and our decisions take us to one or another. So we'd be switching in a way if we could foresee things and change our decisions because of that.