Strife in the Seas

1dF5lYW.png

Islamagna, Altana Region—21:30 International Atomic Time, 4th August 1422

It was a quiet night at one of the Giovannilandian Navy's many coast guard facilities. Located in the main island of the Isle Annovi group, some 81 nautical miles (150 km) away from the Andolian mainland, it served as an important central watchtower in the Darkesian Sea's waters, connecting Giovanniland's Auran and Andolian territories alongside many others across the Andolian coast.

However, no matter how quiet it may be, staff are always watching. Klaudia Pinario Levini, one of the officers there, had just arrived to fulfill a night shift as the day shift personnel prepared to rest, and together with her were several other people. 

Suddenly, a siren starts sounding. Klaudia looks worried, rushing to the panels used to track any suspected movements across Giovannilandian waters. "Unknown ship just detected within the 12 Nm (22 km) limit of Giovannilandian territorial sea!", she noted.

Another staff member, Amando Horatio Sousa, asked where it currently was, to which Klaudia replied, "Just off the western Andolian borders near the coastal city of Borioddo, some 135 Nm (250 km) away from this facility."

Amando thought, "Hmm... western borders...", and noted, "I do have an idea of who it may be, although we can't be sure." 

Both of them, alongside other staff present, agreed that it would be best to attempt contacting the ship. Klaudia initiated contact, and soon the ship was to receive a request of identifying themselves.

"I hope it's a friendly vessel in an accidental entry into our territorial seas...", she thought as the message was sent. 

Little did she know much more was to come...

The VRMF Striatus, a frigate in the Varanian Navy, was certainly one of the larger ships in the Varanian navy. Certainly not the largest or newest ship in the VRMF, but a powerful ship in its own right. The captain, Peyton Zontif, had been ordered to take the ship out for this small mission. Well, small is certainly a term for it…

“Go straight ahead, Podi Formes” he ordered his navigator. 

“But what about Giovanni-“ Podi questioned, before being quite quickly interrupted.

“I said straight ahead, didn’t I?” Peyton questioned.

“Yes sir,” said Podi, turning back to the navigation board.”

some time later

“Sir, we’ve received a request to identify ourselves,” stated the communications officer.

“Ignore it,” commanded Peyton, and so it was done.

• 4 weeks later...

1dF5lYW.png

Islamagna, Altana Region—21:30 International Atomic Time, 4th August 1422

Klaudia kept waiting in the room, but no answer came.

A question then came from staff member Quinto Rufino-Petrone, who had just arrived: "Still nothing?", to which Klaudia unfortunately nodded.

Meanwhile, Amando intervened with the thought: "Remember when I said I did have an idea of who it may be?"

Quinto asked, "Who do you have in mind?" 

"Varanius," Amando proposed. "I mean, we can't be sure, but the fact it's on our western border and that they seemingly ignored the request strengthens the possibility."

"Good thought," Klaudia added, "although it could also be a mishap in the unknown ship's crew."

"That's two mistakes already...", Quinto replied, "entering Giovannilandian waters and not answering our request for identification."

Klaudia pointed out, "Do remember that there isn't officially a territorial water agreement in Esferos, so other nations may not recognize our claim, which is important to have in mind if we seek further contact. Nevertheless, we're still acting on it, thoughts on contacting once more?"

Amando and Quinto both nodded in agreement, although the latter inquired, "what if they keep ignoring our request for the ship to identify themselves?"

"Well," Klaudia explained, "then we may have to resort to confronting the ship directly with a presence of a Giovannilandian one. She'll notice the company soon enough..."

"That's worst case, though, since I am hoping this is a misunderstanding," she added.

Quinto responded, "Let's hope so. In the meantime, are the Borioddo coast guards aware of this? They're the closest to the ship as things stand, but it's a lesser facility in comparison to Islamagna."

"Oh, yes, they are aware. I've let their chief officer, Gabriello Veltano, know about this incident, and they are also conscious of the support that we can provide."

"And our command in Porto Violeto?", Amando remembered.

"That I shall contact soon, once I send the message to this unruly ship. I mean, they've most surely got a notification, but I shall notify them that our Andolian facilities are already dealing with this case."

A few minutes later, the unknown ship was contacted for the second time, and the Giovannilandian Navy's leadership was now cognizant of her."

• 1 month later...

“Another request” states the communications officer, unsure of what could possibly be going through the captain’s mind. She turned to look at him, waiting for his response.

“Answer it.” Peyton proclaimed. “And while you’re at it, notify the mainland Varanians that we’ve established contact.” She turned to her computer, and accepted the call before going to type up the message for the Varanian command. The line has been opened.

“You rang?” Peyton asked snarkily.