(Uitreiking Één) Reçueçns Drie Artikelen voor Dass Nachrichten

Hariko

Okay, I guess. I'll post Reçueçn's articles here since it's already made.

I just hope we don't end up with fifty million threads to wade through after several issues.

Okay, I guess. I'll post Reçueçn's articles here since it's already made.

I just hope we don't end up with fifty million threads to wade through after several issues.

We kinda will, but it won't be that bad.

Or I know, I'll get an archive to put them in.

I just checked and I don't think you have admin privileges for this subforum. It doesn't say TWP Guardian at the bottom. I have admin perms though, so you might want to talk to Westy.

Never mind.

Artikel één

(Note: BBCode quotes are optimised for factbooks, if you plan on publishing it on a forum, you might need to modify them)

[size=290][font=Times New Roman]The History of The West Pacific’s Constitutional Convention, 2015[/size][/font]
[size=150][font=Times New Roman]Part I: Events Leading up to the Constitutional Convention[/size][/font]

[b][region]The West Pacific[/region] | by [url=https://www.nationstates.net/nation=recuecn]Reçueçn[/url][/b][hr][quote=Article Highlights;11978791]•Executive Council Act error results in renaming of Speaker office to Prime Minister
•Speaker resigns, elections for prime minister begin
•Elections and runoff are tied
•Constitutional convention convened to condense TWP law[/quote][hr]
[size=130][font=Times New Roman][b]ADMINISTRATION ISLAND—[/b]One can usually see most constitutional reforms and changes of government coming well in advance, usually brought on by discontentment, controversial major issues, perceived problems in the system of government, and economic or political crises. Watching the political system of a feeder stall to the point where it has to be scrapped entirely is a rare event, and the forum government of The West Pacific has been dissolved after a shockingly quick decline, much to the surprise of the public and even the members of the former government themselves. 

A couple legislative proposals moving through the [b]Holy Grand Assembly[/b] apparently had the capability to turn the entire system into gridlock. The key bill, the [b]Executive Council Act[/b], would give the Prime Minister the power to choose the ministers of foreign, World Assembly, community and home affairs; in other words, appoint a cabinet. The bill appeared to be passed with ease, but unfortunately, some oversight in the drafting of the bill gave the powers to a Prime Minister whose office did not exist in the previous government. The intended position the bill was supposed to give its powers to was the Speaker of the Holy Grand Assembly. To correct the error, the Executive Council Act was followed by the [b]Act on the Official Head of Government of the Imperium[/b]. The act consisted of a single sentence:

[quote= Act on the Official Head of Government of the Imperium;11965948]All references to an office of “Speaker” in laws previously passed by the legislature shall hereby be replaced with references to the office of “Prime Minister.”
[/quote]
 The renaming of the office increased attention to a gradual evolution that was present in The West Pacific even before the Executive Council Act. The trend was one away from a speaker whose main job was to smooth voting, manage the assembly, and facilitate legislation, to one who in fact held an executive position. As observers and members had noticed, the speakers began to and continued to exercise more power preceding the passage of the Executive Council Act. 

Regardless, [nation=short]Elegarth[/nation], the current Speaker, responded to the trend by announcing his resignation on April 12th, when the Act on the Official Head of Government of the Imperium was passed:

[quote=elegarth;11978791]The reason is quite simple: I was elected to be your speaker, and with recently introduced acts the position has changed enough so that I don't feel it would be correct not to open a new election or to just take the post. It seems the correct, right and lawful thing to do.[/quote]
Elegarth’s resignation, however, did not indicate a lack of desire to elected prime minister, going so far as to be campaigning the day after his nomination. The campaigning was fierce, and the election became polarising. Despite the tremendous efforts [/size] made by both candidates, the final vote was counted. 
[quote=Official Results;11978791][color=red]ELEGARTH:[/color] [b]10[/b] (Nox, Reçueçn, Little Sealand, Archsium, Mediobogdum, Westwind, cluntobone, Yy4u, Eli, Elegarth)

[color=green]LLAMAS:[/color] [b]10[/b] (Ike, A fish in the Sea, Hariko, lemonpledge, punkdaddy, LLamas, Cormac, Sad-States, Pestarzt, URAP)

[color=grey]ABSTAIN:[/color] 0

[i]INVALID VOTES:[/i] 3 (Fealess, Tomb, Soguisoguikawaiiland)[/quote]

The procedure outlined in the [b]General Elections Guidelines Act[/b] for a tied vote called for a run-off vote to be held three days later between the tied candidates. A campaign was made to publicise the voting, and the second vote had a much larger turn-out than the first. This second vote also resulted in a tie, strangely enough.

During the second round of voting, [nation=short]Archsium[/nation] started a discussion in the Holy Grand Assembly on [b][i]Dramatic Legal Reform?![/b][/i] in which he proposed a method to end the gridlock by reforming the legal code. Since the passage of the Executive Council Act, among others, the laws of The West Pacific had become many separately passed acts and documents, necessitating reading through a veritable maze of legislation to find and understand completely the laws on a single subject. Archsium’s idea was to keep the current laws and government, but re-format them into a single, eloquent, cohesive document.

In the discussion he began, however, others advocated making changes during this reform, so that the laws would in fact have different effect afterwards. The discussion moved slowly until the end of the second round of voting; immediately upon the second tie vote, [nation=short]that_called_the_vlagh[/nation], Minister of Legislative RP (a position with admittedly difficult to understand implications and powers), as representative of [nation=short]Darkesia[/nation], the delegate, rejected the resignation of Elegarth from two weeks earlier. Elegarth then used the executive powers of the Prime Minister to dissolve the Holy Grand Assembly and call a constitutional convention. While the legality of the Prime Minister’s dissolution of the body that elected him is questionable, it would otherwise have been done legally by Vlagh, and was definitely the right decision to make, even if not made by the right person.

On the same day that this vote ended and the constitutional convention was begun, Darkesia added even more pressure by announcing:

[quote=darkesia;11979911]Also. Just a reminder: Delegate transition will happen on schedule regardless of the chaos in which the forum exists. It would be best if y'all got at least a minimum of organization going.[/quote]The tension was palpable during the constitutional convention.[hr][b]About the Journalist[/b]

[nation=short]Recuecn[/nation] is a correspondent for [i]Dass Nachrichten[/i], and the Deputy Advocate of Foreign Affairs for the TWP forum government. He is also a Guardian for the on-site TWP government. Call him Reçu, he says.

Reçueçn is a Teikei member and nation with a hilariously complex legal system. Send him a telegram at https://www.nationstates.net/page=compose_telegram?tgto=Recuecn .[hr][url=http://www.westpacific.org/forums/index.php?/forum/60-dass-nachrichten/]©2015 Dass Nachrichten[/url][/font]

Artikel twee:

[size=290][font=Times New Roman]The History of The West Pacific’s Constitutional Convention, 2015[/size][/font]
[size=150][font=Times New Roman]Part II: The Constitutional Convention[/size][/font]

[b][region]The West Pacific[/region] | by [url=https://www.nationstates.net/nation=recuecn]Reçueçn[/url][/b][hr][quote=Article Highlights;8444056]•Constitutional Convention convened
•Llamas and Cormac draft constitutions
•Llamas does not submit constitution before deadline
•The Charter of the Union of The West Pacific ratified with 26 yay and 1 nay[/quote][hr]
[size=130][font=Times New Roman][b]ADMINISTRATION ISLAND—[/b]The Constitutional Convention began with the thread @Consular had created, [url=http://www.westpacific.org/forums/index.php?/topic/1349-dramatic-legal-reform/]Dramatic Legal Reform[/url], being brought into a new [url=http://www.westpacific.org/forums/index.php?/forum/58-constitutional-convention/]Constitional Convention forum[/url]. Discussion began to turn from his original idea of simply condensing all the existing laws to completely re-hauling the content as well as the format. The main change proposed was by Llamas, who wished to see a bicameral legislature, with a lower house in-game and an upper house on the forums. This was opposed both by those who pointed out it would place duties or restrictions on the delegate and presume the superiority of the forum government, contrary to long-standing TWP tradition, and also by those who felt it would be too bureaucratic or oligarchic.

Thus the first proposed constitutional draft, by Cormac, offered an alternate option to Llamas' opinions. The notable characteristics of the draft were its simplicity, new streamlined look, rhetoric, assembly and position titles, its direct discussion of the relations between the Delegate and the off-site forums, and its lack of permission for “the Voice of the Union,” the proposed regional assembly, to write legislation that was not either an amendment to the charter, an inter-regional treaty, or rules of order.

Llamas soon came back with his own draft. It had a legislative branch of two chambers, with the lower being the Legislative Assembly, which consisted of every WA member in the region, which was to vote by regional poll. The upper chamber was the Executive Council, which consisted of the Prime Minister and his appointed Ministers. This chamber was assumed to be on the forums (although this was not explicitly stated) and although its members would be executive officials, it was considered to have the legislative initiative. Llamas’ draft, unlike Cormac’s, also made provision for a judicial branch, which would consist of a single regional court.

Unfortunately, the debating in the convention soon lost its friendly tone. Elegarth, who supported Cormac’s proposal, and Llamas began to spar in such a manner that they had to be asked by others to refrain from doing so.

[url=http://www.westpacific.org/forums/index.php?/topic/1364-the-union-of-the-west-pacific/?p=26739]The vast majority of people appeared to favor Cormac’s proposal[/url]. They felt that Llamas’ let the forum government—always separate from the delegacy in TWP—leak too much in-game, as it called for the use of in-game polls. @That Called the Vlagh provided editing suggestions for Llamas, changing the Legislative Assembly to consist of all members of the off-site community rather than WA member on-site. Although he clarified that these were just suggestions and more conversation could be held, Vlagh also said:

[quote=that_called_the_vlagh;8444056]Ultimately if I feel that the documents being presented do not represent current reality here in TWP fully they will not be put forward for approval (unless I am overruled by the Delegate, of course).

The imposition of WA membership on members of the off-site community government is not in keeping with the purpose of this convention.  This is unacceptable.  Further, it should be clear that the off-site community government is just that, the government of the off-site community.  TWP maintains that the Delegate is head of government for the region and in-game 'head of state'.[/quote]

Llamas, however, never commented on the edits. When asked if he would submit or edit his draft, he said he was too busy due to AP testing, so when the ratification vote began a week later, it was a simple yes/no vote on Cormac’s draft—the only one submitted. The Charter was almost unanimously accepted. 26 nations voted in favour, with the first vote (not counting Vlagh’s, who voted when he opened voting) coming from Llamas. Only a single nation, @Benjamin Mark, known as Simple Country on The West Pacific’s forums, voted against. He did not respond when asked for comment.

The Charter of The Union of The West Pacific was now the law of the land.[/font][/size]

[hr][size=100][font=Times New Roman][b]About the Journalist[/b]

[nation=short]Recuecn[/nation] is a correspondent for [i]Dass Nachrichten[/i], and the Deputy Advocate of Foreign Affairs for the TWP forum government. He is also a Guardian for the on-site TWP government. Call him Reçu, he says.

Reçueçn is a Teikei member and nation with a hilariously complex legal system. Send him a telegram at https://www.nationstates.net/page=compose_telegram?tgto=Recuecn .[hr][url=http://www.westpacific.org/forums/index.php?/forum/60-dass-nachrichten/]©2015 Dass Nachrichten[/url][/font][/size]

Artikel drie:

[size=150][font=Times New Roman]Part III: Epilogue[/size][/font]

[b][region]The West Pacific[/region] | by [url=https://www.nationstates.net/nation=recuecn]Reçueçn[/url][/b][hr][quote=Article Highlights;8444056]•Elegarth elected for Advocate of the Voice of the Union
•Deputy Advocates appointed
•Regional newspaper formed
•Darkesia publicly announces successor[/quote][hr][size=130][font=Times New Roman][b]ADMINISTRATION ISLAND—[/b]As soon as the new constitution was brought in, elections began once again. This time, @Elegarth had little difficulty getting elected. [url=http://www.westpacific.org/forums/index.php?/topic/1419-officerz-for-the-voice-of-twp-union/]He soon announced his Deputy Advocates[/url], shortened to “DAs.” He appointed five DAs originally: the Deputy Advocates of WA, Internal, Foreign, Military, and Intel Affairs. For these posts he chose @Occidius, @Hariko, @Recuecn, @Punk Daddy, and @That Called the Vlagh, respectively. Elegarth also mentioned the lack of an official TWP newspaper. @United RussoAsia had taken the initiative of forming a newspaper [url=http://www.westpacific.org/forums/index.php?/forum/60-dass-nachrichten/](Dass Nachrichten)[/url] independently of the announcement and was thus named the DA of Media Affairs. The new officers have begun work, reorganizing long vacant offices, organizing activities, tracking WA resolutions, and planning for the future.

Concerning her successor, Darkesia announced on the WFE the incoming Delegate and Guardians: United RussoAsia as Delegate, and Elegarth, @Mediobogdum, Recuecn and @Yy4u as Guardians. The old delegate and guardians have announced they plan to step back and allow new influences in TWP. The West Pacific’s future potentially holds much change, but to say what kind of change exactly is difficult without using the clichés of “only time will tell” or “we’ll have to wait and see.” 

[hr][b]About the Journalist[/b]

Reçueçn is a Teikei member and nation with a hilariously complex legal system. Send him a telegram at https://www.nationstates.net/page=compose_telegram?tgto=Recuecn .[hr][url=http://www.westpacific.org/forums/index.php?/forum/60-dass-nachrichten/]©2015 Dass Nachrichten[/url][/font][/size]

Reçueçn, wil jij mij artikel twee combineren met artikel drie? Artikel drie is klein...