Game Suggestion: Natives & Revolutions

punkdaddy

Posted on the NS Forums. Thoughts?

Aiiiyygghtt…

After years of whining, I'm finally getting off my lazy behind and actually thinking of an improvement to the R/D game rather than my perfunctory “please get rid of influence” rant.

Native Registration

This would work like offsite forum gameplay citizen registration in that nations can become registered residents of a region and be the true (and only) definition of “native”. To summarize the process:

• Nation X joins Region A.
  • On Nation X’s nation page there would be a button called “Apply for Native Status” or something.
  • Nation X clicks the button.
  • A Telegram is sent to the Founder. In the region’s administration there would be, like pending embassy apps, pending Natives applications.
  • The Founder would accept or reject the application. Note: Nations would have the ability to apply again after a certain timeframe (2, 5,7 days?)
  • If accepted, Nation X would have a small badge “Native” and on the regional page “Natives” would be denoted by something (“NN”[Native Nation] as an example)

Founders would not have the ability to remove Natives once accepted. Natives lose their native badge when they leave the region either by banjection or voluntarily. The former is a bit problematic but I’m not quite sure how to get around this just yet.

Ejecting a native would carry an extra influence cost above the current natives influence level, perhaps something like 1.05.

In GCR’s the sitting delegate would have the same powers as the Founder in terms of conveying native status.

A follow up idea, is the concept of a “revolution”.

Revolution

A revolution would occur when natives vote to remove a delegate from power (the game would send the delegate to TRR regardless of influence level) and when natives vote to revolt against their founder stripping the founder nation of his/her powers making the region a founderless region. Natives then would have the opportunity to select a new founder.

Potential Impacts on R/D game

Well, I have always felt that the definition of a “native” has been dubious, at best, for years. Raiders can come in raid and wreck a region, boot everybody, and refound a region saying that because they had a couple of plants there for a week or so they were 'native'. Some raiders are just looking to tag regions and that would continue but we’ve seen instances of raiders completely disrupting a community. The natives haven't had much of way to combat raiders other than unendo telegrams and requesting aide from defenders.The concept of ‘native’ gives natives a bit of efficacy in many ways. Bad founder? Give him/her the boot. Bad delegate? Adios. Raiders in your region? Gone. Obviously, founders, delegates, and raiders could banject the natives to TRR and remove some of their political opponents. However, if there is a struggle natives would have a fighting chance unlike they really have today.

Another outcome I see is raiders and defenders looking to “stack” in regions so that they control the ‘natives’ in particular regions. To me this would happen in a ‘war’ and really there would need be significant espionage to do this as any competent founder isn’t going to accept any random ol’ native application. Still – I foresee the defenders and raiders attempting to try and control/manipulate native votes.

I’m sure there are a number of other impacts good and bad, but this is just the overall concept to give non-R/D paradigm players a tool to exact change in their regions.

The Native Registration sounds interesting. My first thought is all the intel agents infiltrating regions by applying to be a Native, and then wrecking havoc once they've gotten it.

How about a Administrative option to set an 'Immigration' policy, that provides mutliple options (like an issue) as to how nations are classed in the region ?

I'm kinda mixed on the Revolution concept. I think it needs to be fleshed out further before I could get my head around it.

This is interesting. I like the idea of Native registration mostly because this would have in immediate impact on the relationship between offsite governments and gameplay as well as giving a huge boost to the espionage game. The need to investigate and track native applications and their associated players would necessitate the useof off site tracking methods. And the challenge of making sure you "have a dog in the fight" in each major region would re-militarize and re-vitalize the intelligence game.

The idea of revolution is good too, except for the part where a new founder is elected. If a region boots it's own founder, they have an elected delegate to protect them. If they want a new founder, they actually want a new region.

On the NS boards, not a lot of excitement for the ideas, but I'm glad you all are getting the concept behind my idea,

I actually think native registration is the better of the two because once you register natives it provides you with opportunities to do other things. I think people on the NS forums are getting hung up on the revolution and, i nearly excluded founder revolutions because I knew it would be a sticking point.

One person argued that influence is basically the same thing as this but influence is a passive power unless you're delegate. This would lead to more active participation.

I would like to see the idea of revolting against the founder in a founderless region. If the region could revolt and elect a new founder (like replacing a defunct dynasty with a stronger one), active founderless regions could regroup against the R&D game and have a real chance at creating a new and uninterrupted community.