2004: Speech by Great Bight upon taking the TNP Delegacy

Westwind

Sometimes I'm surprized what I find in my archives....

TRANSLATION (for our friends who don't speak Pirate)

State of the Region Address

My neighbors,

Many of our residents celebrated Independence Day recently. I am sure that, now, with the return of freedom for ourselves we will all learn to appreciate it more. Many of us asked ourselves, and remember when I asked of you, "what next?" This is an event unprecedented in our shared North Pacific history, it is natural for us to be a little baffled at this moment in time. Something must have snapped in UPS Rail's mind that day, 29 June, or maybe he had been planning it for some time; we cannot be sure. I am not sure why he chose to resign like he did, though I welcome our formerly exiled nations back home. I do know that an NPO sympathizing nation who became a despot has now entombed itself in the Rejected Realms and will likely cease to exist in four weeks. In the three instances of his rejections he banned the most well-known and prolific of our nations, which included those who, with the aid of their neighbors here, would surely have overtaken him in endorsements and overthrown him (booted his ass out, I should say) just as I would have done.

When UPS Rail left it was only logical by the game mechanics that someone succeed him, I simply had the most endorsements at that time. Some of us remember my telegrams to them, mentioning my reckless charge to unseat UPS Rail. Indeed, I was feeling reckless. I am not sure why I was picked to become the next delegate, surely if he had put more than five minutes of thought into it he would have noticed my nation along with the rest and I would have been no better off than some of our friends.
I realize how relatively unknown I may be to much of you, in this case I had chosen to use it to my advantage. Simply put, UPS Rail probably would not have thought to look for me and my mad endorsement-gathering effort. I really do hope for us to get to know each other better.
What next, friends? There is nothing we can do except all float on. A return to normalcy is paramount in our objective. However, we have been radically affected by these events. I realize these are only products of our time, but I am sure there are others who wonder when did THAT happen. Many structures of the government are lacking, some of our allies have abandoned us, we still face one of the greatest crises in our history; emotions and everything else are running high. Things are too heavy right now. It is time to start over, friends. I know we can do anything together no matter what. Even if things end up a bit too heavy we'll all float on.

The North Pacific will temporarily remove ourselves of all alliances, treaties, blocs, and intrarregional organizations. It is not prudent to keep them at this time. Our situation calls for letting us handle our own problems on our own, and we are not in a situation to handle another region's problems. For some, it is simply natural that we are to do so. During the last crisis where were our allies? Those that did come to our aid are honorable and we should not forget them, they will always be welcome to visit the North Pacific again, however that is not the case across the board. There is a general feeling within the North Pacific that the Alliance Defense Network, of which we have been a silent and forgotten participant of for a very long time, abandoned us. If an organization pledged to defend us and then punish transgressors fails at this, what good is it for us to be part of a treaty like that? All embassies and offices in foreign organizations must temporarily be closed. This includes our previous involvement of sorts in the New Pacific Order. For those who have held important posts in such positions, I'm sure a small solution or compromise may be reached. It is time for a new beginning; I'm certain that some day we will be able to take up our old place again in the world, but for now we must withdraw from the world.

This is nothing new for a Pacific region, I'm afraid. It is a sad fact that an endorsement cap must be quickly be enacted for the North Pacific. But it is for the security of this region that such be made. Friends, I do not wish to be looked on as a tyrant. I also see that we cannot limit our leadership to an old clique, no matter how practical it may seem, new blood and ideas must be had for our region to thrive. Nations such as Melanalios, relative unknowns to most, should be commended for answering the call to protect the region. Because of that you will find my attempted at law and order quite liberal. All nations are free to accumulate up to 180 endorsements. Please do not intentionally go past that number. I recognize that one has already reached that and some are near, it's just plain silly to ask someone to somehow *lose* endorsements; nations that currently have that many may go up to 200, but please no more. For other Pacific regions, especially you'll recall the first Pacific, this is very free.

In recognition of his truly outstanding service to the region I encourage you all to give endorsements to Thel DRan. Having done so much for the people of the North Pacific, passionately nominated by her people to run (and because I want him to give me a good place on the region map, I declare Thel DRan as the vice-delegate of the region. In the unpositive event that I may disappear he should be nearby to safely take the helm after me. I'm sure he will lead you all wisely when I am gone.

I'd like to make a general plea to the nations of the North Pacific to stop any unendorsement campaigns that may be currently be ongoing against me. The security in number of endorsements for the delegate is paramount to the security of the region. When or if my endorsement level rises to a much safer level so will the endorsement cap. It's only a preventative measure. Also I have feelings too, you know? When more respect is given to the captain of the ship of state, more and better goodwill between all naturally follows. Also it's friendly advice: to my recollection they have been considered spam and/or flame mail.
It is my understanding that a few nations are less than satisfied with the government in its current form. I have not yet formed a firm opinion if the constitution should be abolished completely to be replaced with absolutism, or made stricter, or replaced with something else, but the topic has merit. I think we should discuss it as a region and see what the best option is to make everyone happy.

I also ask that foreign soldiers please go home. Many of you were here during the crisis and your help was appreciated; however it seems most of you have chosen to show up only now.

It may seem like a lot of radical changes, friends, but it is time for us to start over, the most free way we can. A return to normalcy is paramount in our objective, it is best to never give up our calm and friendly waters. We must also aim to build a new society in the North Pacific, together. We will all float on.

Good luck to ye, mates
Captain Yellowbeard
Captain, the Muddy Duck
A ship with black sails that's crewed by the damned and never leaves any survivors
(never you mind where the stories came from)
King of Great Bight
Prince of Gur (Afghanistan)
Prince of Vancouver Island
Emperor of the North Pacific
Protector of the East Pacific
Only a little odd in the head
A man so evil that Hell spat him back out, probably because of the bad taste
Once disappeared under the very eyes of agents of the East India Company
Once sacked Nassau Port without firing a shot
Knows a little island filled with rum; doesn't mind being marooned there that much