I Really hate SPAMers . . .

Winnipeg

So I was looking at my stats in the Admin Panel....so far this year we've stopped nearly 7000 SPAMers from registering...and those are only the ones that made it by the built in spam controls from Invision... so how knows how many have actually been stopped.

Anyway, here is a fun little info graphic for us to remember it by.

It should be noted that December 2012 has 0 for it's numbers...so I think the Stop Forum SPAM plugin mashed Decemeber 2012 and Janruary 2013 together, I don't think we had a bumper crop of spam registrations in Jan...

post-1-0-99515300-1378068533_thumb.png

I was surprised by the huge increase in SPAMers that were hitting Equilism after I upgraded the forum there.  There must be some kind of searching going on that's targeting the specific IPB version in use, or a listing of IPB licensing.  Otherwise the jump after the upgrade there makes no sense.  I was getting well over 300 per day for a couple weeks there.

Yeah, not sure what draws them in to be honest....

At work the school district website has a form for signing up for the district (and individual schools) newsletter, and the number of spam emails I get in there is rediculous, like they think it's some sort of commenting system.   The Feedback system was even worst, but I've since replaced it with a revamped version that has a spam filter in place...not one piece of spam since I enacted it.

Some years back I had found there was a forum of hackers that were dedicated to discovering and using IPB exploits.  They would maintain lists of IPB forums for targets, which ones were more secure, which ones were easy targets, what had been tried, etc.  It's a hobby for some.

And beside the spambots, there are real humanbots paid to spam forums, in order to thwart additions to registrations forms that confuse the spambots.

Yeap, I've seen a few forums like that...IPB, phpBB, VB, SimpleMachines, you name it, they've got a "working group" to hack it.  This is one of the reasons that you don't see the version number in the footer of IPB, or any major Forum Software anymore.

Btw, I'll be sending you a link later this evening with some changes I've made...