¿Cómo se dice...?

Hariko

Just throwing this out there:

When you start speaking a different language from your primary language, do you translate the words in your head as you speak?

I don't know about the rest of you, but for me, I sort of go into what I call “Spanish mode” or “Dutch mode” where after a while, I start thinking in that language and associate objects with those words. Like for example, show me the red fruit in Spanish class and I'll instantly think «manzana», not “apple.” Does anyone else do this?

After being in a foreign language class for a while, when someone asks me a question in English, my brain locks up for a moment and I have to try to get my mind to think in English again before I can answer. Anything similar happen to you guys?

Sometimes. I am currently learning German, Italian, Spanish (reluctantly), Dutch, Turkish, Portuguese, Thai (trying to, at least), and Klingon (and I'm hoping to find a way to learn Arabic), but I can sustain a good conversation in German and Italian, and I will occasionally think of the word for something in one of those languages, like "anatra" instead of "duck", and if I tried to impersonate Germanyball, I would eventually just be speaking full German. I also rarely count in English. I know how to count to 10 in English, Spanish, German, Italian, Dutch, Klingon, Arabic, Russian, and Chinese, and I'm trying to memorize it in Thai and Korean. When I count things in my head, I often count in either German or Arabic if I don't expect to be counting any higher than 10 (12 is the highest I can go in Arabic ['ahad 'ashar]).

By the way, in case you were wondering;

German; Eins, zwei, drei, vier, fünf, sechs, sieben, acht, neun, zehn.

Dutch; Een, twee, drie, vier, vijf, zes, zeven, acht, negen, tien.

Spanish; Uno, dos, tres, cuatro, cinco, seis, siete, ocho, nueve, diez.

Italian; Una, due, tre, quattro, cinque, sei, sette, otto, nove, dieci.

Arabic; Wahid, ithnaan, thalatha, arba'a, khamsa, sitta, sab'a, thamaaniya, tis'a, 'ashara.

Klingon: wa', cha', wej, loS, vagh, jav, Soch, chorgh, Hut, wa'maH

Russian: Odin, dva, tri, chetir, pyat, shest, sem, bosem, devyat, desyat.

Chinese: Yī, ér, sān, sı, wu, liu, chi, baa, jiu, shı.

ehehehe *-* sounds a lot like my old Stats professor. Only difference was he mumbled and swore in Dutch o.o for no reason, I might add. 

Nostalgic memories :wub:  

To be honest, I swear in Klingon a lot.

• 6 months later...