News from the NS Downtime

Westwind

A couple players were able to stay logged in to the NS forums during the current downtime.  I found this post funny:

by Morlodania » 

This is boring. Someone talk to me.

Okay, I'll talk to ya.

EDIT: I feel like I'm the only person online right now... That's rather depressing...

Edit2: So... There are between three and four players online at any given time right now... As well as between five and seven of the bots that float around... This has to be the emptyest I have ever seen the forums in my life... Probably because of the fact that the servers are screwy so no one can log in. I never logged out, so I'm still here... How glorious.

Edit3: Wait... This means I have the WHOLE forums to myself... I... I could be so evil... I could do anything... So much power... Ah, screw it, I'm just gonna make a mess of everything by gluing all the furniture to the ceiling, and making everything look like the forums are LITERALLY upside down.

Edit4: So... It's been FOUR hours of NS being crashed now... This is getting to the point where it's crazy. I've run out of things to mess with.

Edit5: Approaching the 5 hour mark... I'm so lonely in here...

Error

ServerGoBoom.jpg

Something went seriously wrong.

Technical Support

You have T minus three minutes to reach minimum safe distance.

From [violet]

The game server has gone down twice in the past week for significant periods of time due to a bug in the sessions manager. There is a race condition that means it's possible for the sessions manager to query itself, which deadlocks the process and leaves the rest of the site unable to communicate with it. The sessions manager is an essential part of the site and gameside doesn't work without it. The forums stay up but with no sidebar and no logins.

This bug has been around for years but for some reason has only triggered recently. I have written a fix but it's still in local testing. Should arrive in the next 24 hours. In the meantime, there is a new utility that checks on the sessions manager every so often and restarts it if it seems to be deadlocked.

Admin does get auto-notifications via email when the site goes down, but depending on the time of day there isn't always someone around to deal with it.