McM Re-Elected: Interview with TNP Del

New Kervoskia

McM Re-Elected: Interview with TNP Del

victory.jpg

McMasterdonia celebrates his re-election

Magicality City, The North Pacific. Election's over. Things are back to normal and “vote” has once again become a four-letter word, but the crinkled campaign placards and peeled-off bumper stickers are a reminder of the previous night's events. The capitol is calm, or as calm as it'll get anyway, as I make my way to the delegate's office. McMasterdonia, recently re-elected Delegate of The North Pacific, was already up, ready to get down to business.

First of all, congratulations on your re-election. 35-7 isn't a bad margin

Haha, thanks.

Alright let's jump right in. A lot of candidates talk about culture. I don't think I've seen a campaign that hasn't. So would you elaborate on your plans?

Well, The North Pacific has a rich, vibrant culture and our citizens are diverse with people from all around the world from different backgrounds, both raider and defender, and I would like to see us develop further as a region. Roleplay initiatives have really taken off in TNP recently and I want to do what I can do foster its growth.

You can say a lot about TNP's culture but what first comes to mind?

Robust debate, strong minded individuals, a firm belief in independence, and an undivided loyalty to the region. That's why I want to continue to develop the University as a tool for discussion, debate and the sharing of ideas. I think if we lay the foundations for it now, it will be far more successful than the previous University.

Leaving something for future generations.

Exactly. I want to put the effort into it to ensure that it'll be around long after I'm Delegate.

Looking towards the Regional Assembly, you've mentioned oversight of the North Pacific Intelligence Agency as key goal. Why such an emphasis on oversight now?

In the past year, there were issues facing TNP that made it clear to me that we needed an official agency that could address these concerns, in cooperation with the Security Council. Oversight is important in particular for this organization, as its director (at this stage at least) is appointed by the Delegate on the advice of its own members. I want to see the Regional Assembly reach a positive agreement regarding oversight of the NPIA because the residents of the North Pacific expect an open and transparent government. Nobody would be happy with an organization that operates entirely under it's own authority and not accountable to anyone.

The past few terms have seen TNP play a greater role on the international stage. What can we expect from your administration?

TNP's strongest relationships are with Osiris and The South Pacific. In the coming term the three of us certainly will be expanding upon our military and diplomatic relationships. I'd also like for the Department of Foreign Affairs to be more streamlined. Tougher requirement for forum embassies and less in-game embassies granted, excepting of course our long-time diplomatic partners and allies.

You've also got the distinction as the largest region in the game.

Yep and we can certainly be a force to be reckoned with, but I want to ensure all actions taken by TNP on the international scene should be done for our interests and also to help our friends and allies during their time of need.

How does that play into the R/D game?

Well, I've never been interested in putting TNP into some straight black and white ideology. It's true that the North Pacific Army has been involved in far more defender activities than raider ones, but as a region we value our independence and take part in activities that are important to us.

Gonna go back a little bit. You didn't get an easy start going into the job. First the recall then the special election. How do you think you handled yourself overall?

I think as a whole I handled myself well. I admit that there were some errors made, but it's been a learning experience for the region, and for me of course. Eluvatar is a friend of mine, and I didn't particularly like seeing someone who I thought was a good Delegate disappearing and having to end his Delegacy in such a way. Following that, there was some serious issues facing TNP. On the one hand, we were seriously divided over the recall, on the other there were some significant unendorsement campaigns. This to an extent, forced the Executive leadership, to come together and to really focus on what was the right thing to do for the region at the time. One positive thing about it was that we all pulled together to deal with the crisis. It was also good to see that TNP has many friends abroad always willing to help us should we ever need it, as we would help them.

I don't think it was long after that, that you were accidentally ejected from the WA.

Ah yes, to be honest I had almost forgotten about that. I had that day decided to come onto IRC first, and had not yet checked NS or even the forum. It became clear to me then, that there were still people who were very quick to take the opportunity to discredit me. A friend said to me, that some of the sharks had already began to circle once the news broke. Then again, few people question the moderators' decisions. Luckily, a friend of mine who was around at the time was able to keep people calm and encouraged them to wait until they knew for sure what had been going on.

In the end though TNP came together.

Absolutely. The region did rally behind me and we were all very glad to put that day behind us.

Well, that's all I have. I know a delegate's schedule is always strained so I appreciate your time.

No problem, always glad to sit down and chat.

-----

Written by New Kervoskia

The Pacific Post : Your world, your news.

Proudly Part of PNN