The TWP Astronomy Thread

Bhang Bhang Duc

Ah I love the cold. When summer easily gets 100 degrees, and you've been stuck in a desert halfway accross the world from your home that reaches about 110 sometimes and barely rarely rains for a month. You'll get my standpoint.

Whens the next Geminid meteor shower? I couldn't find an estimation online.

Ah I love the cold. When summer easily gets 100 degrees, and you've been stuck in a desert halfway accross the world from your home that reaches about 110 sometimes and barely rarely rains for a month. You'll get my standpoint.

Whens the next Geminid meteor shower? I couldn't find an estimation online.

In 2015, the Geminids will peak between December 13 and 14. A waxing crescent Moon (Moon's phase after a New Moon) will create good conditions for viewing the shower.

http://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/meteor-shower/geminids.html

• 2 weeks later...

Comet Lovejoy is becoming visible from the northern hemisphere about now.  You will need binoculars to see it - it's about mag 5.5 (mag 6 is the faintest you can see normally).

Currently in the constellation of Lepus, which sits below Orion.  The comet is moving northwesterly, through Eridanus up into Taurus over the next week or so.

Check Sky and Telescope for finder charts.

Did see Comet Lovejoy the other night - only just mind you.  It was in the light polluted murk close to my southern horizon.  Should be better viewing now, but a bright, near-full moon will drown it out a bit.

In solar news it's looking like the maximum of this cycle may have occured in April 2014.  The sunspot numbers are smoothed in such a way that the latest smoothed number is alway six months behind the last actual month i.e. the latest smoothed number is for June 2014.

Anyway, most of the data I've seen (plus my own personal data) indicates April was the maximum.  Of course if we get another upturn in activity that can change, but I suspect April will eventually be confirmed as the time when maximum happened.

As per usual...anything interesting happening in the skies above....clouds roll in to blanket Lethbridge in snow/rain/grey.  Enjoy the Comet viewing...hopefully I'll get a chance to see it at some point this winter.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...