The TWP Astronomy Thread

Bhang Bhang Duc

Actually when most people say supermoon, they mean the mythical thing that gets passed around facebook all the time.  I got so tired of pasting links to explain the reality and telling people it's not what they think, that I just ignore the posts about it now.  You would think that after so many hoaxes about it, people might start thinking it strange that no one has seen one of these enormous moons before.  Or the companion hoax that says Mars will appear the same size as the moon.

Makes me want to facepalm hard enough to see stars...

People still believe that Nigeria has Princes with large sums of cold hard cash they need to get out of the country...

Or that Microsoft will cold call you when your PC is infected with Malware and instruct you to install a tool to remove it...

People still believe that Nigeria has Princes with large sums of cold hard cash they need to get out of the country...

Or that Microsoft will cold call you when your PC is infected with Malware and instruct you to install a tool to remove it...

How do you cancel a cheque? You mean that call wasn't from Microsoft? Shit!

I've missed this thread.

Can't say I have a favourite constellation, I try to look for the Plough whenever I look up at night purely for the fact that it's one of the only ones that I recognise.

Officially the Plough, (Big Dipper, Charles' Wain) is an asterism, not a constellation. It's a notable grouping of stars within a constellation. The constellation is Ursa Major. However, the Plough is my favourite asterism or constellation as it was the first one I learnt to recognise nearly 50 years ago. Plus it's a pointer to a number of other bright stars, not just Polaris.

Amazing video...reminds me of the year I lived in Northern Manitoba (about the same, if not a little closer to the magnetic north pole than Yellowknife).  About the only thing I miss from that year are the Northern Lights.

Although the author seems to have forgotten how to spell Canada :blink:

Here in Lethbridge, without fail the last 3 years, everytime there is a solar storm that promises good Aurora, sure enough, Clouds as far as I can see.