The TWP Astronomy Thread

Bhang Bhang Duc

• 2 weeks later...

Any eclipses upcoming BBD?

Total eclipse of the Moon on April 15.  Visible in its entirety from the USA.  Totality starts at 07:06 UT and finishes at 08:24 UT.  Partial phase starts at 05:58 UT and ends at 09:33 UT.

Total lunar eclipses are always nice to watch, seeing what colour the Moon will be when eclipsed.  No equipment necessary, just a pair of eyes.

I remember observing one once and looking to the south and seeing a nice display of the aurora australis which had been masked until then by the Moon's brightness.

Total eclipse of the Moon on April 15.  Visible in its entirety from the USA.  Totality starts at 07:06 UT and finishes at 08:24 UT.  Partial phase starts at 05:58 UT and ends at 09:33 UT.

Total lunar eclipses are always nice to watch, seeing what colour the Moon will be when eclipsed.  No equipment necessary, just a pair of eyes.

I remember observing one once and looking to the south and seeing a nice display of the aurora australis which had been masked until then by the Moon's brightness.

Those are alot harder to get a good view of compared to the northern ones.  I've only seen them from photos taken on the ISS.  Even made a video of them like 2 years ago. Three Cheers for Public Domain!

Those are alot harder to get a good view of compared to the northern ones.  I've only seen them from photos taken on the ISS.  Even made a video of them like 2 years ago. Three Cheers for Public Domain!

True, there's not much land around the magnetic latitudes where the aurora australia would be visible from.  Invercargill, where I lived, was about 46S geographic, but 55S geomagnetic.

Interestingly, the third, southernmost island of New Zealand, Stewart Island, is known as Rakiura in Maori.  Translates as "glowing skies".

Schrodinger cat's is usually overused and misunderstood anyway :P

And the funniest thing is that it was a joke in the first place. Schrodinger invented the thought experiment to disprove the very ideas that it represents: he hoped to show that the theory was completely absurd, because logically speaking, how can a cat possibly be both alive and dead?

It's extremely ironic that it has become so ubiquitous that it is practically a faux-intelligence catchphrase-- "Hey, look at me, I have a Schrodinger's Cat T-Shirt, I'm smart and knowledgeable!" 

When in fact most of the high school students who do that sort of thing don't even know the finer points of the theory it was invented to make fun of  :D