SOAPBOX

Yy4u

I am starting this thread in an attempt to get some things off my chest. Any and all are invited to post here. Bear in mind this is NOT a thread to present nor generate debates/arguements/discussions. This merely is a thread to post comment ONLY. No questions or discussions will be allowed. Just speak your "case" and be done with it.
That being said:

I am appaled and somewhat dismayed at the apparent lack of "concern" the game mods have taken towards players that continually harrass and or spam regions in this game without regard nor concern about being modded. The inaction on the part of the mods apparently supports these mow-rons and their style of "gameplay". It makes me almost ashamed to continue to play this "game".

I understand it is the holiday season, but in my mind, that is not really an "excuse" to shirk their duties/responsibilities to this game. Period. By allowing continued harrassment/spamming by these so called "players" tells me the mods indeed "Do Not Care" or "Could Care Less" about this game and should consider being replaced by more "active" players. Or at the very least, allow for more players to moderate the game to "lessen the load", if that is what the "problem" is.

One possible solution might be to create a region that TRR could send these players to that would not allow them to move nor post(But they could telegram) as there would be no rmb to post on. This region should also record their ISP so that no new nations/puppets could be generated by these playes to continue their harrassment/spamming nature. A slow death to be sure, and more humane than said players deserve for threatening the game site ToS and the very existence of NationStates.

Yes, the mods are inconsistant in their enforcement, especially during the holidays.  And are often slow.  But that is the nature of volunteer players serving as Moderators.  Though I wonder if they are understaffed, and an increase in staff would help.  Yet....increasing staff won't do much good when it is Max's policy to give the benefit of the doubt and rarely take full action.  Max also doesn't want to ban an entire school because of one or two spamming kids.

During the Thanksgiving holidays, there were a number of nations that I reported for offensive names and customizations that were never acted upon.  Some nations I rather wait on Mods to act upon rather than stain my National Happenings with their vile names upon banjecting them.  When the Mods don't act, my only choice is to ignore or banject.

It seems to me there is a shortage of Game Mods.  But if you read the site's information on Mods, you'll see you have to rise up through the ranks of Modship.  So you must start out as a forum Mod, and you won't get picked for that unless you are prolific on the NS forums.

From my point of view, they are sometimes taking days to sticky At Vote Threads. That makes it much harder to find them, and therefore much harder to have a real discussion on their merits while they're at vote.

The system they have for selecting moderators is archaic. Beyond that it is simply not sufficient to meet the demand, and while most of the time they do a very good job, they only need to drop the ball once or twice a year to look terrible.

I banned all nations offensive to me no matter the circumstance.

Heck I banned them for arguing when I told them to calm down on the RMB.

Doesn't take much with me, hair trigger so to speak.

I banned all nations offensive to me no matter the circumstance.

Heck I banned them for arguing when I told them to calm down on the RMB.

Doesn't take much with me, hair trigger so to speak.

A hair trigger keeps the wheels of progress moving and the region clear of troublemakers, while a Delegate with his/her hands tied by an offsite government leads to disharmony and discord.

It all comes down to one thing: this is OUR corner of the sandbox.  We have to sift out the roo pooh for the benefit of everyone else.  And I am pleased we have Delegates who are not tied to the forum community and subject to micromanagement yet are attuned to the needs of the community and work alongside the community -- in forum and in game -- for the betterment of the region.  Even when the Mods turn a blind eye to their own rules.

Years ago, Francos Spain had his troops screen the region from time to time searching for problematic nation names and nation settings.  This was a good idea, IMO, and the game now offers us easier tools for doing this. 

It all comes down to one thing: this is OUR corner of the sandbox.  We have to sift out the roo pooh for the benefit of everyone else.  And I am pleased we have Delegates who are not tied to the forum community and subject to micromanagement yet are attuned to the needs of the community and work alongside the community -- in forum and in game -- for the betterment of the region.  Even when the Mods turn a blind eye to their own rules.

Years ago, Francos Spain had his troops screen the region from time to time searching for problematic nation names and nation settings.  This was a good idea, IMO, and the game now offers us easier tools for doing this. 

I agree totally TAO. I often screen the newer players created here and either link them to AGP or report them directly to the Mod Squad for action(which they do get around to deeting offensive nations). But when it comes to getting the squad to act upon certain spamming nations, often The squad defers or does nothing at all. IMHO the spamming definitions are too broad and the ofense offered is often left unanswered. If they would further define or even have a thread with examples of prior decisions would help immensely with how we can decide for ourselves how a particular situation is handled. TRR often is not enough for repeat offenders whom IMO often fall between the cracks. For example there are a few nations in TRR that want to use the rmb as their personal messenger medium, yet because they do not post abusively(according to the criteria offered by the game) they get away with it. Repeated attempts at resolving this has worked though(this time) as defining exactly what behavior is expected/undesired has gotten them to realize how they appear to the region and they seem to get it now. One of the GCR's has a program that allows the more experienced players to adopt a new nation, being its mentor to gameplay. Have we anything similar? I believe that such an entity would be useful in developing newer nation's gameplay and or interest in the game. A lot of what we call n00bish behavior seems to derive from a players ignorance of the games rules/etiquette or what is expected from them from the region as a whole. Being an "in-game" player(PD called me that) I can only offer the most basic/crude advice to the newer players. My forte it seems is being the regions rmb guard dog, lol.

woof

Years ago, Francos Spain had his troops screen the region from time to time searching for problematic nation names and nation settings. This was a good idea, IMO, and the game now offers us easier tools for doing this.

There have been a couple times when it's been suggested to me that we could consider something similar to the TP/NPO criminal codes and courts, and I've suggested they make the proposal. But my "Go for it !" comments didn't lead to any follow up on their part. I even advised Chief Justice Prison Grove to expect such a proposal. And certainly, I recieve tg's at times from Guardians and non-Guardians requesting action on certain nations for various reasons. I act or not depending upon my view of the situation and what information has been provided. I'm more lenient than some would be, more harsh than others would be. It balances.

One of the GCR's has a program that allows the more experienced players to adopt a new nation, being its mentor to gameplay

Mentor programs can be a great benefit to both new players and the region. But it requires players willing to take on that responsibility. Starting a program is useless otherwise. Just as our Interior Ministry continues to stand vacant due to lack of interest. Mentor programs usually fall under a region's Interior/Home Ministry.

*brings out second 'soap box' which used to contain 12 bottles of Chateauneuf-du-Pape 2007 and steps up onto box*

Those who make it impossible for others to enjoy their right to Freedom of Speech should be subject to a TWP court martial! Where's Archuism? :)

*stands down from soap box but stands guard over it*

Further, there are no rules concerning elevation while exercizing one's right to Free Speech. 

But of course, unless you are elevated (on your feet) nobody is going to hear you!

Sorry, the last bottle of the 2007 vintage was taken, without my permission in 2009, by my son to his girlfriend's parent's house as a gift when he was invited for lunch.  :angry:

Can offer you a bottle of chocolate wine if that would be of interest to you? :)

Medio

• 7 months later...