Varanius

A Very Vivacious Vara (Vara For DMoFA)

Hello TWP! I’m running again, so you’re definitely not done with me yet :). In case you don’t know, I’m Varanius, or Vara. I’ve been in The West Pacific’s Foreign Affairs Program on and off for about a year. I served as an ambassador to The East Pacific, then The Rejected Realms, and currently serve as ambassador to Lone Wolves United and Europe. I did, and still do love the idea of FA. Representing our region, and maybe even government to another region seemed fun and exciting. 

Foreign Affairs is also incredibly unique, in my opinion. A region with just a cultural affairs program would be interesting. Admittedly rather isolated, but nonetheless a community. A region with just a military, well, that’s already a thing, and they can be rather successful. The Black Hawks and The Grey Wardens both come to mind. A region with just a World Assembly program, well that sounds more like a club of WA authors than anything, but it could work I suppose. A region with just a Foreign Affairs program though, is pointless. Because, unlike the other things I’ve listed, FA is a tool. And that’s exactly my vision for it. A tool to expand TWP’s ideas and goals. We are a unique region, and our goals are similarly unique. I’d like FA’s purpose to be to represent and spread these goals. Our position on the GA, our SC goals, our meritocratic nature, and so much more can be furthered through foreign affairs. Only through cooperation with culture, our military (TWPAF), and our world assembly ministry can foreign affairs accurately represent TWP, and only through those can foreign affairs continue to further our goals. 

I’d like to place extra emphasis on cooperation with culture. Actually, interregional events aren’t even needed for interregional cultural cooperation. The Liberty Gala (a defender event that occurred rather recently) had segments that involved a “Congo line” of moving and interacting with different regions. We already have the Nomic game, which involves people from a variety of different regions playing a game on the TWP forums. We have so many wonderful little cultural events in TWP. By inviting friends and allies to participate in such events, we could strengthen our ties to some of our closest regions, or use it to extend a friendly hand to regions we’ve interacted less with. 

That’s all the ranting I plan on doing today. Thanks for reading, and please, ask any questions you might have! I’d love to answer :).

1.  In your time as MoFA for CS, what was the biggest thing that you learned?

2.  Are you currently involved in other regions or organizations at this time, and if so what are they?

3.  How do you enter a room?

Since you (and I, roughly) started in NS, TWP has signed two treaties and dissolved one (the Lazarus treaty took effect while I was still a lurker so I won't count that). Region and game-wide events have also reflected diplomatic activity and at times shifts in relations. What do you find noteworthy about TWP's FA activity? What reactions have you seen among other regions (whether friendly, in the middle, or unfriendly), and what do these reactions suggest about NS gameplay and relationships?

OH: and, what is one question you really want to ask another MoFA or their deputy? 

1 minute ago, Dilber said:

1.  In your time as MoFA for CS, what was the biggest thing that you learned?

2.  Are you currently involved in other regions or organizations at this time, and if so what are they?

3.  How do you enter a room?

1. The biggest thing I learned while MoFA of CS was probably how many things happened behind the scenes. Near embassy closures, actual embassy closures, treaties, event discussions, and so much more. And that was just in a small UCR :P.

2. Yes. I’m involved in the Hall of the Red Rose, which is Kawaii’s region, as well as Nationstates Today. I’m a citizen of Caer Sidi, Edlhus, and Res Publica (tiny startup region). 
3. Purse first

1 hour ago, Varanius said:

Only through cooperation with culture, our military (TWPAF), and our world assembly ministry can foreign affairs accurately represent TWP, and only through those can foreign affairs continue to further our goals. 

You spoke about cooperation with the Cultural Trust and I think those are great ideas but I am curious on how cooperation with the MA and WAR ministries can be enhanced?

I have two questions for you,

1) What goals do you have in mind for TWP in terms of FA and how will you use your experience from CS to advance our goals?

2) Will you free me from the mines?(if you do you have my vote :p)

11 minutes ago, Fuentana said:

Since you (and I, roughly) started in NS, TWP has signed two treaties and dissolved one (the Lazarus treaty took effect while I was still a lurker so I won't count that). Region and game-wide events have also reflected diplomatic activity and at times shifts in relations. What do you find noteworthy about TWP's FA activity? What reactions have you seen among other regions (whether friendly, in the middle, or unfriendly), and what do these reactions suggest about NS gameplay and relationships?

OH: and, what is one question you really want to ask another MoFA or their deputy? 

The recent event with The East Pacific has certainly help us remember who our friends and allies are. While everyone agreed it was unfortunate, the reaction of, for example, Osiris, whose MoFA commented that they stand with The West Pacific, is vastly different than the reaction of TSP PM candidates one or two terms ago, who essentially agreed that they stand with their allies in TEP if I remember correctly, and their soon to be PM (North Prarie) did publicly state a rather pro-TEP message in the forums. Of course, that’s not all, there are a variety of factors that help show us who are friends are, like our cooperation with the NPO’s military both in a chasing run and a tag raid with them and Balder. 

I’d probably ask them what they’ve done in their term they’re most proud of. A lot of things that happen during a delegates term are attributed to the delegate, it’d be interesting to hear the contributions specific MoFAs made to how things went.

1 hour ago, Teralyon said:

You spoke about cooperation with the Cultural Trust and I think those are great ideas but I am curious on how cooperation with the MA and WAR ministries can be enhanced?

While MA would be more difficult as that’s usually handled by who TWPAF wants to work with, and OT does wonderfully with that on his own, but in regards to WAR, discussion between them and FA can assist in establishing a solid stance on various proposals (our stance on GA proposals is admittedly already quite clear) and discussing these positions with friends and allies.

1 hour ago, Zoran said:

I have two questions for you,

1) What goals do you have in mind for TWP in terms of FA and how will you use your experience from CS to advance our goals?

2) Will you free me from the mines?(if you do you have my vote :p)

1. As I said, I’d like to improve inter-ministry cooperation (especially with the Cultural Trust) as a way to improve and display our relations with various regions. I’d also still like to recruit more diplomats, but I understand why that’s more difficult than it sounds and it’s not something that can just happen immediately.

2. Ha! Not a chance :P

1) Are there any particular regions you'd like to work closer with?

2) Which communities and events of the Cultural Trust would you like to highlight in other regions?

2 hours ago, Fhaengshia said:

1) Are there any particular regions you'd like to work closer with?

2) Which communities and events of the Cultural Trust would you like to highlight in other regions?

1. In this regard, I would like to continue working with our allies. Quality over quantity is still a hallmark of the West Pacific, and I believe it should be continued to be applied in our foreign affairs ministry. Osiris, the Pacific, and Balder are just some examples of TWP’s allies, and I’d like to continue working with them (though, not all together :p). 
2. The Nomic forum game for example, which has already attracted individuals from various regions. We could also promote our weekly RMB events (such as Punday Monday and Karaoke Friday) and invite people from other regions to join us on our RMB. These and so many more ways we can cooperate with the Cultural Trust to strengthen and improve relations with our friends and allies.

Not a question. Just wanted to state that I have full confidence in you Vara! I have worked with you in multiple capacities and I know how abled and talented you are and the love you bear for TWP. I am sure you will be a fantastic DMoFA, if you get the chance!

What were the biggest challenges you faced both during your ambassadorship in TWP and MoFA term in Caer Sidi, and how will you apply the experience you got from these for future challenges TWP may face?

5 hours ago, Giovanniland said:

What were the biggest challenges you faced both during your ambassadorship in TWP and MoFA term in Caer Sidi, and how will you apply the experience you got from these for future challenges TWP may face?

The ambassadorship role was rather simple an uncomplicated, so that wasn't all that challenging. Being MoFA for CS however, things could get a tad hectic. As an example, there was a period where several regions had asked to have an event with us at around the same time. We had just finished an event with Lazarus, if I remember correctly. And it was busy, we didn’t want to be in a constant state of events. It did eventually work out, but it was helpful in learning about prioritizing and working with other regions.