Jump to content
ALON

[Campaign] ALON for Speaker

Recommended Posts

Hello!

I am ALON (Aluminum Oxynitride on NS). I have been in TWP for a little over one year now and am an officer in The West Pacific Armed Forces. Most of my activity comes on Punday Monday, which is easily the best day of the week. 

While I would fully support Giovanniland continuing on as Speaker of the Hall of Nations, they have earned a well-deserved promotion to a Guardian of the West. As such, a new Speaker is needed.

If elected, I plan to continue the work Gio has started in writing Regional Commendations. If there is interest, I would also be willing to guide the Hall of Nations through writing the first Regional Condemnation. Dilber has also announced changes for the Hall of Nations, and with that, the Speaker's role will change. They will no longer be focused on legislation. The Speaker will be concerned with engaging the nations of The West Pacific and encouraging the growth of TWP's ministries. They will act as a liaison between the delegate and the Hall of Nations. The next Speaker will be a vital position as they will shape the role for the Dilber Delegacy and beyond.

And now for a vague statement that is the central foundation of any campaign: I will promise to use a reasonable amount of "pings" on discord.

Thank you and go vote!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey ALON! So, you’ve mentioned Regional Condemnations, which is interesting. Regional commendations are used to honor people who’ve contributed a lot to our region. What role would a regional condemnation serve?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What lessons and skills from your TWPAF and UTWP involvement would you draw on as Speaker? And will you encourage punny commendations/condemnations? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ALON said:

The Speaker will be concerned with engaging the nations of The West Pacific and encouraging the growth of TWP's ministries.

Besides commendations/condemnations, do you have any other ideas you would like to implement to improve engagement in the hall?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) With the upcoming changes to some of the Ministries, how do you see the Speaker's role in the transition? Do you see the changes the Cultural Trust has gone through as a sort of template?

2) What ideas do you have about being in charge of the first election for the Hall of Nations Guardian?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Varanius said:

Hey ALON! So, you’ve mentioned Regional Condemnations, which is interesting. Regional commendations are used to honor people who’ve contributed a lot to our region. What role would a regional condemnation serve?

Just like a commendation, a condemnation would serve record the history of our region. I am not very well versed in TWP history, but I do know that at least one coup was staged. This would be the starting point to build a condemnation, if deserved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Fuentana said:

And will you encourage punny commendations/condemnations?

I would be against punny commendations/condemnations for the sake of being punny. Now, if good word play can be worked into a serious commendations/condemnations, that might be a different matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Teralyon said:

Besides commendations/condemnations, do you have any other ideas you would like to implement to improve engagement in the hall?

22 hours ago, Fuentana said:

What lessons and skills from your TWPAF and UTWP involvement would you draw on as Speaker?

One idea, which comes directly from Dilber's first speech, is to host informational interviews with the different Ministers and leaders in TWP. As new nations are always forming, having up to date information on what the ministries are doing will be important to engage nations, both new to NS and those who have been around but want to get more involved.

I also recall the idea of gaming tournaments (chess, euchre, and other games that can be played anonymously online for free) being mentioned before. This could be run with help from  The West Pacific Cultural Trust.

Implementing these ideas will require good communication. TWPAF, UTWP, and the whole of NationStates relies on timely communication. While real life can make it hard for me to spend more than an hour on NS activities (card farming, campaigning, reading the RMB, etc.) during weekdays, sending acknowledgements that I have seen something and will work on it when I get the time will help keep things running smoothly. UTWP has also shown me what it is like to be a part of all of TWP's ministries. Although, I almost wish could re-enroll in UTWP to see how much the courses have improved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Fhaengshia said:

1) With the upcoming changes to some of the Ministries, how do you see the Speaker's role in the transition? Do you see the changes the Cultural Trust has gone through as a sort of template?

2) What ideas do you have about being in charge of the first election for the Hall of Nations Guardian?

The Speaker would serve as an advisor to the Delegate and as a spokesperson for the Hall of Nations. I am unsure of specific upcoming changes to the ministries that have been announced. Can you (or anyone else) provide more information?

As to being in charge of the first election for the Hall of Nations Guardian, I would follow the election rules set in place. Currently, they are: a 3 day nomination period, followed by three days of Q&A, concluding with 3 days of voting. I would encourage any and all nations interested to accept their nomination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aside from the new Regional Condemnations idea, how will you run these proposals to recognize worthy people in our region? Will there be any major changes compared to how it's currently ran by myself?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2020 at 8:13 PM, Giovanniland said:

Aside from the new Regional Condemnations idea, how will you run these proposals to recognize worthy people in our region? Will there be any major changes compared to how it's currently ran by myself?

I like how you have handled the Regional Commendations. However, I would like to give Hall of Nations members the chance to be more involved. Whether by writing a single clause for the commendation or providing a complete draft. I know UTWP already writes GA and SC proposals, maybe Regional Commendations could be included too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...