Share your favorite albums!

LoOhNo

The title says it all! You don't have to follow a strict format, but at least some info about the genre may help people understand what kind of taste you have :)

I'll kick it off with my #1 favorite album!

Porter Robinson - Worlds

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg.758f8c8dc4124e8bce31119aaaf43cca.jpg

Tracks: 12

Total length: 57:49

Genres: Synth-pop, Chillwave, Dream Pop, Electropop

Year: 2014

Favorite track: Goodbye to a World

Worlds is a bit of a religious experience for me. Like the title implies, it transports me to new worlds through combinations of sounds and voices I never even imagined could work together so well, or at all. It goes to show that even an often stale genre like electronic music can convey emotions that go beyond what DJ sets can offer. You can feel the emotion that went into this. Some of the songs even tell whole stories, like in Sad Machine and Years of War, the interaction between humans and machines being a common theme throughout the whole album. The sounds are sometimes so sweet you can do nothing but bask in its bliss. But it all reaches its peak in the final track of the album, Goodbye to a World, a track exquisitely emotional, incredibly powerful, memorable and experimental that serves as the perfect conclusion to such a powerful album.

The Shins - Chutes too Narrow

Chutes Too Narrow - Wikipedia

Tracks: 10
Total length: 33:50
Genres: Indie pop/rock
Year: 2003
Favorite track: (i have no idea)

So this isn't my favorite album, and it's really the only album by the Shins that I like. However, it's a very good album specifically. It gets the idea of an album as a cohesive art piece really good. Every song fits where it is—there's an overarching vibe that it gives off that makes it difficult to listen to just one song without listening to the whole album. I think because of that I don't really have a favorite song from the album. They all hit hard, but differently in such a way that it's almost hard to tell which song is which.

Listening to it now brings very visceral memories of a couple summers ago, sitting in my not air conditioned apartment kind of floating along while living alone and working for the summer. I remember very specifically listening to it while driving through a rainstorm on the way to my sister's place and it's retained that slightly dissociative feeling of driving through corn fields on a humid summer day as it rains off and on.

I really had a tough time with this, I don't think I've listened to a full album since my teenage days and tastes have definitely changed or rather broadened in the last 10 years and i rarely listen to just 1 genre or 1 artist at a time so choosing just one album was tough. In the end though I've chosen:

Nervous_Testpilot - Wardialler

wardiallercover.PNG.878ea80415ec07278ad14b174d7d12db.PNG

Tracks: 10

Total length: 50 Minutes

Genres: lo-fi, Electronic

Year: 2019

Favorite track: Isolation

Looking through my spotify, I really don't have one thing I listen too and 90% of songs i have saved in playlists are all from different artists, albums and its a mess with every genre possible showing up but out of that hole chaotic mess I did find I tend to listen to Nervous_Testpilot a lot when I'm working on something, be it something at home or when I'm at work I usually let his album(s) play when I know I will be there for a while.

At work specifically, when I'm testing alone or in the field while commissioning or troubleshooting the machinery my company builds I tend to turn it on to keep me almost thinking at slower pace which lets me be more methodical in my work instead of just running through things and making mistakes. The track "Isolation" is probably the song i always start with first thus ill say its my favorite (playlists always on shuffle) it is almost a sort of reset and focus track for me. In terms of an Album alone that i have played over and over and tend to play it has to be Wardialler. 

There are of course many other songs and other artists that have some deep meaning for me for different reasons, for example,
"Gangsta rap made me do it - Ice Cube"[explicit Lyrics] I more then likely interpret this songs meaning completely differently then Ice Cube means but for myself it comes down to "Don't blame others for your mistakes, take ownership and rise above"

"Free - Mother Mother" For certain RL reasons it makes the feels feel

Edited by Teralyon
Added Links

Lemon Demon - Spirit Phone

216341.jpg.71763cdf91d0e2113c3c0be570ba96f9.jpg

Tracks: 14 (+13 bonus tracks)

Total length: 59:25 (1:43:26 including bonus tracks)

Genres: Synthpop, Comedy, New Wave, Indietronica

Year: 2016

Favorite track: Touch-Tone Telephone

Spirit Phone is the latest original album by Lemon Demon, pseudonym of internet legend Neil Cicierega, known for The Ultimate Battle of Ultimate Destiny, Brodyquest, Potter Puppet Pals, and his mashup albums Mouth Sounds, Mouth Silence and Mouth Moods. In this project, he decides to tackle creepy, occult, political and sometimes even morbid topics with cheerfulness and a comedic tone, which creates a juxtaposition so good, you don't know you need it until you hear it. It mostly strives to create irony out of these topics, like in the absolutely catchy Touch-Tone Telephone where he pokes fun at conspiracy theorists, I Earn My Life which parodies the capitalist mindset, and Reaganomics which is self-explanatory. Other times he chooses to simply tell a story, like in Cabinet Man, inspired by infamous legends akin to Polybius, and Eighth Wonder which retells the story of Gef the mongoose. The poppy, electronic, catchy tunes of this album are sure to become an instant earworm! 

Most of the bonus tracks are skippable, paling in comparison to the main tracks of the album, exception made, in my opinion, for Redesign Your Logo, which sounds like a delirious parody of corporate advertising, until you realize it's based on an actual logo redesign proposal document submitted to Pepsi in 2008.

Excellent album for when you just wanna have some fun with catchy tunes and silly lyrics!