Sign in to follow this  
Giovanniland

[Discussion] Commend Winnipeg

Hello, members of the Hall of Nations! After a discussion and a vote about who would be the honored one to receive the first Regional Commendation, I present you the draft! Feel free to discuss and improve the commendation before we vote.

Draft 3 (thanks to @Aelitia for reworking it!)

The Region of The West Pacific,

Believing that Winnipeg's impact on the West Pacific is worthy of great respect and merit a commendation of the Region,

Honouring that Winnipeg has hosted multiple versions of the West Pacific regional forums since January 2006, 

Acknowledging the energy, time, and resources required to remain such an enthusiastic patron to a community like ours, 

Celebrating the nominee's efforts to maintain the spirit, continuity, and life of this community by:

• Keeping the community united in the forums and secure from government divisions that often happened in the region,

• Maintaining a regular presence on the current forums since November 4, 2012, becoming the first registered account and post on them,

• Covering the cost of hosting the forums, along with others such as Darkesia and Eli,

• Banning unwanted IPs, bots, spammers and troublemakers, thereby securing the workings of the government and community,

• Running regular updates to ensure the forums are up-to-date, and otherwise facilitating the efficient function of the forums through masks and role, and 

• Maintaining a strong presence on the Technical part of the forums, helping members with innumerable requests,

Noting that the above contributions span over a decade, and though historical details may have been lost to time and forum changes, Winnipeg should also be recognized for their major cultural contributions such as their roleplay efforts in the Meritocracy and dedicated impartiality as such a central figure to the Region, and 

Further noting that, Winnipeg's wholehearted contributions live on to this day, 

Hereby regionally commends Winnipeg.

Draft 2:

Spoiler

The Hall of Nations,

Recognizing that Winnipeg has hosted both current and previous versions of the West Pacific regional forums since a long time;

Acknowledging that the current forums were created November 4, 2012, and that Winnipeg has both the first registered account and post on them; 

Applauding the nominee's efforts to maintain the life of this community by:

• Covering the cost of hosting the forums, along with Darkesia and Eli;

• Banning unwanted IPs, bots, spammers and troublemakers, therefore keeping harmony and joy in this community;

• Running regular updates to make sure the forums doesn't get outdated;

• Maintaining a strong presence on the Technical part of the forums, therefore helping other members with issues;

• Helping other admins and the Guardians to keep nations' respective roles updated, along with other technical requests;

Noting that these contributions span over a decade, and that while some of them may have been lost to forum changes, Winnipeg should be recognized; 

Further noting that, although the nominee's nation in NationStates, also named Winnipeg, doesn't currently reside in the West Pacific, their wholehearted contributions live on to this day; 

Draft 1: 

Spoiler

The Hall of Nations,

Recognizing that Winnipeg has hosted the West Pacific regional forums since November 4, 2012;

Admiring that Winnipeg is also the first member registered on the aforementioned forums;

Applauding the nominee's efforts to maintain the life of this community by:

• Covering the cost of hosting the forums, along with Darkesia and Eli;

• Banning unwanted IPs, bots, spammers and troublemakers, therefore keeping harmony and joy in this community;

• Running regular updates to make sure the forums doesn't get outdated;

• Maintaining a strong presence on the Technical part of the forums, therefore helping other members with issues;

• Helping other admins and the Guardians to keep nations' respective roles updated, along with other technical requests;

Noting that, although the nominee's nation in NationStates, also named Winnipeg, doesn't currently reside in the West Pacific, their wholehearted contributions live on to this day; 

This looks great! 

Minor suggestion: I recommend "Applauding the nominee's efforts to maintain the life of this community by: " 

It's a little more straightforward and clearer in my opinion.

Otherwise, awesome! Thank you for spearheading this!

22 hours ago, de la Fuentana said:

This looks great! 

Minor suggestion: I recommend "Applauding the nominee's efforts to maintain the life of this community by: " 

It's a little more straightforward and clearer in my opinion.

Otherwise, awesome! Thank you for spearheading this!

Thanks for the suggestion! Fixed it. 

Firstly, compliments to our Speaker for putting this together and ushering it along,

Second, I think we could even expand on such a commendation, grouping the work into themes. For example:

• Admin/maintenance roles
  • Length of residency/historical government service
  • More personal qualities(?)

By giving each type of service more attention, not only would it read more clearly as a wholehearted commendation, but more truly reflect the historical and continues importance of the honouree. 

I wonder if we could get the input of @Darkesia , @Westwind and @Eli of some of the older examples of service? 

Unfortunately, I haven't had the good luck to really interact with Winni outside of their role as forum host here, more's the pity. Being a bit newer to the game (compared to some other TWPers) I don't really have much to add myself. But I would like to say that I really appreciate the work Winni has done and fully support this commendation.

14 hours ago, Aelitia said:

Firstly, compliments to our Speaker for putting this together and ushering it along,

Second, I think we could even expand on such a commendation, grouping the work into themes. For example:

• Admin/maintenance roles
  • Length of residency/historical government service
  • More personal qualities(?)

By giving each type of service more attention, not only would it read more clearly as a wholehearted commendation, but more truly reflect the historical and continues importance of the honouree. 

Thanks for your input! Although I think personal qualities aren't needed, I agree with the other two points.

• For admin/maintenance roles I'm pretty sure I mentioned all important things. If there is something you can think of that I haven't added, feel free to say it. 
  • I'll do some more research on history and government service, as I think there could be more. Also feel free to present more data on this topic.   

I'll add that Winni hosted long before this board. He hosted the board before this one too I'm pretty sure, though I do not have concrete dates. I want to say he was hosting when I first came here in 2006.So I'd say to change it something along the lines of hosting the board through multiple iterations.

1 hour ago, Papercuts and Skittles said:

I'll add that Winni hosted long before this board. He hosted the board before this one too I'm pretty sure, though I do not have concrete dates. I want to say he was hosting when I first came here in 2006.So I'd say to change it something along the lines of hosting the board through multiple iterations.

Thanks a lot! I changed quite a lot of things to update with these informations, so I've published Draft 2. Will add specific dates if someone can confirm those.

Draft 1 is on the spoiler below Draft 2 if anyone wants to compare drafts and such.

The Region of The West Pacific,

Believing that Winnipeg's impact on the West Pacific is worthy of great respect and merit a commendation of the Region,

Honouring that Winnipeg has hosted multiple versions of the West Pacific regional forums since [insert year], 

Acknowledging the energy, time, and resources required to remain such an enthusiastic patron to a community like ours, 

Celebrating the nominee's efforts to maintain the spirit, continuity, and life of this community by:

• Maintaining a regular presence on the current forums since November 4, 2012, becoming the first registered account and post on them,

• Covering the cost of hosting the forums, along with others such as Darkesia and Eli,

• Banning unwanted IPs, bots, spammers and troublemakers, thereby securing the workings of the government and community,

• Running regular updates to ensure the forums are up-to-date, and otherwise facilitating the efficient function of the forums through masks and role, and 

• Maintaining a strong presence on the Technical part of the forums, helping members with innumerable requests;

Noting that the above contributions span over a decade, and though historical details may have been lost to time and forum changes, Winnipeg should also be recognized for their major cultural contributions such as their roleplay efforts in the Meritocracy and dedicated impartiality as such a central figure to the Region; and

Further noting that, Winnipeg's wholehearted contributions live on to this day; 

Some major changes are to get away from the Hall practicing "branding"; the commendation is from the Region as a whole, not just the HoN. 

A take on some different language and information courtesy of Darkesia. I suggest the Hall seek more information from Eli, as Dark suggested as well. 

On 3/21/2020 at 6:44 PM, Papercuts and Skittles said:

January 2006 if memory serves me correctly, Berhampore, a loyalist to the rebels, banned us from the former government's forum. So Winni started hosting a new forum, that he conveniently had ready, for the new legitimate governance of yours truly. 

No Blush

Eli

20 hours ago, Aelitia said:

Some major changes are to get away from the Hall practicing "branding"; the commendation is from the Region as a whole, not just the HoN. 

A take on some different language and information courtesy of Darkesia. I suggest the Hall seek more information from Eli, as Dark suggested as well. 

3 hours ago, Eli said:

January 2006 if memory serves me correctly, Berhampore, a loyalist to the rebels, banned us from the former government's forum. So Winni started hosting a new forum, that he conveniently had ready, for the new legitimate governance of yours truly. 

No Blush

Eli

Updated the OP with draft 3 (by Nieubasria). I am amazed that this is bringing activity to the Hall, just like we all wanted! Thanks, by the way, to the older members which provided historical facts. Last but not least, a reminder that the text is still up for discussion! I'd like to update it with more information and details which haven't been brought up yet.

On 3/20/2020 at 10:00 PM, Aelitia said:

I wonder if we could get the input of  @Westwind 

I generally mind my own business around these parts since I'm not a citizen.  But since you called me...

12 hours ago, Eli said:

Yup, that would be my recollection as well.

In doing so, Winnie provided a forum platform for the TWP community that could withstand government/political division and conflict without dividing the community as has happened often in NS. 

On 3/22/2020 at 4:23 PM, Aelitia said:

Winnipeg should also be recognized for their major cultural contributions

Winnie, Eli and others still around have brought and promoted the Meritocratic spirit of The Meritocracy that now resonates in TWP culture.

Winnie also assisted Equilism with forum administration issues in 2004 and 2005. Original Equilism forum administrators Equility and Tomika gave Winnie admin access there to assist with  specific issues. (I became Equilism admin to replace Tomika later in 2004.) Winnie's dedication and trustworthiness in forum administration and security is interregional.

I've added some more information from Westwind's post. Although I'm not sure if contributions outside TWP should be included.

Anyways, it has been 8 days since the start of the discussion and I'd like to bring it to vote soon. If anyone has something else to contribute, you're welcome to do it.

This is looking great now. I don't have much to contribute to this discussion, personally, as my own interaction with Winnipeg has been almost nonexistent, but I think this commendation is looking very shiny and polished now.

I believe we have done a serviceable job of information gathering, and it is presented nicely. Just trying to makes sure our efforts are worthy of the first Regional Commendation!

Thanks for the answers! I see a lot of people said that it has a lot of information and it is nicely presented, so I'd like to bring it to vote soon, unless someone has something else to say, obviously.

So I motion it to vote!

I motion it to vote too!