Windows 10

Eli

*plugs a Canon wireless printer into an Acer notebook running Windows 10*

Computer: Oh, I see you've plugged in a Canon printer, would you like me to install the drivers so you can use it?

O_o

I plug the same printer into a Linux 17.3 driven pc...Oh, I see you've plugged in a Canon Pixma, what would you like to print?

:/

Linux FTW

You have a very well-mannered computer - a few "dings" and the sound of shuffling is all that I get!

LoL!

I have an MSI mobo with a dual core AMD 4850e processor and only 2 gig of ram......

Not bad.

Somewhere I have a mobo that can run a 4-core AMD(Phenom), with high-end graphics onboard, but I can't get it too boot!

• 5 months later...

Now have 6 desktops and 2 laptops in the house that have bit the bullet and gone to 10. I am an insider and have seen 10 since it's preview days. Networking them all was initially an issue, but seems to be fine now. And I HATE icons and installed the menu replacement at http://www.classicshell.net/ that makes it at least look like 7.

The  update process thru the builds has been an adventure. It has blown a few things up here an there but easily repaired. Finding drivers for some of my "Legacy" equipment was more effort than it had to be. But overall, it works. 

If you follow the MS doctrine:

Windows 3.1 started it

Windows 95 was a new kernal and buggy, 

Windows 98 fixed it and very stable

Windows ME was the worst operating system ever written

Windows XP fixed it and was very stable

Windows Vista was a new kernal, buggy and pissed alot of people off

Windows 7 addressed the user issues (to a point_ and was very stable

Windows 8 had it's issues, somewhat fixed by 8.1, but still buggy. Marketing mistake in making a PC look and act like a smart phone

Windows 10 now seems to be that next release that addressed some user issues with 8 and appears to be the next stable release to be around awhile

On 3/26/2017 at 9:29 AM, quietdad said:

Now have 6 desktops and 2 laptops in the house that have bit the bullet and gone to 10. I am an insider and have seen 10 since it's preview days. Networking them all was initially an issue, but seems to be fine now. And I HATE icons and installed the menu replacement at http://www.classicshell.net/ that makes it at least look like 7.

Hah! I love that! Totally about to install on my recently updated laptop. Good shit there QD

The  update process thru the builds has been an adventure. It has blown a few things up here an there but easily repaired. Finding drivers for some of my "Legacy" equipment was more effort than it had to be. But overall, it works. 

Mine blew my HDD to hell... other than that, no issues...

Windows 3.1 started it -> Not as bad, honestly

Windows 95 was a new kernal and buggy,  -> Agreed

Windows 98 fixed it and very stable  -> Mostly agreed

Windows ME was the worst operating system ever written -> Truest truth ever written

Windows XP fixed it and was very stable   -> I loved it

Windows Vista was a new kernal, buggy and pissed alot of people off  -> Second worst after ME imo.

Windows 7 addressed the user issues (to a point) and was very stable  -> Agreed

Windows 8 had it's issues, somewhat fixed by 8.1, but still buggy. Marketing mistake in making a PC look and act like a smart phone  -> I HATED it due to the look, as you say, a TERRIBLE CHILDISH AND STUPID mistake...

Windows 10 now seems to be that next release that addressed some user issues with 8 and appears to be the next stable release to be around awhile  -> I can only hope...

Well, concerning versions, while MS hasn't changed it officially, we're on Windows 10.2 already and will be on 10.3 soon with the Creators Update.

Build 1607 (10.2 if you want to compare it to the Windows 8 versions...) that was released last summer seems to REALLY dislike my X79 chipset...system is awesomely stable on 1511, but as soon as 1607 gets installed I bluescreen all over the place (it's defininetly something the x79 drivers but no fix has come along in the last year...)...so I'm currently on Build 1511 (10.1) with updates Deferred...kinda hoping the Creators Update will fix the issue and I can just skip 1607 because the defer updates will only work for a little while longer before it tries to force the 1607 update on me...

btw, you Missed Windows 2000 in your list of versions...it was the OS that XP was built on and actually fixed most of the issues that people had....originally called NT 5.0 before the year name branding was adopted.  When I moved from Windows 98SE to Windows 2000 Release Candidate 2 back in December 99, it single handedly gave me an extra 30 fps in Unreal Tournament.  Loved Windows 2000.  Didn't really like Windows XP until Service Pack 2...and still hated the preschool graphics...always set it to the Classic Shell theme.

True enough, and the Windows NT 3.x and 4.0... and 3.0...2.0...  Not sure if 1.0 actually ever got released as a commercial product or if they just went to 2.0...I was a bit young and living in Northern Canada when that one would have come out so even if I knew what Windows was, I didn't really have much way of finding out about it.

On 3/27/2017 at 5:18 PM, Davelands said:

And don't forget Windows For Workgroups 3.11

Their first OS with networking built in.

Of course, I was using OS/2 at that time... :-P

As one of the names on the copyright for ODBC 1.0 and involved in making 3.11 happen, I'm well aware of Workgroups (Novell was THE networking software at the tme, TCP/IP was still way off). Workgroups was a feature add on of 3.1 and not a new OS release. I was just pointing out in my release list that MS gets every other release right and 10 is in the cycle to be a good one.