Admin Requests Part Quatre

Winnipeg

On 3/15/2020 at 2:12 AM, Fujai said:

I'm planning on using the Printing Press subforum for the newspaper, is it publicly viewable or is there a mask that controls access to it?

Unrelated edit: I was looking around on other regions' forums to see what kinds of things they're doing, and I noticed that a number of them have built-in application forms that automatically create a post from the response—is there something like that that we have access to? I grabbed a screenshot from Laz if that helps get across what I'm talking about:

Even with that picture, I don't know what you mean.  What kind of post are you talking about?  Are you talking about integrating the Google forms thingy (technical term) that you are using for the citizenship applications?  If so, that is a @Winnipeg question.  My question would be: If you want it to be a post in the forum, why not put it there in the first place?  Are you making a simple thing complex?  If there is real value to it, I get it.  I only use google forms when I am forced to do so, therefore I am not familiar with any advantage it may give us.  However, that doesn't mean we can't do it or that there is some great advantage to it. 

We can add a restriction to the masking, if you want to do so.  But masking remains in control of the Admin team and won't be given to moderator level masks.

If you could restrict the Printing Press to the newspaper mask (and higher ranking masks like minister/guardian/delegate as well, I assume), I would be greatly appreciative! The folks who should have newspaper mask are:

@Aelitia @Dilber @Mia @Dalimbar @Reçueçn @Sensorland @Giovanniland @Darkesia @de la Fuentana @Boda @Podium @Teralyon

On the form subject, it was a little more curiosity of what was possible. Laz was using a form stored directly on their forums (not embedded in a post), that, once someone fills it out, it creates a post by them with their responses in a specific subforum. I can do ministry apps pretty easy in a single thread, so it's not of as much use to me personally, but @Overthinkers may or may not find it intriguing for citizenship apps.

Edited by Fujai
words

Sorry it's taken so long.  I will get to work on this soon.  However, I am still working a regular, office based full time schedule and have a side gig in high gear this time of year.  I don't anticipate having time to work on it until Friday after 5pm.

I hate to be a bother (and double-poster), but I had incorrectly assumed that the HoN mask had access to the printing press subforum, so even though the newspaper mask hasn't been created, my staff can't access it yet and we need to be able to finalize planning as soon as we can. If there's any way this could be expedited I would be extremely grateful!

9 hours ago, Overthinkers said:

My masking needs to be updated as I am no longer a Guardian.

how about that new one, I'd never seen it before. 

Over think that for a bit...

Hi, 

I've got a bit of an unusual request, which I'm not sure will be easy/possible to fulfill, but I figure I might as well ask and see.

I'm looking ahead in one of the games we're playing in the clubhouse, where the players are on a board kind of like monopoly, and it would be nice to be able to roll dice to move around on the board. I'd like to be able to do that online, while verifying that people aren't rerolling to get a number they want, but it would be even better if there was a way to do it on the forums without needing any outside resource.

I don't know anything about how the technical side of the forum works, but I've discovered that there are plugins which apparently allow this functionality. I'm not sure if they work with this specific kind of forum, or host, or whatever (as I said I don't really know what that is), but would an admin be able to look into adding a dice plugin like that?

Here's a couple links I found that seem to advertise a free dice forum plugin:

https://mods.mybb.com/view/dymy-dice

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=434&t=1816135

And here's one that costs $5 but is posted on the invision forums: 

https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8692-ne-dice-roller/

It might be hard for me to make an online payment to cover this—it's a long story—but I'd be willing to try to figure something out if that was the only option.

Thanks so much for looking into this! I don't know if it's possible but I really appreciate any response (as well as all the effort the admins already put in).

Let me think about that one.  I had looked at building my own a few years ago but never got around to it.

The first 2 Plugins are for different forum software so don't really help us here...and the last one is for Invision, but doesn't list the current version as compatible and hasn't been updated since 2018.

Thanks for considering it! For that last link I did notice that the dev had responded to questions in the support thread as recently as October (ok, for a given definition of recently :P) and there seems to be activity there even this month, but I also see that the most recent published compatibility is version 4.3 and it looks like we're on 4.4 now.

Anyway, thanks again for looking into it, it's really appreciated. Let us know whenever you come to a decision (or, if it winds up being a plugin or other solution that has a cost attached, I'd be willing to chip in or cover it). Kudos!