Government Type

Government Type  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What government type do we want?

• Anarchy (always my fave)
    • Oligharcy (what we have now)
    • Democracy (a weak sham of course)
    • Other (the betting favorite)

I am afraid I will be echoing Dark.  After 9 years (really?  9 years) in TWP, I have been about everything and now RL has left me so little time. 

Just so you know ... technically, TAO is still the Prime Minister of TWP.  :rolleyes:B):twpflag:

We should have a hybrid system. Authoritarian Democracy if you will. No need to have the messy overly democratic process that, for example, TNP has. There should be an oligarchy that tends to FA and Security. With regards to internal affairs, I believe it should left in the hands of the people with oversight from the oligarchs.

edit: Why give me the option to like my own post? Of course I like my post, I'm brilliant.

All of the Above was not an option.

As I posted on the RMB:

The Conglomerate Blueprint for a Democratic Anarco-Monarchy Oligarchiship government.

The King-Delegate and his Guardian-Oligarch Entourage (advisors)
The Elected Board of Commissioners (includes Departments of Regional Growth and Developement, Interregional Affairs, Regional Security, et al)
The Legislative Anarchy of Regional Assembly and Disassembly (All TWP resident nations granted membership automatically)
The Holy Novus Ordo Seclorum of The Church of The West Pacific (The Judiciary)

'Tis true.  *nods*

Basically, my proposal is a old tried and true design, upon which any theme can be hoisted.  The Delegate could be The Pirate King of TWP.....or the Ceasar Delegate.... or Comrade Chairman....the legislative could be the Hall of Protectors of The Party Faithful, or The College of Senators, or whatever.

Sounds like a good idea, although, I don't like the Delegate being referred to as king. I do understand that this concept can be turned into whatever we want whilst maintaining its basic form which is a bonus. It still sounds like the guardians are being awarded far to much power and I believe that they should act much like the House of Lords in the British Parliamentary system as opposed to benevolent overlords.

Mostly, the Guardians have the 'power' invested in them by game mechanics through Influence.  NS only works as a democracy via Endorsements, but even that is limited by the effects of Influence.  (I despise Influence).  Any GCR or Founderless region needs to incorporate the facts of game mechanics into their government form.

TNP was a great example of a GCR that failed to accept the realities of game mechanics.  They'd been disfunctional for years as a result.

TP is a great example of a GCR that misused game mechanics.

What you need is a reason to have your government.  Even if it's an invented reason that has more to do with culture and propaganda than any real reason. 

Previously the forum governments flourished because they were the point of organizing for self defense and diplomatic relations.  For a variety of reasons we don't have time to get into, this is no longer the case.  So your first challenge in building the government is to decide why you need one.  What will be the culture of TWP?  The style/form of government will follow easily once you decide why it exists.

If a government emerges outta the current activity, it'll exist just for that, to maintain activity.  Whether that is maintained best by military game play, interregional relations, or somethin' else will decide the direction of the government also.

*chuckles*

Dark's point is just that a successful government is formed around basic goals/principles/ideas/purposes.  An aimless government has no purpose and quickly goes inactive....unless you have a strong enough leader to hold it together (which just burns out the leader all that much faster).  Government for the sake of government isn't going to last long.

This is partially why the raider/defender gameplay is popular.  Raiding regions, or defending them is a goal/purpose you can use to rally a region and it's government around very easily.  When you get more creative with your goals/purposes, it gets more complicated and tends to require a slower pace of action.  But they are more intellectually stimulating that the *yawn* raider/defender game. 

My....erm..... creative solutions..... to inactivity over the years have always started with purposeful goals.  Sometimes nearly impossible goals.  With the Crimson Order, I declared war against NS Admin/Mod inactivity.  But you can't fight NS Admin/Mods now can you ?  Perhaps, but the overall goal was a war on inactivity gamewide.  I think it succeeded.  The effort from planning to conclusion lasted roughly 8 months, and around the end of that time.... A number of stagnent regions and organizations became more active and NS Admin/Mods became responsive to the game again and started making new changes.  In those days, you had to submit a request to the Mods if you wanted an old nation restored....and it was starting to take me weeks to get a Mod to respond.  By the end of the Crimson era, there were no more delays and finally self-restoration of nations was added to NS.

When I heard people say they'd like to see the Crimson Order back...... I'm honored, but really its purpose is no longer relevent to current gameplay.  On the other hand, a New Crimson Order with a new purpose....that's doable.  IF an active group of players can agree on working towards a purpose together.  (The Crimson Order actually had three vastly different plans with three different alliances of players, and the one that was played out wasn't locked in until well after I was in the TNP Delegacy.)

As for Influence......yeah, it would be better to start another thread on that one.  Astarial's ideas to incorporate the ability for nations in a region to spend Influence to block passwords or other ideas are interesting.  IMO, since Influence isn't going to go away, there needs to be a 'Yin' to the 'Yang' of Influence in order to better balance gameplay.

A quick off-the-cuff statement of design (or design problem):- The purpose of this forum (game) is enjoyment, and to continue in that vein we have to get ever more members that stay and participate in activities that we offer them - and in what they can offer the forum; continual achievement and reaching set goals encourages activity and expansion.

Next member's turn....

I'd say it's time to return TWP to it's glory days of interregional influence and strength.  The question becomes....what method or path to take to achieve that ?  What principles or philosophy to base our path upon ?

I am fond of Monarchy in NS.  It tends to be stable, makes room for everyone that wants a part, and can pick a direction and purpose without taking months to debate.  A Constitutional Monarchy with a democratic legislature.

*disclaimer:  I was King of Equilism and Crimson King of the Crimson Order/TNP once upon a time, so I am biased.*

What about a system that incorporated all of the choices above?

Go with me for a second...but let's say we have political parties who align themselves with a particular form of government. One monarchy, one anarchy, one democracy, and so on. Each of these groups would create "governmental documents". Periodically, the region would vote on which party to place in power based on their foundational documents aka governmental system. Once elected, the party's system would become the ruling system of the day, but only temporarily. In say 4-6 months new elections would occur amongst the parties and a new party would be selected. Yes, the ruling party could be elected again, but the other parties will have a chance to win their way to power.

Thoughts?

How many people will be needed to actively support this system?  At this point we don't have enough people to staff a single government, let alone set up 2, 3 , 4 or 5 alternates which all have documents written etc.  Even in "the golden years" TWP had trouble staffing all of it's ministries with active nations.

It's a nice idea, PD.  I just don't see it as very realistic for TWP.