Rebellion

To be perfectly frank, the government should involve everyone in a positive manner.  Currently, not everyone is as involved as they might like to be, and some of us feel underrepresented.  This can be anyone's fault, everyone's fault, or no one's fault.  That doesn't matter.  We can point fingers all day and it will get us nowhere.  Some say that the current leadership should be more accommodating, open, and active.  Others say that everyone else should have been doing more.  In reality, it was probably a bit of both, plus some other assorted reasons.  We should get to the meat and potatoes of what was fundamentally wrong with the last government, and try to fix it.

These are some of the things I believe the government should incorporate:

• Having no requirements to be in the legislature (or to be a citizen).
  • Having few appointments, and as many elections as possible, which can help get new people in leadership.
  • Having a more transparent government.
  • Having as few grey areas as possible with explanations of how things work so there is as little confusion as possible.
  • Utilizing a massive recruitment operation to bring in more members.
  • Being friendly towards everyone, and answering all questions without condescension.
  • A completely independent forum government.
  • Having a government formed by the people, not forced upon them by a select few.

Good input, thanks for taking the time to think that out. I won't address your points specifically, but I think the current crowd of regulars will.

I will offer one piece of feedback to your post, though. When it comes to fixing (recurrent) inactivity, I think you need to start with yourself. Every citizen should ask, "What do I want to do in TWP's government?" TWP's scenery has changed entirely this year - there are new Guardians, and even more new leaders - but fundamental issues such as productivity haven't changed as drastically. There have been ups and downs. In order to have success in that realm consistently, I still think the region needs to:

1. Figure out its goal: What is the end-goal for TWP? I don't mean "transparent government" or "elections", but rather, what constitutes a successful government? What is the goal of TWP's government? Is it to provide a service for the community? To achieve international power? If your goal is left ambigious, you'll never achieve it, because you won't know what you're trying to accomplish. And if your goal doesn't naturally energize people, you'll get no momentum.
  2. Take inventory of its resources: Round up people in this community and pose them these questions.
    1. What do you enjoy doing in NationStates? In TWP?
    2. What skills do you possess?
    3. Are you willing to take ownership of an aspect of TWP and lead it with vision?
    4. What direction would you ideally like to see TWP go?
    5. What are the things about TWP you would not want to see changed?
  3. Apply the information to a gameplan for pursuing its goal: Numbers 1-3 all work together in helping develop an efficient civil service. Number 1, 4, and 5 help you figure out what the interests you're dealing with are. If your goal is vibrant regional culture and bountiful activity, you need to make your decisions in an economic matter. Knowing interests is a part of that. Look at the cost each choice you make moving forward will have on your resources. The most important resources in NS are people's energy, people's skills, people's loyalties (not just to TWP, but to concepts, e.g. supremacy of the in-game mechanics, open citizenship, anything), and headcounts.
  4. Try something and remember that your goal doesn't need to be 100% achievable, so as long as it is 100% pursuable.

¢¢

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to address the common request for more transparency. 

This government is completely transparent. 

Many seem to believe that there is some secret cabal of people meeting to govern this region. The truth is that you see everything.  There is indeed a seeeekrit chamber for Guardians to discuss strategy.  But this area has been very much under-used recently.  And besides...  The Guardians don't run the forum government.

I'm saying these things because I believe that people are holding back their opinions in the false assumption that things are predetermined by people who "know better than we do."  I am here to tell you that this is not true at all.  Please, if you have any thoughts at all about the way you want to see the region governed, express them.  I can't promise that people will agree with you, but I can promise you that if it is a question or comment you have in your head, it is very likely that you are not the only one with these thoughts.

Speak up!  This is The Voice afterall :)

I would like to address the common request for more transparency. 

This government is completely transparent. 

Many seem to believe that there is some secret cabal of people meeting to govern this region. The truth is that you see everything.  There is indeed a seeeekrit chamber for Guardians to discuss strategy.  But this area has been very much under-used recently.  And besides...  The Guardians don't run the forum government.

I'm saying these things because I believe that people are holding back their opinions in the false assumption that things are predetermined by people who "know better than we do."  I am here to tell you that this is not true at all.  Please, if you have any thoughts at all about the way you want to see the region governed, express them.  I can't promise that people will agree with you, but I can promise you that if it is a question or comment you have in your head, it is very likely that you are not the only one with these thoughts.

Speak up!  This is The Voice afterall :)

She would know, she can see the whole thing.

• 2 weeks later...