TG System Overhauled, More Changes to Come

New Kervoskia

TG System Overhauled, More Changes to Come

nsserver.png

NationStates could use a few upgrades

3 February, 2013

The Machine City, NationStates. Big changes are coming to NationStates. Players will soon be able to create custom folders with room for hundreds of telegrams, for a nominal fee of course.

For $4.99 you a get “Postermaster” account which comes with three custom folders that store 100 telegrams each. Pay a few bucks more more and upgrade to a “Postermaster-General” with unlimited storage space. And for the princely sum of $1.00 you can get 1,000 “stamps” which you can use to telegram entire regions at once.

But that's just phase one says [violet] so keep an open mind – and an open wallet.

"I can't even remember when we first began planning to overhaul NationStates. This game is at heart a social network, so we've looked at what places like Facebook and Twitter are doing to get some ideas and we're really excited!"

In the future, WorldFactbook entries will be limited to 150 characters. You can purchase additional characters for $1.00 a piece but if you want it in color that's $5.00 extra. Players will also be able to keep up with the latest diplomatic news. Any time a nation in your region posts on the RMB, changes their flag or motto, or even logs in it will show up in your “NewsTicker”.

“Change can be scary, but it's time to move NationStates to a stylish newnot-so-2002ish look and we look forward to implementing more exciting changes.”

Anew NationStates iPhone ap is being developed (not available for Droid, sorry).

----

Written by New Kervoskia

The New Pacific Times: all the scandal that's fit to print

Proudly Part of PNN

Please note this is a tabloid and may not be based on (much) fact

Tabloids are the finest sources of real news in NS.  Just ask the WTF News Editor.

so we've looked at what places like Facebook and Twitter are doing

I want a follow up story on when the NationStates IPO is giong to happen.  There's no better way to generate more cash.

Nationstates 2 failed because Max smelled money, and so will this. What's his problem, aren't his books selling all that well? He'd do better for the membership of NS and society in general if he made a decent stand against NS Nazis and their like!

Personal opinion with absolutely no supporting evidence:  Max has finally hired someone to take care of some aspects of NS.  That salary has to come from somewhere.

What I don't think he (or any of the staff) realizes is that this system is indeed immediately exploitable for gameplay purposes and a paid account will give one an advantage.  It's the opposite of what he wanted.

Recruitment rules changes comment:

Frisbeeteria wrote:
a) the Mods haven't seen it either
B) we don't know exactly what the fallout will be
c) there seems to be quite a bit of contention over what is appropriate
d) [violet] does code. Mods do rules. Asking [violet] for rules clarification isn't going to get you a proper answer.

For the moment, recruit spam rules are the same as they have been for years. Once we've had a few days or weeks to play with the system, rule changes may become needed. We'll deal with them then.

• 2 weeks later...

Nah, he's realistically trying to find ways to make the site self-sufficient without putting more ads up.  As cheap as Bandwidth is these days, hosting a particularly popular website like NS does cost a fair amount of money.

I don't blame him, I just don't intend to buy any of those (save maybe the ad free thingy...even though I already block all the ads using ad-blocker, just to show my support for the site.)

If you're using Ad-Blocker (little stopsign icon with ABP instead of Stop written on it) you can click the stop sign and select "Turn off for this site" which will allow ads on a site you want to support but continue to block them else where...

The only reason I don't necessarily always do that myself is I have a rule that blocks all those facebook and twitter APIs calls that try to track your surfing habits by putting on Like/Share buttons on every page... What can I say, I'm a Social Media Luddite at times.

I would have more tolerance for ads if I could decide for myself where they were exhibited - not directly under the title as happens in Invisionfree with non-adblocker assisted browsers.  I also remove the maker ad tag on the collars of my shirts  - if they want to advertise on a shirt that I have purchased, than they should pay me for the privilege. Maybe we should ask Max Barry to pay us for using his game as a recreational tool - and charge him a few cents every time we mention his name; after-all, business is business!