¿Cómo se dice...?

Hariko

They are basically indistinct and whatever one is used will more depend either upon the level of education or the region.

Usually, cuarto is more broadly use by the everyday man, and habitacion by people with more... snoob education.

Likewise, certain countries and areas use HABITACION more than CUARTO, in SPAIN for example it would be cleared to say HABITACION.

But you can use any and most of the time most of the people will understand. HABITACION is more neutral.

You are right; cuarto and habitación are fully interchangeable and the use of one or other depends on the emitter. However, there's a very, very, very slight attitude you must take into account; in Spain, you'd usually say "mi habitación, su cuarto."

By the way, I've Castillian accent.. .__.

• 2 weeks later...

There used to be more in Old English. Have you ever thought why do you use 'were' as a subjunctive, when you could use 'was'?

Does it have to do with the disappearance of thou and the second person singular informal? And no, not really.

^^Same here ^_^

But I think I learned as much of it as I am ever going to use in my daily life. 

I would like to learn telling time, it seems I am especially bad at  it. 

Someone asks me: ¿Qué horas es? 

my response every time: Son las (enter number here) dos -_- I don't think that's right, nor does it work if its noon.   

Son las noon O.O

That's correct(I think), the problem is for me I had a horrible Spanish 1 teacher, so Spanish 2 was a living hell. 

I didn't really pick up Spanish, I really only drew and goofed off. Currently, there are anything from spaceships to penguins with monocles and top hats in my Spanish notebook.

I had to redo second level Spanish twice. The first time the teacher I had didn't speak a lick of English o.o (like at all) I failed every exam -_- Second time, my teacher was super sweet and spoke English to boot!! 

Passed with high marks ^_^ ^_^ 

She called me bunny  :wub:

He would often mumble in Portuguese, so while his Portuguese classes understood him, we were completely out of the loop sometimes. Also, he swore in Portuguese, so all the kids in the Portuguese classes would be...well you can guess. Anyway, he would have a word of the day in English, Spanish, Portuguese, and German. I remember the first word of the day was “sky,” so I guess that's why «cielo» sticks in my head and I don't forget it.

I think he left to move back to the Açores. 

ehehehe *-* sounds a lot like my old Stats professor. Only difference was he mumbled and swore in Dutch o.o for no reason, I might add. 

Nostalgic memories :wub:  

Just throwing this out there:

When you start speaking a different language from your primary language, do you translate the words in your head as you speak?

I don't know about the rest of you, but for me, I sort of go into what I call “Spanish mode” or “Dutch mode” where after a while, I start thinking in that language and associate objects with those words. Like for example, show me the red fruit in Spanish class and I'll instantly think «manzana», not “apple.” Does anyone else do this?

After being in a foreign language class for a while, when someone asks me a question in English, my brain locks up for a moment and I have to try to get my mind to think in English again before I can answer. Anything similar happen to you guys?

Sorry! As you know, I was sort of sick!

When you start speaking a different language from your primary language, do you translate the words in your head as you speak 

I don't know about the rest of you, but for me, I sort of go into what I call “Spanish mode” or “Dutch mode” where after a while, I start thinking in that language and associate objects with those words. Like for example, show me the red fruit in Spanish class and I'll instantly think «manzana», not “apple.” Does anyone else do this? After being in a foreign language class for a while, when someone asks me a question in English, my brain locks up for a moment and I have to try to get my mind to think in English again before I can answer. Anything similar happen to you guys?

As far as I know and have heard, the proper way to know you actually KNOW a language, is when you start thinking in that language when speaking it. If you think in a language and then speak another, you not only are going to end up stucked and babling, you are also wasting your efforts translating. You are basically constructing your idea, translating and then speaking it, and as a result you usually get people who goes "ehmmmmm", "ahhhhhhh", "... weird silences..." and you can easily notice they are translating their next part of the sentence.

Now well, the fact that you THINK in the language when using it does NOT measures HOW MUCH of it have you learned thus far, just that you are actually interorizing it