Foreign Update

We haven't done one in a while. I'd like us to do one to keep us in the public mind....probably can't expect GE to pop up, but c'est la vie.

Topics:

- Assembly Happenings

- The Revolution

- Scotland

- Elections

- punk is back?

What else?

WIP, with experimental new style.

9PXHIfG.png?2

The West Pacific Dispatch

March 2015

Government of The West Pacific:

WA Delegate: Darkesia (Endorsements: 273 | Elected: ~200 Days Ago)

Regional Population: 6,150 Nations

Delegate's Government of The Sacred Order:

Guardian Council: All Good People, Wickedly Evil People, Bhang Bhang Duc, Ethel Mermania

Speaker of the Holy Grand Assembly: Elegarth

Minister of Legislative Affairs: That Thing Called Vlagh

Minister of Internal Affairs: ProfessorHenn & Terran Borealis

Minister of Foreign Affairs: God-Emperor

Minister of Archivist Affairs: Huangshi

Minister of Military Affairs: Fratelionor

Chief Justice of the Holy Court: Siberian Districts

Mayor: Tweedy

Non-WA Delegate: TAO the Watcher

~ * ~

The Month in Important Assembly Affairs
  • After much debate, the duties of the Prime Minister's office are expected to adopted by the regional Speaker. The Speaker's name is then expected to be changed to "Prime Minister". The whole affair is quite backwards. 
  • Elegarth has re-elected to the position of Speaker.
  • Llamas has proposed the Executive Council Act before the Assembly. If passed, the resolution will create an official cabinet consisting of a Prime Minister and Officers of Foreign Affairs, World Assembly Affairs, Community Affairs, and Home Affairs. The goal is to legally formalize the current civil service system.
  • The Assembly intends to vote on a repeal of the Civil Code, citing the bill of rights as rendering it redundant.
  • Westwind has proposed reverting the name of The West Pacific Department of Defense to TWPAF, citing the lingering popularity of the "TWPAF" brand. The Assembly created the DoD earlier this year by putting the military and intelligence organs of the government under the purview of the same director.

cNp90qx.png

Welcome to the Front Page of TWP, Reddit!

As many have noticed, the feeders and the NS world at large have reached their highest mark in the last decade (yes, 2005 was ten years ago!) thanks to what, as it turns out, has largely been an influx from readers of the sub-reddit r/internetisbeautiful (http://www.reddit.com/r/InternetIsBeautiful/comments/2ymi1h/nationstates_a_website_that_lets_you_create_your/).

The West Pacific has been pleased to welcome redditors to the community and has taken a proactive approach to naturalizing them onto the game via the RMB. 

New players from Reddit who have been contributing to the RMB include Medivh and Small Jersey.

We welcome them and everyone else who has joined during these interesting times. Except, of course, for those nations who were booted for their affiliations with darker parts of the internet, or just generally inappropriate nation fields:

• 6 hours ago: Palatomia was ejected from The West Pacific by Darkesia.
  • 20 hours ago: Scrotalnation was ejected from The West Pacific by Darkesia.
  • 1 day 2 hours ago: Booby-ia was ejected from The West Pacific by Darkesia.
  • 1 day 6 hours ago: Pon Pon Wei Wei Wei was ejected and banned from The West Pacific by Darkesia.
  • 1 day 19 hours ago: Shiethole was ejected from The West Pacific by Darkesia.
  • 2 days ago: Buttscratchistan was ejected from The West Pacific by Darkesia.
  • 2 days 1 hour ago: Taxionius was ejected and banned from The West Pacific by Darkesia.
  • 2 days 1 hour ago: SenorDelgado was ejected and banned from The West Pacific by Darkesia.
Then again, a little exercising of the ban-button never hurt anybody.

Opinion: Why We Need the Redditors

by United RussoAsia

What with the enormous influx of new nations from reddit and elsewhere and a bunch of negativity over the ones determined to cause trouble, I decided to assemble an small article on why we need the redditors. 

We can split the 4 million+ nations that nationstates has hosted into groups:

• -Those that make a nation and never sign in again
  • -Those that sign in a couple times, then stop finding time for it and never come back
  • -Those that are hell-bent on trying to make everyone miserable
  • -Those that enjoy the game and make it a part of their day
  • -Those that participate in the community 
There isn't much we can do about the first three groups. The second to last group might eventually join the last group however. The thing is, it's the last group is what makes this game a great game. Sadly, for every 500 or so nations, we probably only get 1 or 2 of the last group. With a larger group of incoming nations, hopefully we get more of the nations that contribute to the community. If we get enough of these nations, they will greatly increase the value of our community by providing staff for military and political positions, writers for papers, friendly faces for the RMB, and nations willing to better the experience of their peers and themselves however they can. 

That said, welcome redditors, and I hope you come to enjoy this game as much as I do.

I wrote a little thingy on Yy spreading Lycanthropy earlier as a joke, I could finish it if you want to include it.

"The Lycanthropy outbreak in The West Pacific is the world's deadliest to date and the World Assembly has declared an international emergency as more than 5,000 people have died of werewolf maulings in Hariko, RussoAsia, Yy4u and Occidius this year alone.

What is Lycanthropy?

Lycanthropy is a viral illness of which the initial symptoms can include a sudden fever, intense weakness, muscle pain and a tail, according to the World Assembly Health Organization. And that is just the beginning: subsequent stages are extreme hunger, fur and - in some cases - both physical and mental deformation with extreme lusts for blood.

The disease infects humans through close contact with infected animals, including Yy4us and SWolves

It then spreads between humans by direct contact of the teeth of the infected with skin. Even funerals of Lycanthropy victims can be a risk, if mourners host them during a full moon with an open casket.

The incubation period can last from two days to three weeks, although diagnosis is simple. The human disease has so far been mostly limited to the West Pacific, although one strain has cropped up in the Rejected Realms.

Healthcare workers are at risk if they treat patients without taking the right precautions to avoid infection. People are infectious as long as they remain living, and attempting to treat them only results in the epidemic further expanding.

[More stuff goes here blah blah blah so many words]

We are all doomed."

Ok here we go, it's not as good as I would like but I've got a few hours to make edits as necessary.

Lycanthropy In TWP?

"The Lycanthropy outbreak in The West Pacific is the world's deadliest to date and the World Assembly has declared an international emergency as more than 5,000 people have died of werewolf maulings in Hariko, RussoAsia, Yy4u and Occidius this year alone.

What is Lycanthropy?

Lycanthropy is a viral illness of which the initial symptoms can include a sudden fever, intense weakness, muscle pain and a tail, according to the World Assembly Health Organization. And that is just the beginning: subsequent stages are extreme hunger, fur and - in some cases - both physical and mental deformation with extreme lusts for blood.

The disease infects humans through close contact with infected animals, including Yy4us and SWolves

It then spreads between humans by direct contact of the teeth of the infected with skin. Even funerals of Lycanthropy victims can be a risk, if mourners host them during a full moon with an open casket.

The incubation period can last from two days to three weeks, although diagnosis is simple. The human disease has so far been mostly limited to the West Pacific, although one strain has cropped up in both the Rejected Realms and the Pacific.

Healthcare workers are at risk if they treat patients without taking the right precautions to avoid infection. People are infectious as long as they remain living, and attempting to treat them only results in the epidemic further expanding.

Where Does it Strike?

Lycanthropy outbreaks occur primarily in remote villages in Hariko, Occidius, and United RussoAsia when citizens are exposed to Yy4u.

It was first discovered on the 9th of June, 2005, and has since spread at an alarming rate, decimating smaller noobish countries dependant on spamming the RMB.

Lycanthropy Deaths Since 2005

This outbreak is unusual, as it has originated in Hariko, which had previously never before been afflicted, and spread rapidly to other civilised countries and major urban centres.

From remote areas in SouthEastern Hariko, the wolves spread to the capital, Harikosa, and from there to neighbouring countries Occidius and United RussoAsia.

There have been three cases of Lycanthropy in these nations, each case spreading wildly and wholly consuming its population, and these cases are in danger of spreading further by tourists and other unsuspecting denizens who had forgotten not to wear their steak cologne.

There have similarly been reported cases in one Pacifican nation, which has since sprouted dog ears and a lust for the blood of the innocent. On the 14th of march, this nation became the first outside of The West Pacific to contract the disease, and is now in quarantine to prevent spreading. When asked how he may have contracted this illness, the nation, who will be left unnamed, stated "I was on my daily walk through the West Pacific's RMB on my puppet. I had dressed extra fancy that day, with my new steak suit and bacon wristwatch. I had even purchased some new cologne, "Sauce au Roquefort" which I absolutely doused myself in that day, and purchased a hat coated in puff pastry to finish off that classic "beef wellington" look that all the kids are using these days. Suddenly, out of nowhere, a giant dog came up and bit my ankles, for no reason! I beat it back and ran away."

"And you think this is what infected you with lycanthropy?"

"Oh no, don't be ridiculous. I was in the airport a day later and some lady coughed near me. That's what did it, for sure."

Evidently, this illness can also be spread through the air, and all citizens are advised to purchase several hundred dollar masks that may or may not actually help.

What Precautions Should I take?

Aside from the aforementioned masks, citizens are advised to avoid attracting werewolves, another carrier of this disease. Proper hygiene is essential as well, be certain to wash your hands thoroughly. The World Assembly health organisation also warns against consuming raw meat and any contact with infected noobs. Fried noobs in particular are considered a special delicacy in TWP, where the outbreak started.

What can be done if I catch it?

Remain isolated and seek professional help to write your will.

There are no vaccines, though some are being tested, along with variants of drugs. The World Assembly Health Organisation ruled last weekl that untested drugs can be used to treat patients in order to more quickly discover a potential cure.

Patients who have contracted Lycanthropy frequently grow fur and gain an insatiable lust for blood. While the fur can be cut, it is advised that the ears be left alone as cutting off your own ears is almost as foolish as thinking that would help in the first place. Patients are advised to satiate this bloodlust safely, though it is uncertain if this successfully prolongs the initial phases before the transformation.

Lastly, the speaker for the World Assembly Health Organisation had this to say in a public speech the other day to address concerns of the outbreak.

"We are all doomed."

More as the story progresses.

Quite brilliant, thank you for that Nox! :)

I'll be drafting something about the political changes currently going on, with the HGA becoming more active and various bills being considered and having already passed.

It's smallish, and I could add to it, but I think it's point is made.

On why we need the redditors

What with the enormous influx of new nations from reddit and elsewhere and a bunch of negativity over the ones determined to cause trouble, I decided to assemble an small article on why we need the redditors.

We can split the 4 million+ nations that nationstates has hosted into groups.

-Those that make a nation and never sign in again

-Those that sign in a couple times, then stop finding time for it and never come back

-Those that enjoy the game and make it a part of their day

-Those that participate in the community

The last group is what makes this game a great game. Sadly, for every 500 or so nations, we probably only get 1 or 2 of the last group. With a larger group of incoming nations, hopefully we get more of the nations that contribute to the community. If we get enough of these nations, they will greatly increase the value of our community by providing staff for military and political positions, writers for papers, friendly faces for the RMB, and nations willing to better the experience of their peers and themselves however they can.

That said, welcome redditors, and I hope you come to enjoy this game as much as I do.

Reply with comments.

We cannot forget the addition of another group.

-Those that are here solely to attempt to antagonise everybody.

They're useful in that they'll build up the population of the Rejected Realms, it's unfair that all the feeders gain huge population boosts and they're left behind, poor guys.

We cannot forget the addition of another group.

-Those that are here solely to attempt to antagonise everybody.

They're useful in that they'll build up the population of the Rejected Realms, it's unfair that all the feeders gain huge population boosts and they're left behind, poor guys.

Ah yes, I'll add that.

On why we need the redditors

We can split the 4 million+ nations that nationstates has hosted into groups.

-Those that make a nation and never sign in again

-Those that sign in a couple times, then stop finding time for it and never come back

-Those that are hell-bent on trying to make everyone miserable

-Those that enjoy the game and make it a part of their day

-Those that participate in the community

There isn't much we can do about the first three groups. The second to last group might eventually join the last group however. The thing is, it's the last group is what makes this game a great game. Sadly, for every 500 or so nations, we probably only get 1 or 2 of the last group. With a larger group of incoming nations, hopefully we get more of the nations that contribute to the community. If we get enough of these nations, they will greatly increase the value of our community by providing staff for military and political positions, writers for papers, friendly faces for the RMB, and nations willing to better the experience of their peers and themselves however they can.

Pretty good. I added it to the update untouched, because it's your first shot at this and I think the effort is great.

So you can learn for next time, check out how we've written updates in the past. Updates have a very specific style of writing and reading them over will help you get a feel for that style! Keep up the good work.

Pretty good. I added it to the update untouched, because it's your first shot at this and I think the effort is great.

So you can learn for next time, check out how we've written updates in the past. Updates have a very specific style of writing and reading them over will help you get a feel for that style! Keep up the good work.

Sorry :P.