Z-3 Debrief - Ideas for Improvement

Mediobogdum

Now that the dust has settled, maybe it is a time to reflect on how TWP performed during Z-3.

Perhaps we need to put together a small team to produce a 'lessons learnt' from Z-3 and make recommendations to TWP heirachy on how to improve our performance for Z-4, and review any issued guidance for participating nations?  Dark did show us the light but maybe an earlier issue of routines to be followed etc, might have given us a greater than the 400 or so TWP nations who had set their nations to Research a Cure? 

As a starter. I have one suggestion.  Nations targetting cure missiles an hour or so prior to apocalpse-end, should cease curing nations when only 1 or 2 million 'souls are saved' per missile. At this point, nations firing cure missiles should rapidly move on through the target list, thereby making our cure strikes more efficient. Whilst this might not seem a tidy way of doing business, it would increase our number of survivors in a given time.

Any volunteers to start this process off?  There must be many who are better at NS Zombie Apocalypse gameply than me, but I am happy to be part of a team to help 'pull together' the 'report'.

I agree that during the last phase (last hour or so?) of the apocalypse we should set a figure of zombie cures by missiles which when reached (1 or 2 million?) means that cure missiles must be targetted on a nother nation when so-directed to by our Zombie Control Center if and when we have one. However, to do this too early would, I believe, mean that infected populations of the former nations would be increasingly likely to suffer from zombie attacks. This plan, of course presumes that Max does not introduce a change in the last phase of Z-4 such that nations which have a mixed population of survivors and infected, are specifically targetted by zombie hordes!

I think in order to have the most survive and least dead, early on we have to cure the large nations. 

No offense to the 300mill or less pop nations but to truly impact our end of Z-day numbers we have to keep the Southern Eureka's and Eli's of the world with the least amount of zombies.

I also think it's important to ensure that 5billion + nations focus on the cure, that gives us the biggest bang for the buck. 

With those generalities out the way, it's important to know who can be online and at what times during the day and prepare the missile squads. Coordination among 5 people can cure out zombies in even the largest of nations pretty quickly. But there were times when each of us was trying to do solo cleans which take a while once you get under a billion. 

All in all, I think we did very well and were very coordinated during the day. I think we'll need to do some more prep work in the future if we want to get to the top of the list.

I agree that we must concentrate on keeping our largest nations at 100% infection free, especially those five which were designated during Z-3, viz Darkesia, and four others (can't remember which now).  I kept regularly checking to see if they were so because when their owners are 'off line' resting, they are vulnerable to zombie attacks.

Before we lose the Z-3 data, is it possible to find out the populations of TWP nations in descending order of size?  I was hoping to look at the top 50 or so and see how they fared.  So far I have looked at Dark: 99.71% (why not 100%?). AGP: 100%, PD, 100%, Southern Eureka: 100%, and WEP: 99.38%. I appreciate that some large population puppets were imported for Z-3 but I thought it would be interesting to see the details of survival %. 

Seems weird seeing my TWP nation (Southern Eureka) refered to as a large nation, but I guess it's true at this point...I created it back when Eli moved the forums onto my server....like what...2006 or so Eli?

I regret I was not able to be online much during Z3 due to work and other RL obligations.  I set SE to Cure as soon as I could.

yes it was January 2006 after Berm decided he didn't want us on their legacy forum, which of course doomed the resistance beyond what they were already doomed

People: 25,942,147,082

Zombies: 0

Dead: 4,215,150

Survival Rate: 99.98%

that's from Eli  

My persective of Z3:

What went well;

• We got quite a few large population nations to research a cure as soon as the event timer began.
  • I figured out how to close the borders shortly after they fixed the bug, so we were protected.
  • Autonomica's tools were a huge help in location large zombie populations for cure missile targets
  • People were vocal and prompt about reporting horde nations and rogue TZES.
  • We stayed organized until the very end (an amazing feat for our laidback, huge region)
  • The Guardian System made me comfortable enough that I ejected the nations that needed it, including Vlagh, without worry for the security of the region post-Z3.

What could have gone better;

• I did not communicate the idea that TZES do not aid the region's survivor rates at all.  I received 80 telegrams from nations frustrated that I would not allow them to go around killing all the zombies in the region, afterall that how they do it in the TV Shows and Movies.  If we choose the same strategy next time, we will need to improve our communication in this area. 
  • We did not notice (until too late) the damage done to our survival rates by nations (large or small) who were permitted to get nearly 100% infected and their population began dying without the interferance of TZES.  An additional tool to track the infection rates in all nations would help tremendously.
  • While we were impressivly organized, the addition of "large nation" cure missle teams and "small nation" cure missile teams would improve efficiency so that large nations can move on to the next target while the small nations clean up and bring infection rates to zero.  The problems with leaving some zombies in the nations are: it effects the regional infection rate and rogue TZES can't kill healthy citizens, only zombies.
  • We need a faster means of identifying horde nations.  I could easly clear the lists generated but between refreshes we had to rely on reports of nations actually attacking.  I wonder if we could run more than one tool at different intervals.  A question for the code monkeys for next Z-day.
  • Many of us, myself included had large population nations in protected regions which reached Haven status.  I had intended to coordinate some immigration of those nations before the end of the event, but I could not manage to get that organized and rolling.  I think we need to plan something like that before hand next time.  I think that last push could have got us into the top 5.

That's my 2 cents.

Using clinics could help greatly. Have a number of new regions established with a handful (maybe 5-10) of inhabitants that all set their nations to researching the cure. Shortly after the beginning of the apocalypse, those regions will be able to cure each other 100%. Then when someone with a "large" nation comes online and realizes that they have a high infection rate, they can be sent to the "clinic" to have their zombies cured. That will help to contain the zombie outbreak. 

An additional possibility is that a safe haven be created for active nations that have been cured to use when they go off line. Using a revolving password to protect the region, it could be a safe place to park while you sleep/work/whatever without being beset by the zombie hordes of the greater TWP population.

The problem with that (otherwise wonderful) idea, is that it requires opening and closing the borders here in order to let each wave of cured nations back in.  In a region this large, I can promise you that there will be someone waiting to pounce on any keycode put on TWP or for a brief border crossing. 

Border openings need to be kept to a minimum.  I was thinking of one or at most two toward the end of the event, with enough time afterward to clean up any horde or TZE nations that make their way in with the others.

If the nations were active it could be coordinated with a password lock that could be changed after a minute or two and any nations that somehow snuck in during that time could be ejected right away before they were able to cause any problems. That of course is a lot of work for the founder/WAD though.

Dark, you said "Many of us, myself included had large population nations in protected regions which reached Haven status.  I had intended to coordinate some immigration of those nations before the end of the event, but I could not manage to get that organized and rolling."  I do not understand the "protected regions" or "Haven status" - could you tell me what they are please?

Do I understand correctly that it was your intention to import some of your puppet nations from Haven status regions to TWP to improve our own survivor numbers? How intriguing - us lesser mortals had no conception of this ploy :(  

There must have been a team of y'all working very hard behind the scenes!  For my part, in the last hour or so, I just kept checking on our delegates for infections whilst sending cure missiles to nations on the list which Autonomica had built.  I did not see any of the really big guns on the list but did alert that Southern Eureka should be a priority target at one point.  Was there a cure missile team working on the highest populations as a priority? Sorry to keep asking questions but I want to learn.  What happened to Ostroeuropa - disappeared off the scene and was replaced by ...?

As an aside, my efforts to see which nations fared well by TWP nation size is proving to be rather difficult - AGP was unable to give me an easy route so have gone for going through the list as per the World Census Report to find the large nations!  So far I have 8 nations in the >20 billion population category.  This is probably a nugatory exercise but maybe this week the Report will be on Population :)

My observations:

1. Good spotting of zombie horde nations and reporting on the RMB
  2. The targetting of big nations to clean first was a little spotty at first, but the calling quickly improved
  3. Diminishing returns for cure missiles
    1. Cure only 2 million once zombie population was < 30 million
    2. Cure only 1 million once zombie population was < 20 million

Thanks for that BBD :)  It might just be that once an infected nation gets to the stage where only 1 or 2 million are being 'saved' by cure missiles, we might do best to move the 'big hitters' onto cure another nation and leave the 'smaller hitters' to finish off.

• 10 months later...

Every Halloween there is a mini game, and every nation is infected with zombies. You have three options, join the zombies, kill the zombies, or cure them. If you chose to join the zombies, you get zombie hordes you can use on other nations, infecting their citizens. If you chose to kill the zombies, you can get tactical teams to send into other nations to kill zombies. And with curing, you can send cure teams. Over time the teams upgrade to become more effective. Different regions choose different things, such as trying to have the most survivors, or the least. It's a time of great activity, and the RMB's are more active than even a DEN coup could create (in most larger regions that is).

TLDR: Halloween = Zombie Invasion