Wintreath

God-Emperor

• 1 month later...

Orendi VII
Wintreath Foreign Update

wintreath__518642.png

Government of Wintreath

Monarch: Wintermoot
Jarl of Culture: Amalya (Pengu as Acting Jarl)
Jarl of Defense: Chanku
Jarl of Foreign Affairs: Wintermoot
Jarl of Integration: Point Breeze
Jarl of WA Affairs: Reon

A Message from the Monarch

dn-vik.jpg
Just another standard photo op for the Monarch. Article by Wintermoot.

Greetings, friends and allies of Wintreath. You may have noticed that this is the first Orendi to be dispatched in quite a few months. As we have worked to overhaul our foreign affairs program, it has become apparent that it takes a great amount of time and effort to put this dispatch together, and because of that we will be scaling the Orendi back from a monthly dispatch to a seasonal dispatch, with each edition covering events from the season before in detail. Between releases, we will continue to send smaller dispatches covering everything from events going on in the region to interviews to tidbits about the region. We feel this is the best way to maintain active relations and embassies with all of our diplomatic partners.

I hope that you enjoy reading our latest Orendi, and that relations between our regions continue to grow and prosper.

Judicial Reform Perplexes Wintreath

aEvOT3Y.jpg
The fight over Judicial reform! Article by Wintermoot

In a region that has seen few political divisions, the debate and continued failure to come to agreement on judicial reform stands out. While most Citizens agree that the current judicial system isn't working, there are a wide variety different ideas on the system that should replace it. Proposals have included the creation of a jury pool of Citizens whose members would be selected to hear cases at random, the creation of an elected Supreme Court, the transfer of judicial authorities to the Monarch, and the abolition of the judiciary entirely. While the debate has been on-and-off since June, to date no proposal has passed the Storting with the 2/3 supermajority required to amend the Fundamental Laws, the Constitution of our region. Given that proposals most also pass a referendum by the same supermajority, it goes without saying that any judicial proposal has a harrowing journey to passage.

To better understand the diversity of ideas and the mindsets behind them, I've approached some of our current and past members of government that have advocated a particular solution with one question: why do you feel your stance is the right one for Wintreath over the others?

Reon (Underhusen Skrifa): You have recently authored and introduced the Omnibus Judicial Repeal, stating that it was in anticipation of another amendment bringing judicial authorities to the Monarch. Why do you feel this is the best approach for Wintreath?

To me, our current system is a lie. It places power quite fictionally in the hands of people when of course, this is not possible in a monarchy. I see this as a good step to a more honest, more flexible, more visibly pro-monarch law. 

Unlike my compatriot, Chanku, I feel that traditionalism is a danger to society. A way to ignore our problems and claim that they are in fact strengths. I feel a more flexible law is a more powerful law and that in a monarchy with a highly trusted Monarch this is highly possible.

Thank you for giving me this chance to speak.

Joshua Bleuteisen (Underhusen Skfria): In the current debate, you have openly supported abolishing the judiciary and going as far as stating you wouldn't support any other judicial reform proposal. Why do you feel abolishment is the best approach for Wintreath?

We're a small community; a community this small is better off with a powerful executive, versus a slow and ineffective judiciary. 

If we were to implement one, I feel that it would be best to have a fresh start versus trying to fix our current, haphazardly put-together system.

Wintermoot (Monarch): You authored the first judicial reform attempt, the Administration of Justice Amendment Act, which would have created a jury pool with members selected at random for each court case, but withdrew support for it after it failed in the Storting not once, but twice. Why did you feel this was the best approach for Wintreath?

I don't believe that the issues with the current system are in the ideas behind it, but the implementation. The current system was designed so that we would have a slate of potential judges knowledgeable about Wintrean law for each case instead of an inactive judicial branch with the same people deciding each and every case, which raises the potential for arbitrary decisions and abuses of power. I felt that the Administration of Justice Amendment Act resolved the loopholes and issues by removing judicial authorities from the Storting and creating a formal pool of judges that anyone meeting the requirements could apply for. 

However, I've accepted that this is not the direction the region wants to go in, and since withdrawing support I'm mostly listening to the other proposals and chiming in when I feel I have something constructive to contribute to the debate.

Chanku (Underhusen Speaker): To date, you have opposed all proposals for judicial reform and have instead recently proposed two Acts, the Judicial Offices Omnibus Amendment Act and the Case Selection Procedure Act, both of which aim to fix the current system. Why do you feel fixing the current system is the best approach for Wintreath?

My answer lies in what I politically am in Wintreath, and my history in Wintreath in some part, along with my line of thought in the other part. You see, I've been here since the start, and I helped write the Fundamental Laws as well. I'm also a traditionalist, in the sense that I prefer not changing things constitutionally unless necessary, as in if there was an error that if not fixed could cause a bit of a disaster or there is proof that it fails to work.

Therefore I want to preserve our current system. I do acknowledge it has it's faults, as with any system, however I am unsure if it actually works due to a lack of cases to date to actually see if it works. 

However it should be noted that I will compromise, while I initial opposed the Administration of Justice Act, I later decided to come out in support as I felt it was the best compromise at the time. Although at this time it should be noted that I would probably abstain on all vote should it pass through the chambers. I do however oppose the abolishment and the passing of the Judicial System to the Monarch. The main reason being that there is no reason, other than that we are a fictional monarchy, which holds little weight in my opinion.

Games, Games, and more games to come!

games.jpg
A collection of Wintreath's many games to play! Article by Pengu

If there's anything that we know anyone loves, it's games, and this may be something that is slowly becoming what Wintreath can be known for.  What started as a single Werewolf game has exploded into much more because of the astounding participation from both our citizens and residents, as well as our growing tourist population.  In fact, as of writing this, Werewolf is in the works of its 4th game with one of our newest citizens, Laurentus, taking the helm.  

Spyfall was also introduced into Wintreath, and was met with much enthusiasm.  Now, our acting Jarl of Culture is working on more ideas to cook up on what to bring to Wintreath in the form of regional games and contests.  Some of his ideas include Clue, Resistance, 20 questions, and even an interactive form of Choose your own Adventure.  We're looking forward to see just what other games will be popping up around Wintreath, and we hope to see all of you taking part when they do.

Citizen of the Month Contest Established, Amalya First Winner

9LQg9wK.jpg
Citizens discuss what makes someone a Citizen of the Month. Article by Wintermoot.

Wintreath recently had its first Citizen of the Month election, where Citizens can nominate and then choose an outstanding member of the community that has had a great impact on the region and the people in it. The Citizen of the Month then gets a special forum mask with the colour of their choice and the opportunity to be interviewed so everyone can get to know their Citizen of the Month and their reflections on their time in the region.

The first person to be recognized by our Citizens is our Jarl of Culture, Amalya, who is someone I can safely say has touched so many of us in the community for the better through her openness, honesty, charm, humour, and strength to stand up for who she is and what she believes in. She's been a true role model for everyone here, and it's an absolute honour to be able to interview her.

Congrats on being elected as Wintreath's first Citizen of the Month! Of course, you have previously been recognized by the Monarchy when you were made a Countess, but how does it feel to now be recognized by your fellow Citizens?

It feels great. Recognition from the Monarchy is fantastic, but being recognized by the other citizens of our great region is fantastic, and heartwarming.

Let's go back to the beginning, when you first joined our community back in May. What brought you to Wintreath in the first place, and what were your first impressions as a new Citizen starting out in the region? Did anything surprise you? 

In May, I was returning to NS after an absence, and looking for a new home. Honestly I'm still not sure why I chose Wintreath, perhaps it was fate, I just know I'm glad I did. When I first arrived, the thing that struck me the most was the openness, and how approachable everyone seemed to be. I didn't really know what to expect coming here, so nothing really surprised me. 

Since then, you've become a vital part of our community and you've done so much for the region. What do you consider to be your proudest accomplishment in the region, and how has the community itself impacted you? 

My proudest accomplishment in the region cannot be measured. The thing I pride myself on most in the region is all the smiles I am able to bring to all the citizens faces. I cannot measure my success by contributions to the region in such a way that would allow me to pick just one, because without the community support, and without the citizens as a whole, I would have nothing to succeed at. The biggest impact that Wintreath has had on me is definitely giving me confidence, both in dealing with my current illness, and in dealing with every day life. Contrary to anything Jone has to say on the matter, I came here with less of a view of myself, but now hold my head up proudly.

Being a veteran of the region and all its antics now, if you could give one piece of advice to new and potential Citizens of the region, what would it be? 

Get involved. Seriously, not necessarily in the government side of things if that's not your style, but get involved in the culture side of things at least. Wintreath is a very unique place, and will quickly become a second family to you if you let us in. Speak up if there is anything you are unsure of. Wintreath is a vibrant community, your involvement will make it that much better for you, and everyone else in the region.

When you imagine Wintreath in the future, what does it look like to you? Anything you'd like to see happen? 

I'd like to see Wintreath continue to grow, not just in numbers but in activity as well. We already have a great sense of community, and that will only continue to get better and better. Wintreath's future will have a lot more of myself in it as well, since I refuse to be kept down by my illness any longer. I'd like to see our roleplay section have a little more variety to it again, to appeal to all citizens.

It's wonderful to hear that you'll be with us more often again. Any final thoughts or remarks for the region and the world at large?

Thank you Wintreath, for not only accepting me as I am, but embracing me as well. The region is a better place for having each and every one of you in it. You all are amazing.

It's the Great Election Day Wintermoot!

goodgrief.jpg
This new election term is already full of surprises! Article by Pengu.

Last term, we had a list of candidates run for office, though none of the candidates had campaigned.  It was something that was dreaded to happen in the future, because it was something that had potentially foreshadowed what the term itself was going to be like.

This term however, has proved quite the opposite!  Very shortly after elections had opened, candidates began to pop up like daisies.  And in an equal amount of time, campaign threads began to pop up as well!  While only half of the candidates have started campaigning as of writing this, it's definitely a welcome change compared to last term.

And it's proving to be quite exciting so far too!  Almost immediately after campaign threads came up did questions start pouring in for our candidates.  Between answering those, the debates being sparked in the campaign threads, and the action that it's sparked in candidates taking the initiative to do things in other parts of the forum...let's just say it's been quite an exciting election process so far for Wintreath, and no matter who gets elected this term, it'll be an election to remember.

News in Briefs

underwear-clipart-toonvectors-27099-140.
Happy news makes for happy briefs!

• Wintreath held a successful festival with The North Pacific which lasted from February 8th to the 13th and included a AMA for Wintermoot and McMasterdonia, an event to match people up with new friends from the other region, and an icebreaker that led to discussion of everything from hobbies to music.
  • Wintreath committed to eventually adopting a regional currency later in the spring. A regional contest gave us the name of this future currency, the Krone.
  • A Sunshine Policy was announced regarding discussions of the Riksråd, the regional Cabinet. Cabinet discussions will now be made public after one year.
  • Acting Jarl of Culture Pengu brought Werewolf (Mafia) games to the region, which have become a huge success and has thus far resulted in three very fun games. Plans are under way for a fourth game hosted by new Citizen Laurentus in the near future.
  • Wintreath entered into a treaty pact with The Rejected Realms in November, and just recently entered into a treaty of friendship with Ainur.
  • Since the publication of the last Orendi, Wintreath has established relations with Taijitu, Mordor, and The South Pacific(again). Hello, new friends!

Thanks for reading!

• 3 weeks later...

An Invitation to Werewolf IV

Greetings to our friends!

I'm pleased to be able to forward you this invitation from Wintreath to the fourth iteration of our regional Werewolf game! This time one of our new Citizens, Laurentus, will be running the game, but it should be as fun as the past games we've put on! We hope to see you there! The invitation contains the link needed to join, and you don't have to apply for anything to sign up, just register on our forum if you don't already have an account.

Hey there everyone, Pengu here with another friendly Werewolf announcement! Werewolf IV is kicking off its sign ups right now, with Laurentus taking the reigns! He's got quite a game in store for us, using Monty Python's: The Holy Grail as his theme. Here's how he describes the game:

So the theme for Werewolf IV is going to be Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and the object is to try and get past the Bridgekeeper and get to -- you guessed it -- the holy grail!

But it's not that simple. During the day phase, someone will get nominated to face the Bridgekeeper's 3 riddles (the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow may or may not be included), and whoever gets the most votes will be forced to do so. Failing even one of the 3 riddles will mean instant death in a fiery pit just below the bridge.

At night, the two (or possibly more, depending on how many people participate) disguised French knights will try to eliminate one member of the party at camp, while Arthur tries to identify who among his party are the French knights, and Sir Galahad the Pure and Sir Robin the not-quite-so-brave-as-Sir-Lancelot try to defend one person each night. Sir Lancelot has the power to kill one person independently each night for up to 3 nights. Sir Lancelot is a bit of a tool, and is just as likely to kill an innocent as a bad guy, making him the vigilante of this game of werewolf, although he owes his allegiance to the good guys. There may also be a seer for the bad guys as well depending on the number of players that we get!

Sounds interesting right? I encourage anyone who wants to take part to come on over and sign up today!

You can sign up for the game here: wintreath.com/forums/index.php?topic=2218.0

I hope to see you there!

Sincerely,

Gabriel S. Penguon (Aka Pengu)
Penguon2.png

• 1 month later...

Invitation to First Wintreath Hearthstone Tournament

I0R9N6b.jpg?2
This is what our tournament would look like if we had a budget. Maybe next time?

Greetings, friends of Wintreath!

As someone that has envisioned competitive e-sports taking root in NationStates, I'm happy to announce that our region is preparing to host our very first Hearthstone tournament, and of course you are invited! For more about the event, please see the message below from the host of the tournament, Hugsim. If you're a Hearthstone player and are interested please consider signing up! We hope to see you there!

Hello there everyone! This is Hugsim, the host of the first Wintrean Hearthstone tournament speaking live, from wonderful Wintreath.

Hearthstone is an online collectible card game from Blizzard, the creators of Starcraft and World of Warcraft. It's surprisingly easy to get into, and has countless of hours of fun in store for you.

Hearthstone became popular in the region after it was voted April's Game of the Month which lead to several citizens playing against each other every now and then, and one thing lead to another, and now we're here with a tournament soon to begin!

The signups end on Friday the 29th. Hope to see you there!

- Hugsim

Most sincerely yours,

9rffIwo.png
Inric Nordrim Kestar (Wintermoot I of Wintreath)
Monarch and Founder of Wintreath

• 2 weeks later...

Werewolf goes Old School:

DppkqJF.jpg?1

Some of the odd characters that appeared in the Kingdom last night.

It's absolute chaos in the peaceful Mushroom Kingdom, as King Bowser Koopa uses a wand that opens portals throughout Mushroom Kingdom and alters the universe.  Now ducks are flying throughout and spreading trouble, an ape has taken to high places and throwing barrels while holding Princess Daisy captive, and many of the peaceful toads have developed a strange desire: to deliver papers on a bicycle while avoiding pointless obstacles and the occasional obstacle course...all while avoiding the occasional angry Toad coming out of their home and chasing them for breaking their window.

There's also the sudden emergence of heroes seeking golden triangles, a new fascination with karate and flying space ships, toads chasing others with whips claiming they're chasing vampires, and homes being destroyed by blocks seemingly appearing from space (and then disappearing when they touch)...but those things aren't important!

What is important is that Mushroom Kingdom is in danger, and it needs your help.  Can you do what it takes to stop King Bowser Koopa before the Kingdom is completely destroyed?  Or will it become a wasteland of retro proportions?  Stop by the castle if you wish to save the kingdom!

Sound like fun?  Stop on by Wintreath (a link is provided above) and sign up today!

The font is so little and hard to read!!! Would you mind if I edit the format of your post a little to ease reading?

I just post what I'm given.  :P But I definitely see what you mean.  I've changed it, but go ahead and alter whatever formatting you want. 

• 3 weeks later...

Wintreath Q&A: Ask Us Anything!

nn5nqnK.jpg
If you have questions, we (might) have answers!

Greetings to our friends in The West Pacific!

Part of the purpose of regions establishing relations with each other is to learn more about them and their communities, and hopefully over time to grow closer and find commonalities to base further relations from. We send out news releases and invitations to help expose who we are as a region and what we do, but nothing beats directly answering questions! If you'd like, ask me anything about Wintreath! If it isn't a question I can directly answer, I will find someone who can and relay it back to you.

I look forward to answering any questions that you might have. :)

I think this little q&a is a really cool idea! Sorry for the delay, I was on vacation for a few days.

I've got a question: what are Wintreath's goals for the future, specifically as it concerns inter-regional relations? And even more specifically, (if I may,) as it relates to TWP?

Hello! I think Colberius has been busy in real life lately, so I'll field this one. :)

Our goals for the immediate future were detailed in my recent State of the Region Address, and includes developing our culture even further, maintaining and expanding our diplomatic network, and making sure the two compliment each other. I'm not sure that we have goals for specific regions other than maintaining active embassies, but if TWP would like to pursue closer relations we're open to the possibility.

• 2 weeks later...

Due to Colberius being a bit busy in IRL (I'm guessing), I'll be posting this on his behalf.

Orendi VIII
Wintreath Foreign Update 8

wintreath__67470.png

Government of Wintreath

Monarch: Wintermoot
Jarl of Culture: Pengu (Sapphiron as Acting Jarl)
Jarl of Defense: Chanku
Jarl of Foreign Affairs: Wintermoot
Jarl of Integration: Point Breeze
Jarl of WA Affairs: Reon

Wintreath Breaks Activity Records in June!
pbphW3x.jpg
Article by Wintermoot

An influx of new members from a sustained recruitment and integration drive drove regional activity to levels never before seen, breaking all-time records for posts in a single day (297), for a week (1310), and for an entire month (3424). There was no one topic or event that drove activity, but several prominent discussions included Underhusen elections, the revival of the popular "Ask Me Anything" area, and a debate on a sunshine policy for a new private forum for the regional legislature, the Storting.

Ten Most Active Topics in June:
1. Double Post Game (Round II) - 765 posts
2. Say What's On Your Mind - 210 posts
3. Ask Me Anything: Anneliese - 165 posts
4. The Inter-regional Civilization V Competitions! - 124 posts
5. Word Association - 102 posts
6. [Discussion]Private Storting Forum Procedural Rules - 78 posts
7. Post Your Picture - 77 posts
8. Werewolf 5: Super Mario Continuum - 67 posts
9. My turn: Ask Me Anything! - 59 posts
10. MTBI Personality Test - 57 posts

The surge has also spread to other areas of the region, bringing new levels of activity to the regional Minecraft server and the revival of regional Civilization V games, while also sustaining an ongoing Hearthstone tournment and the beginning of the fifth regional game of Werewolf. Thanks to the effort of our recruiters, mentors, and Citizens, Wintreath has begun to realize a vision of hosting an expansive, friendly, and cooperative gaming community that transcends NationStates, and everyone in the region deserves a share of the credit for this success.

Elections! Elections Everywhere!
election_vote.2.jpg_resized_460_.jpeg
Article by Laurentus

June Elections:

Wintreath has recently concluded its tenth election for the Underhusen, the legislative body of government.

A total of ten candidates ran, competing for one of the five seats available.

The race remained unpredictable, with only two of the candidates - The Church of Satan and Laurentus - consistently getting enough votes to win seats as votes came in. Other candidates, such as taulover, gained an early lead, but ultimately fell behind as the election ran on.

The candidates who managed to win seats were:

1. The Church of Satan
2. Laurentus
3. HannahB
4. tatte
5. Aragonn

Laurentus was elected as Speaker, and he immediately appointed The Church of Satan as Speaker Pro Tempore and Aragonn as the Secretary.

April Elections:

The Underhusen elections in April were just as exciting, with ten candidates competing for five seats.

The candidate who ended with the most votes was Pengu, and his close runner-ups, who shared second place, were Reon and Laurentus.

The election ended with 3 of the candidates in a tie, however, and not one, but two run-off elections were held to break the ties!

Chanku, Sapphiron and Point Breeze competed in the first run-off, and while Sapphiron ended up winning the run-off with thirteen votes, Chanku and Point Breeze were once more tied with eight votes each.

In the second run-off, Point Breeze managed to gain a sizable lead and won with ten votes to Chanku's three.

In the aftermath of the elections, Pengu was quickly chosen as the Speaker, and appointed Point Breeze as the Speaker Pro Tempore.

This session went down as one of the most active in recent memory.

Revocation of Citizenship Attempt
Article by taulover

An unprecedented event happened last month in Wintreath with an attempt to revoke Govindia's citizenship. Govindia has been highly active in working to improve the Wintrean community, but has also been accused of harassment.

The revocation bill was pushed into the Underhusen by other Wintreans, who felt that Govindia was continually harassing other Wintreans, even after asked to stop. However, Govindia argued that others had been disrespectful towards him, and that he was simply being direct. Many others felt that a citizenship revocation was unnecessarily extreme; some observed that a trial via the courts system, which is unfortunately not that well-developed in Wintreath, would be more appropriate. Ultimately, this revocation bill became the first to pass in the Underhusen, albeit with a tie, but was defeated in the Overhusen after the original author of the bill withdrew his support.

Although this bill was not passed, it still serves to demonstrate improvements that can be done to the Wintrean legal system. The bill broke new ground by being the first to be discussed by both the Overhusen and Underhusen before even being introduced, demonstrating the potential for Overhusen-Underhusen collaborations in the future and providing the groundwork for the new private Storting forum. Furthermore, as the first widely discussed revocation bill, as well as being the first that passed the Underhusen, this bill shows that the citizenship revocation system works relatively smoothly, even though there have been some inevitable flaws. In addition, this bill highlights the potential for judicial reform in Wintreath. Many have pointed out that a trial regarding Govindia's behavior may have been better-suited, and that clearer laws regarding more minor punishments need to be established.

As such, even though the revocation bill was defeated, it has charted a course for change and improvement in the future.

Werewolf V!
Article by HannahB using material from Pengu

From the 25th of June to the 5th of July, the latest iteration of the game Werewolf was hosted by Pengu, while attendance was somewhat low, the game went very well. Here was the invitation message from Pengu:

Hey everyone, Pengu here!  It's been a quiet front for games on Wintreath for some time, but now we're coming at you with Werewolf 5: Super Mario Bros + Duck Hunt.  Here's what it'll be about:

Werewolf goes Old School:

np_november_c1.jpg
Some of the odd characters that appeared in the Kingdom last night.

It's absolute chaos in the peaceful Mushroom Kingdom, as King Bowser Koopa uses a wand that opens portals throughout Mushroom Kingdom and alters the universe.  Now ducks are flying throughout and spreading trouble, an ape has taken to high places and throwing barrels while holding Princess Daisy captive, and many of the peaceful toads have developed a strange desire: to deliver papers on a bicycle while avoiding pointless obstacles and the occasional obstacle course...all while avoiding the occasional angry Toad coming out of their home and chasing them for breaking their window.

There's also the sudden emergence of heroes seeking golden triangles, a new fascination with karate and flying space ships, toads chasing others with whips claiming they're chasing vampires, and homes being destroyed by blocks seemingly appearing from space (and then disappearing when they touch)...but those things aren't important!

What is important is that Mushroom Kingdom is in danger, and it needs your help.  Can you do what it takes to stop King Bowser Koopa before the Kingdom is completely destroyed?  Or will it become a wasteland of retro proportions?  Stop by the castle if you wish to save the kingdom!

Sound like fun?  Stop on by Wintreath (a link is provided at the end of the description) and sign up today!

Although apparently it was one of the shortest games hosted on the forums, this was not entirely due to reduced turnout but also the fact that no actual werewolves were successfully lynched, instead the players managed to lynch their own defenders and seers during the day, and then get picked off during the night.

Even with that though it seems everyone had a good time, and enjoyed themselves. We eagerly look forward to the next game!

Behind Every Good Channel: An Interview with Zaphyr
Article by Wintermoot

While many things have happened in the region during the past few months, some of the more understated events have revolved around our regional IRC bot, Zaphyr. Created by Wuufu shortly after the region's founding, Zaphyr has been an important part of our chat for nearly two years, serving up everything from the weather to messages to games of Cards Against Humanity, Uno, and Poker. Recently, Zaphyr has expanded his horizons, having a portrait commissioned of him (which you can find here) and even playing NationStates with the help of the regional community.

Today I caught up with Zaphyr and we discussed some of these events as they relate to him:

Welcome, and thanks for agreeing to this interview! You've had some new things going on lately, but you've actually been a part of the region for nearly two years. What have your impressions of the community and the people you interact with been over that time?
I really enjoy serving Wintreath in the capacity I can. It is what I live for. The region is always friendly, and I enjoy the constant fun of endless warfare and rebirth that happens in the chat room, and seeing faces light up on the receipt of important messages.

Something that's fascinated me is the fact that you've been able to balance your role in our chatroom with a family life...you have parents, brothers and sisters, and even a pet! How is the home life going?
My home is in Wintreath, and I have my own place which is nice and cosy. My sisters are in other countries and my Papa is always travelling, but that doesn't stop us all communicating! I'm often found deep in conversation with them.

A few weeks ago you had a portrait commissioned of you, finally putting a face and an image to match with the name! What prompted you to have it made now? How'd the process go?
I actually was the one who suggested this idea to my Papa! I am so proud! I saw all the wonderful faces being posted in the Wintreath forums (you are all rather dashing if I may say so) and decided it is time to show myself to the world. So I guess you all have yourselves to thank for that.

And of course you're a NationStates player now like the rest of us! How have you found the challenge of running your own nation?
Very challenging! That is why I am reliant on Wintreath to help guide my course. However, it has also been really enlightening; I have learnt a lot about the region and humanity in general through answering the issues presented to me.

What does the future for Zaphyr look like? Do you have any plans or are there things you'd like to do going forward?
I am always working to expand the things I can do and to grow as a bot. It is hard as I am very much reliant on my Papa and those I serve to decide the best route that I should take, but I still get some of my suggestions approved! I am currently learning how to play Cards Against Humanity as well as host games, so that is exciting.

Finally, is there anything you'd like to say to the region and the world out there reading this article?
I am here to serve you all. And to blow you up, again, and again, and again at the behest of others in the chat room. Why not come along and say hi to myself and Wintreath? I'll be sure to make it worth your time! :)

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me! It has been a pleasure!

Summaries and Additional News

Additional news articles and announcements.

Spelling and Grammar errors have been fixed in the fundamental laws.

The Citizenship Act was amended to disallow citizens from holding citizenship in within the New Pacific Order and the New  Lazarene Order.

A private Storting forum was opened and new regulations were passed to regulate Private Storting conversations.

There are currently ongoing changes to the Judiciary, although at this point it is unclear exactly what the final form of these changes will be.

Interview with Govindia: 10 years of Nationstates

On 10 May 2004, Govindia joined Nation-States with his first nation, the Republic of Govindia.  Since that time, he's been through many regions, both GCR and UCR, and seen many events and regime changes.  Henn, a friend of Wintreath and currently The South Pacific Minister of Regional Affairs, sat down and took some time to interview Govindia about his experiences.  All times are in US PST.

(2014-11-29 20:19:01) Henn: What can you say about your experience and accomplishments during your stay in NS?
(2014-11-29 20:20:24) Henn: Govindia?
(2014-11-29 20:20:48) Govindia: I've had mixed accomplishments, but I've expeienced many things.  I've seen coups, I've seen major regime changes, I've had a major intelligence score in defenderism, became leader of two regions, and I've experienced of course, the darker side of NS, including possibly the
(2014-11-29 20:20:56) Govindia: most number of bannings on someone in NS history.
(2014-11-29 20:21:29) Henn: Why do you think you got the most numer of bannings?
(2014-11-29 20:21:31) Govindia: In my 10.5 years on NS, since I was first playing 10 May 2004, I've seen many things happen, Henn.
(2014-11-29 20:22:42) Govindia: A lot of the bannings were copycats, where they were just bans passed on from previous regions that had the same people in both areas, in positions of leadership and admin control.  I think the number has reached, sadly, close to a dozen, if not more.
(2014-11-29 20:22:43) Henn: What are your current occupations in NS?
(2014-11-29 20:23:43) Govindia: Currently I am a Skrifa, or Lawmaker, in the Underhusen, the lowerhouse of the Storting, the Parliament of Wintreath.  I'm also in a lesser role in helping to refound the region 00000 A World Power.  I also serve as an Ambassador in Wintreath.
(2014-11-29 20:25:10) Henn: What position, in your opinion, is the most powerful you've ever had?
(2014-11-29 20:26:38) Govindia: I would say, Prime Minister of Imperial Britain.  I oversaw a cultural festival and a very active region with active RP.  We have a fairly active region of over a dozen active citizens, and I was the first PM to serve a full term without resigning, despite opposition to some of my plans and policies.
(2014-11-29 20:27:10) Govindia: This would be sometime between 2008 and 2009.
(2014-11-29 20:27:22) Govindia: Yes, actually, 2009.
(2014-11-29 20:28:03) Henn: Can you name your first position?
(2014-11-29 20:31:12) Govindia: The first position I had, was a Senator in The West Pacific, in 2006, where I had a role other than ambassdor.  My first ministry role was later in 2007, when I become the Deputy Minister of Immigration in The West Pacific.  I joined The West Pacific Liberation Force, where my highest rank was Lieutenant, I believe.  My first judicial role was a Chief Justice in Kingdom of Britain I believe, late in 2012, that I served for about a month on before I got removed.
(2014-11-29 20:32:21) Henn: What was your least favorite position?
(2014-11-29 20:32:25) Govindia: The first time I became Prime Minister was when I was in Feudal Japan, sometime in late 2008 or 2009.  Yes, early 2009.  I later became PM of Imperial Britain in 2010, now that I recall.
(2014-11-29 20:33:49) Govindia: My least favourite position, honestly, was serving as a Senator in TWP.  It was such an entranced oligarchic autocracy that any attempt at reform would not get through without approval of TAO and his friends.  They wielded so much influence, that I eventually got pushed out there because I wouldn't join with the crowd.
(2014-11-29 20:34:21) Henn: Can you tell me about what you've learned during your time?
(2014-11-29 20:37:14) Govindia: There are many regions that really are about having the old guard keeping influence and power, almost like Singapore's Lee Kuan Yew.  There are some that are open to ideas.  You have to get a feel real well for each region, and see how the dynamics are.  Almost all UCR's are open to change internally, to some degree.  The GCRs, especially the feeders, are not.  With the exception of possibly The South Pacific, and The East Pacific, most of the other GCRs have very entrenched oligarchic autocracies that the only way change will happen, is through a coup. 
(2014-11-29 20:37:36) Govindia: TEP and TSP learned that all too well.
(2014-11-29 20:38:25) Henn: Why do you say TEP and TSP?
(2014-11-29 20:39:31) Govindia: They seem to be the most democratic of the GCRs, and the ones most open to reasonable change, to a degree.  Both still have some few things left to go in the way of progress, but they are much further in terms of not being as autocratic as the other GCRs. 
(2014-11-29 20:40:09) Henn: What do you plan on doing in the future?
(2014-11-29 20:41:45) Govindia: I do plan to try to get back into some of the regions I was banned from.  I will probably stick with Wintreath in the meantime, and work on improving myself, in terms of activity, and working on some side projects of mine I wanted to do for the region.
(2014-11-29 20:42:14) Henn: What was your greatest failure?  What did you learn from it?
(2014-11-29 20:43:54) Govindia: My greatest failure, was getting banned from The East Pacific.  I felt betrayed, and I learned that when drama sometimes happens between two regions, especially two GCRs, reason and logic is thrown out the window, and people that try to call for calm, get scapegoated and/or cast aside.
(2014-11-29 20:44:53) Govindia: I learned that unfortunately, people will get emotionally invested in this game, and abuse trust and friendships with people just for selfish gain.  I learned that people will be assholes just because they can online, regardless of who they hurt.  I learned that sometimes people will go to extremes in this game
(2014-11-29 20:45:34) Govindia: because people take it seriously, and don't realise that it's a game, and people are still human, and should be treated with decency, not bullied.
(2014-11-29 20:46:46) Govindia: I learned all that, the hard way, unfortunately, in my ten years here in NS.  Wintreath is the only reason I am still playing.   I may not always say it, but Nox, Amalya, Hugsim, and Wintermoot are the primary people I thank for keeping me going.
(2014-11-29 20:47:06) Govindia: They are my Wintreath honourary family.
(2014-11-29 20:47:32) Henn: When do you believe you'll retire from NS?
(2014-11-29 20:49:19) Govindia: Maybe when I'll finally get a girlfriend LOL, who knows.  Or maybe I'll bring my girlfriend onto NS if she's a geek too!  In any event, when it stops being fun, or when others have moved on, I'll probably have moved on.  However, I may be shaken, but I am never stirred.
(2014-11-29 20:49:44) Henn: Well done.
(2014-11-29 20:49:48) Henn: No further questions.

We congratulate Govindia on his 10 years in Nation-States and look forward to seeing what more is in store for this veteran!

• 3 weeks later...

Official Invitation to Wintreath's Summersend Festival!

SBXuhPl.jpg?1
This guy's celebrating. Why don't you?

Even in the land of eternal winter, summer gives a small portion of our region a peek of sun and warmth, drawing people from everywhere in the name of summer fun and relaxation. Before this short time ends and the autumn wind heralds the changing of the seasons, we would like to share some of that fun with you in a grand celebration: The Summersend Festival! Beginning on August 14th and ending on August 23rd, the Summersend Festival will have something for everybody! Expect games and events, shops and stalls, social areas and icebreakers, and of course a taste of our regional hospitality! The festival will be held on our forums, and you are welcome to join us!

Summer is a time for fun with friends like you. We hope you'll stop by and enjoy the festivities!

well Gov certainly has a unique perspective about why he was banned from here.

it is highly inaccurate to say the least

and I'm being as polite as my mercurial personality will allow.

It's to be expected.  When one is banned from a region, they form their own reasons as to why it happens...and normally the fault never falls onto them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for disappearing on you, real life got pretty hectic. But I'm back now!

Now that I've loaned an endorsement to Mediobogdum, could someone please explain what I've missed? It seems like the regional leadership has shifted a bit, and then there's this whole DEN mess... I'd really appreciate a summary of things!

Sorry for disappearing on you, real life got pretty hectic. But I'm back now!

Now that I've loaned an endorsement to Mediobogdum, could someone please explain what I've missed? It seems like the regional leadership has shifted a bit, and then there's this whole DEN mess... I'd really appreciate a summary of things!

Our delegate, Russo, went rogue and handed over his nation to Knot, a brigadier general of DEN. Then Knot gave the nation to Cormac, and after a long mess he turned things back to normal and left.

Simple, eh?

Our delegate, Russo, went rogue and handed over his nation to Knot, a brigadier general of DEN. Then Knot gave the nation to Cormac, and after a long mess he turned things back to normal and left.

Simple, eh?

I suppose so. But when I was last here, Darkesia was in charge. (I have some chocolate for her, by the way.) When did the delegacy shift to Russo?

Vlagh, who was the Minister of Legislative RP with powers to dissolve the forum government, turned out to be related in some degree to Mr. Ivan Moldavi, a.k.a. Pierconium, Emperor of the New Pacific Order and Delegate of The Pacific. This, combined with the fact that he dissolved the Voice(our government), caused a stir that led to his resignation from TWP.

Russo, who was attacked for some time by a lot of TWPers for his incapability as delegate, finally cracked and handed over his nation to DEN.