• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On behalf of the GRA, thankyou for the embassy! :shooters::wine::drunk:

gra5.png

8OSVvr4.jpg

[big]Global Rights Alliance News[/big]
March Update

Hello to all our diplomatic friends from the GRA!

Yes, once again the Phoenix has arisen from the ashes, and for better or worse, the Global Right Alliance is back.

[big]Activity Returns[/big]

2414002070_b1d9036cd6.jpg

A perhaps slightly exaggerated view of the crowds on the GRA forum and IRC

Over the years, the GRA has risen and fallen with the tides, and once again it's back! From the previous peak of well over 400 nations in 2010, the region saw a steady decline. However, a few dedicated members kept things going, keeping both the forum and the region alive. Then, suddenly, several veterans returned, visitors began arriving, and activity on the forums has exploded! Be sure to come by and say hello.

[big]Veterans Come Back, New Players Arrive[/big]

060522_katrina_animals_hmed7p.grid-6x2.j

Joe Bobs is welcomed back to the region

This month has seen the return of Jonewest (boo!) and Joe Bobs (yay!) from retirement, as well as fighter4u, and we are pleased to welcome the new nations Danemarken, Yorke Peninsula, Doognia, OrangeFoundation, Peep Culture, Aviditas, Aliance Ceskych obcanu, The Sovereign United States of America, and Brodell. Recruitment is strongly underway and we anticipate the regional population, and activity, to continue to rise.

[big]A New Government[/big]

image002.jpg

The new government assembles

The region is currently still debating what form its new government will take, with Sovereign Liberties proposing a party-based system in which the majority party has the power to decide on government form, positions and laws, and rather than elections, the largest party automatically holds power (so one can 'vote' by joining a party). The region is now working out how to codify this into a constitution. Currently, a transitional government has been formed whilst the new constitution is decided, as follows:

Speaker of the Peoples Assembly: Old Zertaxia
Internal Affairs Minister: Sovereign Liberties
Foreign Affairs Minister: Joe Bobs
GRADF General: Jonewest

Currently, final executive authority is shared between these positions.

[big]Opening of New Embassies[/big]

UN-headquarters-New-York-010.jpg

The newly opened Embassy Row

We are proud to announce reopening of embassies with The Pacific, The North Pacific, The East Pacific, Lazarus, The Rejected Realms, 10,000 Islands, Europeia, Yggdrasil, and United Kingdom as well as new embasses with Balder, Spiritus and Texas (scheduled to open 15th March). There are a number of embassy applications currently waiting to be confirmed. Unfortunately, Albion has rejected our embassy request on the grounds they don't open embassies with FRA members. Joe Bobs politely commented that diplomatic relations with non-allies, and even unfriendly regions, often make for the most interesting embassies. Old Zertaxia less politely commented "f**k Albion in its stupid ugly b*tch face".

[big]GRADF / GRABR? Missions[/big]

6Weon8e.jpg

Old Zertaxia sporting his new medals

The GRADF, under new leadership from Jonewest, is currently in boot camp, but its members continue to take part in FRA missions, currently the defense of Slavia. Meanwhile, they debate possibly changing the name, one suggestion being GRABR (GRA Bast*rd Rangers - Grabbers!).

Written by Joe Bobs, thanks to Old Z and Jonewest for contributions

I like this concept.

Thanks Westwind. We're now taking the constitution proposal to the floor to vote.

The system is also going to have the Speaker of the People's Assembly as head of all three branches of government (one point I'm personally against, but we'll see how it goes!) and we're also thinking that instead of having a scheduled election for the Speaker, anyone can hold a vote of no confidence and so long as a quorum is reached, the Speaker will be removed.

Credit for the idea goes to Sovereign Liberties. The whole idea of the system is to make it politically volatile and full of intrigue and plotting. :D

We'll see! My only fear is that since the GRA is so arguey anyway, I hope it doesn't go too far! Passion creates activity but flaming tends to make people leave - hopefully we'll hit the right balance!

We're now up to 70 nations, which means our population has doubled in a month! :D

• 2 weeks later...
[align=center] gra5.png

8OSVvr4.jpg

Global Rights Alliance News
Second March Update[/align]

Hello from the GRA!

The GRA was founded in 2005 and refounded in 2007, with our population peak in 2010 at over 500 nations. We are a founding member of the FRA. We are known for our political innovation, including the infamous 'rotatorship' (rotating dictatorship), and also for our "unique" character. In the GRA dictionary entry for 'politeness', it simply says 'who the f*ck are you, signed, Uropa'. We're so badass, we don't even click 'safely eject hardware', we tear that bad boy right out.

In the immortal words of Jonewest, 'f*ck common courtesy, this is the GRA.'

GRAvasion: GRA Overseas Junkets

Hoping I've grabbed your attention by swearing twice in the header, but knowing attention on the internet is a precious commodity I will likely lose in a few short paragraphs, I thought best to put this at the top!

The GRA would like to propose what we are calling 'GRA junkets' to our friends' regions. This would involve what the FRA are unkindly calling a 'GRAvasion', or what may be more favourably called a 'visit' to your region, during which as many members of the GRA as I can round up would pop over, get involved in whatever chats are open to foreign visitors, helping with activity and perhaps providing a helpful outsider's view on issues of the day. Equally, we would appreciate a return of the favour. We think it's a nice way to spread activity and meet new people.

75516d1327768328-kuva-haussa-2445275634_

The kind of rocking parties you can expect when the GRA come to visit.

If you're interested, please let me know. I warn you, I will not be held responsible for Uropa's actions!

GRA and Aura Hyperia lead the way in crossing the divide

8EVRy7N.png

This month, the GRA and Aura Hyperia began diplomatic relations with the exchange of embassies, crossing the invader/defender barrier. Aura Hyperia would be described as imperialist, but hold themselves to a moral code of no griefing, and no permanent banjecting. Both agreed that it was a shame that elsewhere in the NS world, the invader/defender barrier has become so large that we cannot talk across the gap, as evidenced by the embassy refusals and restrictive maskings that have become increasingly common around our game. Joe Bobs commented, 'Some of the most fun embassies I've taken part in have been defender embassies in raider regions, and vice versa. Several years ago, the GRA had an embassy with LWU, and the baiting that took place made it one of our most active embassies.'

This story has taken on an unexpected development however, as Aura Hyperia have proposed joint activities between the two region's militaries in a war focused against The Black Riders. High General Jonewest and Foreign Affairs Minister Joe Bobs have taken this proposal to the People's Assembly for debate. If this action is taken, it would, to this reporter's knowledge, be the first time a joint Defender-Imperialist Army had launched war against a Raider, with exercises likely to involve all aspects of warfare, including detagging, defending and liberation.

The issue has become the subject of a fierce debate in the GRA, with Jonewest and Joe Bobs leading the Pro argument, alongside Mara Sargon and Frostmark from Aura Hyperia, and Sovereign Liberties with some support from FRA members leading the Con argument. Old Zertaxia was eventually persuaded by the Pro-side.

At the time of going to press, the latest development is the proposal of creating a new wing of the GRA military, the GRA Invader Nut Smashers (GRAINS). This allows the GRADF to retain it's purist defender ideology, whilst the GRAINS try other tactics.

1stgD8u.png

Population Explosion

In under 6 weeks, the GRA's population has exploded from a measly 35 to a whopping 81 nations! Joe Bobs has pledged that the GRA will overtake 10,000 Islands as the largest UCR within the next two weeks.

(Ed note: It is not clear if penguins understand numbers. It is even more unlikely that drunk penguins understand numbers.)

Sadly, this month saw Love and Honour, Jivdom and Lower Bowmania's nations CTE, three of the greats of the GRA. We hope they come back to the GRA some day.

New Constitution

The People's Assembly have agreed on a new constitution, authored by Sovereign Liberties. Full text as follows:

The People's Declaration of Assembling

Article One
People's Assembly

1.1 The People's Assembly is the supreme governing body of the region, the Global Right Alliance. The People's Assembly is composed of the enfranchised residents of the region, the citizenry. Residents gain enfranchisement with the approval of the Government.

1.2 The enactment of legislation requires proposal in the People's Assembly, deliberation for a minimum of forty-eight hours, and in an open vote lasting forty-eight hours, a simple majority for statutes and a three-fourths majority for amendments to this declaration.

1.3 The People's Assembly may dismiss the Government with a motion of no confidence, which is an open vote lasting forty-eight hours. Only one motion of no confidence may be proposed every seven days. The motion passes with a simple majority.

1.4 Whereupon a motion of no confidence is passed by the People's Assembly, the Speaker and the Government is dismissed and a new election for Speaker is held. Nominations begin immediately and end in forty-eight hours. Elections begin after nominations end and last for forty-eight hours. The candidate who commands a majority is elected Speaker. Elections repeat until a Speaker is elected.

1.5 Positive abstentions do not factor into the calculation of any required majorities.

Article Two
Government

2.1 The Speaker is the President of the People's Assembly and first among equals of the citizenry. The Speaker is responsible for the passage of laws and for the governance of the region.

2.2 The Speaker may appoint and dismiss offices and officers to the Government of the region. The governance of the region includes the following:

2.2.1 the administration of foreign affairs, including the composition and distribution of foreign updates of the Government, and the representation of the region abroad;
2.2.2 the protection of the region in cooperation with the founder nation and the forum of the region in cooperation with the forum administration;
2.2.3 the administration of military affairs and intelligence;
2.2.4 the recruitment of nations to the region;
2.2.5 the integration of nations into the region and citizens into the Government;
2.2.6 the approval of citizenship;
2.2.7 the recording of the affairs of the region, including the maintenance of a record of the citizenry;
2.2.8 and the moderation and facilitation of nongovernmental activity and the promotion, management, and supervision of nongovernmental regional events.

2.3 In the event of the resignation of the Speaker, the aforementioned election procedure begins immediately.[/align]

Other laws being discussed at the time of going to press are a Bill of Rights, the Separation of Militaries Act, the In-Game Embassies Act, and a selection of so called 'Practical Laws'.

Expansion of Embassies

Joe Bobs has been mercilessly spamming the NS world in a ruthless bid of regional self-promotion, as you are no doubt aware, or else you wouldn't be reading this! He has released the following statement:

Whilst I know some may see my Foreign Affairs program as excessive, it is based on solid principles. Firstly, I enjoy it. I have always enjoyed spreading across the NS world, engaging with new communities and meeting new people. I wish to share this with my fellow GRAers, and I also wish to share the GRA with others. Secondly, I believe the GRA has always seen some of its best activity through foreign visitors, so I see this, along with recruitment, as one of the essential ways to build forum activity. I also hope that our embassies bring activity to our friends. Thirdly, I'm a strong believer in NS internationalism, I think the game is at its best when we have multi-regional engagement, across the divides of feederite and userite, defender and raider, independent and imperialist, role-play and game-play. I want the GRA to be a nexus whereby all these different groups can meet, and I hope our overseas readers will come and visit to share in this.

To this end, we are proud to announce new embassies with the following: Aura Hyperia, British Isles, Capitalist Paradise, Gatesville Inc, Independent Order, Mordor, NeoConfederate States of America, The New Galactic Empire, New Warsaw Pact, Osiris, Renegade Islands Alliance and Wintreath.

And we are pleased to announce the reopening of embassies with: Belgium-Netherlands, Canada, Caprecia & Nysa, Equilism, Gay, Region Inc and The West Pacific.

Jonewest commented: 'Joe Bobs has been overworking the hardly working administration staff to setup a huge array of embassies on the GRA Forums. While they may be held together by glue and bondage, for the most part the embassies look good!'

(Ed note: Image removed after Google search of 'glue and bondage' was found to violate most forums' Terms of Service...)

Jonewest Vs. Sovereign Liberties

AKAiHEO.gif

This month saw a return to the classical language of the GRA: flame wars lasting multiple days over an arbitrary point no one can remember. Our best investigative journalists have found that the war may have begun with Sovereign Liberties' criticism of Jonewest's dismissive tone when asked to perform his Admin duties, but no one is quite certain. Both accused the other of being 'non-contributors', which has now, like so many slurs before, become a term of affection and fraternity in the GRA.

Jonewest commented as follows: 'Tensions rose, fell, and sandwiches were made for me afterwards. All has been reasoned and resolved, with a new word being added to the GRA Official Dictionary!' (Ed note: The word was 'no', which Jonewest has redefined not as a refusal, but a tool of Admins to put people in their place.) Jonewest has been a vocal opponent of the 'say no to drugs' campaign in the past, but is now launching his own 'say no to admin requests'.

Uropa held a poll into who was likely to win, in which, surprisingly, the winner was 'I'm a fwuffy penguin and want everyone to be friends Joe Bobs', 3 votes to 2 to 2.

Sovereign Liberties could not be reached for a comment, because he has chickenpox. :( We hope he gets well soon and has a bath in calamine.

323386-cpox.jpg

Old Zertaxia is particularly frightened, as he can remember smallpox.

(Ed note: Sovereign Liberties is now well, but I enjoy the above picture too much to take it out. :D )

GRADF

The GRADF continues to operate as part of the FRA Rangers, whilst Jonewest modernises the institution. He has stated 'We are currently moving the GRADF into the modern age of strategy and tactics. With this lengthy procedure of moving data and resources from Windows 95 to Windows Millennium Edition computers it has been decided that the following honorary titles be bestowed on the following: Old Zertaxia - GRADF Whore, Northern Chittowa - GRA Watchdog, Uropa - Chief of the Military Police.

Old Zertaxia has responded: 'Even though the word "High" in High General Jonewest's title is clearly not in reference to an extremely elevated place, and rather a reference to his intoxicated state (for all you dumdums out there, Jonewest is f*cking high as balls whenever he attempt to do things, especially Admin things, especially create forums and not f*ck them up), I graciously and grandly accept the honor of GRABR Whore. Thank you.' He also added that he hates everyone.

New Formal Address for Admin Requests

After multiple attempts to make admins do things by throwing rocks at them, Joe Bobs has tried a different tactic, making the following plea in the Admin Request Thread:

Oh mighty admins, oh ye powerful gods of Olympus, won't thy spare me a moment of thine great and powerful minds that unravel the mists of time, of thine mighty and strong arms that crack apart the world and the sky, of thine watchful and all-seeing eyes that look beyond the reaches of the universe! I bid thee here my plea, I pray thee grant my wish, and thou will have an obedient and loyal servant who will bring more followers to they cause, and together all the world shall tremble and quake, and fear thee and they shall know, thine names are Old Zertaxia and Jonewest!

Finally, the GRA maintains its eternal war against Falconias.

In the words of Uropa, beace.

Written by Joe Bobs. With thanks for contributions from Jonewest and Old Zertaxia.

crossing the invader/defender barrier.

It's easier to do than some think. 

Strength in diversity of forum software!

Time was, you only needed to know DOS.  The DOS and Windows.  (And Mac.....and Unix)   Then Windows 3.0, 3.1, 3.11, NT, 95, 98, 2000, ME, XP.......Sun Unix, ATT Unix, Linux, etc etc........and on it goes.  Software diversifies like life does, evolving to fit into a niche of need, while survival of the fittests leaves things like WebOS as dead ends in software evolution.  Some for forum software.

It's easier to do than some think. 

Time was, you only needed to know DOS.  The DOS and Windows.  (And Mac.....and Unix)   Then Windows 3.0, 3.1, 3.11, NT, 95, 98, 2000, ME, XP.......Sun Unix, ATT Unix, Linux, etc etc........and on it goes.  Software diversifies like life does, evolving to fit into a niche of need, while survival of the fittests leaves things like WebOS as dead ends in software evolution.  Some for forum software.

Yes, as I've said elsewhere, it's a shame there isn't more communication across the divides in NS. Interaction is the basis of the game in many ways. I hope we see more inter-regional activities, conventions, etc.

And tell me about it! I'm a Database Manager, drives me mad!

I've managed databases, and I don't think I could ever be a Database Manager.

Meh, it's not that bad. Fiddling around in SQL mostly. I use Cognos a lot too. I like SQL, it makes sense. But it scares the crap out of me too, if I'm making big changes I re-read my script about 10 times to make sure all my 'where' clauses are in!

There are people reading this thinking this is the nerdiest discussion ever. :P

ed: Forgot to ask, will TWP be sending a representative over to the GRA too?