The TWP Astronomy Thread

Bhang Bhang Duc

I know nothing of this source, but I ran into it so this is my contribution for today:

Is This The Greatest Discovery in Astronomy?

http://www.davidreneke.com/is-this-the-greatest-discovery-in-astronomy/#

Scientists Roger Penrose, who works at Oxford and Vahe Gurzadyan, who works in Armenia have stated that they have discovered configurations of concentric loops in the cosmic background, which are echoes of what happened before the Big Bang.

• 2 weeks later...

Hahahaha... That was meant as a joke...

Now, formally speaking, both the Dark Matter / Dark Energy theory as the Super String theory are quite good to explain things that are otherwise unexplained with our classic approaches. However, they are both "constructs" if you may. They are too... artificial. One thing is to come up and describe phenomenons in new imaginative ways and from there extract new ideas, theories and what not, and another one to sit in front of the paper and "deduct" a mathematical application of numeric and algebraic tools to simulate the universe. String and Super String theory have that feeling: "Ok guys, this I can't explain it with 7 dimensions, do you guys mind if I go up to 11 to make it work? - Yeah, sure, knock yourself out"

And then comes the usual unanswered question to all Super String Theorists: and what are these dimensions? What they represent? How are they visualized? And the house of cards comes down as they are little else than mathematical expressions of the algebraic need of a system to behave as desired. Of course it is amazing how Super String theory has allowed for unified explanations of some of the end of the scale phenomenons, but it was BUILT to be able to do it. I am NOT saying that it is not right, but it is somehow... artificial... constructed... while nature and the time-space continuum are not constructs, they are the reality upon which we move and try to study and describe...

Needless to say, it is quite convenient that the same construction of the theory prevent experimental proof of it, as it lacks dimensions...

And a similar concept goes for Dark Matter / Dark Energy: "My math and my classic model do not allow for the numbers I am crunching on the Universe, hence I am going to create a Big Black Box, give it all the characteristics that I need to make sure my numbers add up, and then call it WILSON!... No wait, that was used already? Damn... Then I'll call it DARK MATTER!"

At least, tho, the studying of possible options or explanations of WHAT is Dark Matter, if it exists at all, are more tangible and experimental than String related stuff. I DO recognize and can accept that our current gravitational theory doesn't holds galaxies together and hence, instead of coming up with a black-box solution to make it work, I think we should question the gravitational theory directly... We should perhaps invest more in graviton related grants than weapon ones... But hey, knowledge comes way lower in priority than commercial success...

I do think and feel studying them both can lead us to breakthrough discoveries to better understand and describe our Universe, but from this point of view, you can't avoid feeling a little bit disappointed in them both... Somehow.

"Important Announcement, March 17th"

Scientists to Unveil 'Major Discovery' at Astrophysics Center Monday

http://www.space.com/25066-major-astrophysics-discovery-announcement-monday.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:%20spaceheadlines%20(SPACE.com%20Headline%20Feed)

Rumor: inflation-related primordial B-modes to be announced on Monday

http://motls.blogspot.com/2014/03/rumor-inflation-related-primordial-b.html

Scientists may have detected the gravitational echoes of the big bang

http://www.geek.com/science/scientists-may-have-detected-the-gravitational-echoes-of-the-big-bang-1588046/

"The physics community is abuzz with talk that BICEP has found evidence of the long hypothesized gravitational waves from the big bang. This echo of the event (in the form of microwaveradiation) is predicted by general relativity, but has remained untested all this time. If these waves have indeed been detected, it could give cosmologists a way to study the first moments of the universe after the big bang."

On a slightly lighter note.  We all know that Sir Isaac Newton made the first practical reflecting telescope and developed a theory of colour based on the observation that a prism decomposes white light into the many colours of the visible spectrum. His book Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica ("Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy"), first published in 1687, laid the foundations for most of classical mechanics. Newton also shares credit with Gottfried Leibniz for the invention of the infinitesimal calculus.

He also, allegedly, invented the cat flap.

Hahahaha... That was meant as a joke...

Now, formally speaking, both the Dark Matter / Dark Energy theory as the Super String theory are quite good to explain things that are otherwise unexplained with our classic approaches. However, they are both "constructs" if you may. They are too... artificial.

I read a quote recently that with inflation, dark matter and dark energy we have three "dei ex machina", which is probably two "dei ex machina" too many.

You could sum it up like that, indeed. There is so much... "made up" concepts... that you can allow to validate a theory, it would perhaps be better to sum them all into a black box, call it the "dark side" of the theory and admit that you have no clue what happens there....

• 2 weeks later...

My links of the day....

New dwarf planet hints at giant world far beyond Pluto

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn25301-new-dwarf-planet-hints-at-giant-world-far-beyond-pluto.html

A surprise monster may be lurking in our solar system. A newly discovered dwarf planet has grabbed the crown as the most distant known object in our solar system – and its orbit hints at a giant, unseen rocky world, 10 times the mass of Earth and orbiting far beyond Pluto.

The dwarf planet, for now dubbed 2012 VP113 because it was spotted in images taken in November 2012 – is an interesting discovery in itself.

-----------------------

First Asteroid Found Sporting a Ring System

http://news.discovery.com/space/asteroids-meteors-meteorites/first-asteroid-discovered-sporting-a-ring-system-140326.htm#mkcpgn=rssnws1

When you think of a celestial ring system, the beautiful ringed planet Saturn will likely jump to mind. But for the first time astronomers have discovered that ring systems aren’t exclusive to planetary bodies — asteroids can have them too.