Hello World || Let’s Talk Animals

Lady Madeline

On 9/30/2019 at 10:00 AM, Lady Madeline said:

I was curious to see what animal you identify best with and why

I have cross-stitch art and Salish style painting of Orca in my home. The Salish say that when a Tribal Chief dies, he is reborn as an Orca. In the 90's I had a friend that went on a Vision Quest, and afterwards had a Salish Beaver totem pole in his front yard, as that was what he found was his totem on his Quest.

Although, when I was young, I was fond of Owls.

"The Owls are not what they seem." - Twin Peaks

However, there are two Cats, one Bird, and an aquarium full of Fish living in my home. I've always enjoyed cats since my first cat Mia when I was a toddler. My cats today are getting old like me, one is an arthritic 15, the other will be a chubby 12 next month.

While there weren't always cats around in my life, there were always birds.First there were the Budgies in the '60's, then in the early 70's I bred Sacred White Doves. The Blackfeet sent Sacred White Dove feathers with their Warriors, as they represented protection and a safe return from battle. These are also the white doves magicians like to use in their acts.  The male doves coo, while the female doves laugh at them. Then In the '80's, I bred and raised other birds, and I was the founder and first editor of the Kansas Avicultural Society Magazine. Today I have a 5 year old female Pineapple Conure that may well outlive me, as their lifespan is roughly 35 years. 

As for the fish, my maternal Grandfather came to visit when I was in the 4th grade and he took me fishing in the Paha Sapa (Black Hills). To commemorate our trip, he bought an aquarium for me when he left. And I've had an aquarium ever since. Sometimes fresh water fish, sometimes salt water fish. There are roughly 40 fish in my tank today.