Sign in to follow this  
Denieria

[DEFEATED] Ban on Force Sterilization

Vote for your stance here!  

3 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Are you in favor of this proposal?

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/16/19 at 04:00 AM

Hey guys, we have a new proposal in the General Assembly. My recommendation for this proposal is AGAINST because this proposal has made usage of a rather broad operative clause that has potential to cause harm to individuals, especially minors. Now, while I do understand the good intention of this proposal and that it is giving some much needed regulation on the issue, I find that the clause 2.1 creates a rather large loophole that allows any minor and any person ,who is possibly not able to make a decision on their own at the moment the decision is being made, to be able to undergo forced sterilization as a punishment simply by the consent of their parents or guardians, which rather defeats the purpose of this prohibition proposal. If we are going to ban forced sterilization, we are going to have make sure that it is an umbrella ban unless the procedure is consented to by the individual themselves and no one else. As always, feel free to debate and voice your opinions down below!

General Assembly Resolution At Vote

Ban On Forced Sterilisation

A resolution to improve worldwide human and civil rights.

Category: Civil Rights

Strength: Mild

Proposed by: marxist_germany__963650t2.jpgMarxist Germany

The World Assembly,

Lauding the previous efforts of this assembly to protect civil rights,

Recognising that forced sterilisation can have detrimental effects on the individual, including depression and long term psychological effects,

Noting that sterilisation against an individual's will continues to be used as a method of reducing the population of minorities in some member-states and as a punishment for sexual offenders,

Acknowledging that each individual should have the right to choose to reproduce or not as long as it does not violate another individual's right to choose,

Seeking to ban this method that has been, in the past, used to get rid of people that society has considered to be unwanted members, whether they were sexual or ethnic minorities or people with specific disabilities,

Hereby,

1. Defines, for the purposes of this resolution, "sterilisation" as the permanent elimination of an individual's ability to reproduce through the removal or alteration of their reproductive organs or the physiological processes that enable reproduction, through chemical or physical means;

2. Prohibits:

1. The sterilisation of any individual without their informed consent, unless a parent or guardian is legally able to and does consent on their behalf;

2. The extradition of any criminal to places where they may be subject to forced sterilisation as a form of punishment;

3. Requires that member states:

1. Carry out thorough investigations into all sterilisation services within their borders, to ensure no illegal sterilisation is taking place;

2. Reasonably punish people who carry out illegal sterilisation;

4. Urges member states to provide reparations for victims of forced sterilisation.

This is a very contentious resolution - more individual nations have voted for than against, but delegate votes have tended to fall more on the "against" side. Personally I voted FOR this resolution, though I think the concerns about clause 2 may be legitimate. That said, I still feel this resolution is more good than bad, and unlikely to actually result in much abuse.