Fujai

[PROPOSAL] Fixed Elections Act

This is pretty short and simple, just to standardize election dates so no one is left wondering.

Each election cycle in The West Pacific will occur in two rounds, four times per year. These elections shall take place in February, May, August, and November on these dates of each of those months:

• Round 1 Nomination Period: 1-3
  • Round 1 Voting Period: 4-6
  • Round 2 Nomination Period: 7-9
  • Round 2 Voting Period: 10-13

My only concern is that with standardized dates, they may fall awkwardly on weekends or holidays, or when the Speaker is unavoidably detained, though in that specific case there is the Deputy Speaker, yes?

If elections are already sufficiently standardized and I didn't notice, then perhaps this is unnecessary.

I honestly am not sure what is the current way this is being handled. It could be stuff like "First monday of February". So it should be checked first? I mean, I should, lol...

I think that notating it at the first monday (or whatever) might eliminate some of the awkwardness potential.  I would also like to discuss the possibility of have a buffer between nominations and voting.  I feel like the transition to voting from nominations takes place too quickly and there isn't time for any campaigning or discussion.

Just as a point of information, I have been making sure that the cycles start 90 days apart to be in compliance with the Manners.

I have no objection to altering this a bit, as is suggested, but we would have to either make sure the dates allow for the correct term lengths or that we change the Manners.

Changing the manners to measuring the terms in natural months would allow it. From "90 days" to "3 natural months" would basically mean a date to date 3 month period (this is, from 15th of month X to 14th of month X+3). That would, tho, create some longer terms and some shorter terms, but I think it is a negligible difference imo