[TWP Residents] RMB Tolerance

Westwind

Since I can't comment in the Hall of Nations, I'll comment here....

You attract specific types of activity by manifesting it first.

Activity creates more Activity.  

6 hours ago, Darkesia said:

If the goal is to make the RMB more welcoming to new nations, then spend time on the RMB being welcoming to new nations

Yes. Spend your time where the new players are it.  In game, not offsite. 

I notice many important players are not active ingame. They rarely post on the RMB. It seems to me there is more interest in Discord than NS itself. It doesn't matter if my perception is true or not, but if it's true for a 15 year player like me, what do you think confused new players ingame think?

Inviting new players to Discord and Forums is good, but don't ignore NS itself. That's the primary reason we are all here. Have your general conversations on the RMB, it'll keep it active and encourage new players to participate. THEN they'll be ready for offsite venues.

When I was a new player, it wasn't the forums or chatrooms that engaged me to participate, it was the telegrams I received ingame, and the commentary on the RMB.

6 hours ago, Darkesia said:

That means you have to stop talking about it and just start doing it. 

Talking and planning is great, but accomplishes nothing without action.

Action is the only means to Progress.

5 hours ago, Big Bad Badger said:

I completely agree with Dark on this.  I feel that we will be much more successful being an active, friendly RMB.

Again, folks need to pay attention to the region itself ingame. The game is not Discord, it's NationStates.

Engage with the Game itself. Frequently.

This was the point of the Crimson Order eleven years ago, to bring activity back to an inactive game environment.

5 hours ago, Big Bad Badger said:

But manner in which I went about this change I regret.

Yes, it was very distressing to pop in and see that. I've never seen a proper explanation, and every time I've asked, I've been ignored.

I notice the silences. They are loud and concerning.

5 hours ago, Saint Mark said:

I want to hear everyone's opinions on this.

How but including us non-citizen residents and moving the discussion out of the Hall?

I thought the RMB discussion was really good, and I don't know if it's just me, or if it seems like our RMB is doing a bit better the last couple days. I think talking about this has made me personally more aware of how I interact with it and with the other people on it. Westwind's also definitely right in that it's important to include everyone in these sort of discussions, and it was nice that using the RMB allowed people even from different regions to weigh in. (I didn't mean to be exclusive when I started a topic in the Hall, my bad.)

I don't feel, though, that just talking about it has really resolved the issue. I don't want to monopolize the conversation, or drag this on if people feel it's not worth their time, but I do want this dialogue to move forward and arrive somewhere. Just talking about it and saying "yeah we should do something" might make us individually a bit more mindful for a little bit, but that wears off awfully quickly.

As Dali has said, legislation isn't the answer. We don't need more rules. But I think what's attractive about that is that if we voted on something, the symbolism of a collective agreement would make it more meaningful. So here's another idea from me before I just let this drop.

What if we drafted a statement--not strict guidelines, not rules--just a declaration of the kind of behavior we'd like to see on our RMB. We'd talk about where we've come from as a region, what it is that makes TWP unique, and talk about the RMB culture that that's created and that we'd like it to create. We can put our values--order, respect, merit, snark, second chances--and say something about who we'd like to be.

Then, to make it truly true-to-TWP love of game-side authority, as well as making it more inclusive and representative, we can put it in a dispatch, have a poll on the WFE, and have people sign it through the poll like you might a petition. The names of all the signatories can be added to the dispatch.

This was just one idea I thought of while brainstorming last night. Thoughts?

I like the idea of a statement of principle, but I'm not sure that having TWPers sign on to it would really add anything.

I'm not against that, though. Let's hear what others have to say.

Even if we don't do this, @Reçueçn, I applaud you for raising this issue. I do agree that even just having the discussion has improved how we interact with new players on our RMB. It will be even better when we launch the Gameside Advocate program ... probably right after Easter.

Hmmm...... There's a form of ingame participation that has not been tried to my knowledge...."Sign This Pinned Dispatch Petition by clicking the Up arrrow"

It's a small action, but people want something to do.

Or pin two dispatches...competing proposals......"The dispatch that gets the most upvotes by Karaoke Friday will become regional policy"

Just keep engaging with the  players wherever you can.