Saint Mark

A New Theme for The West Pacific

Greetings to The Hall of Nations!
I am very proud that The West Pacific is the best region in NationStates. We are fun, active, intelligent and well-mannered. Over the years, our predecessors have created a unique culture and a vibrant community. The changes that I present to you today are the product of the hard work and imagination of your Guardians and Ministers. They will be instituted to add texture, spur activity and allow for more frequent recognition of our residents’ contributions. TWP’s core principles of Delegate Supremacy and Meritocracy will not only be preserved but strengthened.

First, The West Pacific will be adopting a new theme! The options are Imperial Russia, Japan during the Shogunate or Imperial China. These were chosen because of their locations in the western Pacific and because they all had pirates at one time or another. A different Minister has chosen to champion a different theme and their presentations will be posted here. Following discussion, you will be able to vote for your favorite! The ministers’ presentations are meant to give you an idea of what could be done once the theme is adopted, but not everything presented may be implemented. Also, keep in mind that these are only themes. We will not become copies of these nations during those time periods. We will remain The West Pacific. 
Next, once the new theme is chosen, I will institute a change in The Manners that will allow us to use the theme to more frequently reward you for your contributions to our region. The Manners changes are presented here.

Spoiler

A section after the section on The Hall of Nations will be added as follows:

Hall of Peers

1.   The members of The Hall of Peers shall be only those citizens of The West Pacific that are deemed by The Delegate to hold an active title of peerage.

2.    The granting and withdrawing of peerage is the sole prerogative of the Delegate. 

3.   The Delegate is always considered the peer of first precedence, but does not vote in or lead this Hall.

4.   The Chancellor of The Hall of Peers is appointed by The Delegate, serves at the Delegate’s pleasure and leads the actions of this Hall. The Chancellor also votes with the other peers.

5.    Decisions of The Hall of Peers are determined by a simple majority vote of all peers. Those peers who have not voted by the close of the voting period are considered to have abstained. Abstentions do not affect the outcome of the vote.

6.    Time periods for all business of this Hall, such as hearings, trials and voting, are determined on a case-by-case basis by the Chancellor.

7.    The Hall of Peers shall serve two roles. It will be the standing jury of The West Pacific, as outlined in the Judicial section of The Manners, and will act as an advisory body to The Delegate on Gameplay matters.

The Judicial section of The Manners of Governance of the West Pacific will be rewritten as follows:

Judicial

1.    The Hall of Peers shall function as the standing jury of The West Pacific.

2.   The Delegate or their appointee is the sole gameside judge of The West Pacific. In this role, they may accept or set aside the verdict of The Hall of Peers. Only the Delegate may deliver a sentence.

3.   The Hall of Peers may develop their own procedural rules, as long as they do not conflict with The Manners and are assented to by The Delegate.

4.   The Delegate and the Guardians may ban, eject and banject nations from The West Pacific for breaking on-site rules, for uncivilized behaviour in the region, for attempting to forcibly change or undermine the Delegacy, or for any other violation to The West Pacific way of life. The Code of Conduct of The West Pacific shall serve as a useful guide to the accepted behavior of members of The West Pacific; however, the Delegate and the Guardians discretion are not limited by this document.

5.   If a citizen is banned, ejected or banjected they may appeal to The Hall of Peers through a written request to The Delegate. If The Delegate so chooses, they may then direct The Chancellor to convene The Hall of Peers to hear the appeal. Non-citizens have no right to appeal.

6.   All criminal and civil disputes of The West Pacific, whether they occur in any of its on-site or in its off-site locations, will be heard by this body. Only The Delegate may refer cases to this body.

7.   A Criminal and Civil Code and other legislation may be established by the Hall of Nations and approved by the Delegate to provide for laws for all properties owned, operated and recognized by the Delegate of The West Pacific.

Finally, to tie everything together, I will begin tracking the activity of our residents with this point system.

Spoiler

Status Points

The West Pacific is a meritocracy. In order to make the recognition of merit more concrete, we are instituting a point system. Status points are awarded by The Delegate and are based on your regional activity. They are to be used as an indication of your activity and do not guarantee recognition. The Delegate, Guardians, Ministers and past Delegates are not tracked.

Status Points are awarded as follows:

WA endorsing the Delegate                        4
Citizenship                                                     4
Participation in TWPAF                               4
Participation in any other ministry            2
Forum activity                                               2
RMB activity                                                  1
Discord activity                                             1
Regional activity                                           1

At the end of each month, any resident whose score is among the top three may have their territory expanded on the regional map. If their score is among the bottom three, they may have their territory diminished. If a nation has their territory expanded and there is no unclaimed area or a diminished nation nearby in which to expand, territory may be removed from The Delegate or one of the past Delegates, as these are devoted to the service of the region.

At the end of a three-month period, any nation whose total score for that three-month period is among the top two may be considered for Endo Cap improvement, Recognition or even Peerage.

Each of the theme champions will present their theme ideas below. After they are all posted, this topic will be opened so that you may discuss the options. After the discussion period, the citizens of The West Pacific will vote for a new theme!

I hope you join me in welcoming these changes and look forward, as I do, to an exciting new era for The West Pacific!

Imperial Russian Theme

Introduction

For this theme, I have pulled concepts from various parts of Russian government and structure during the Imperial period. The Russian Empire was established by Peter the Great in 1721, and lasted until 1917. Until 1906, it was an absolute monarchy, in line with our own principle of Delegate supremacy.

Nomenclature

While Peter the Great insisted on being called “Emperor”, later emperors were interchangeably called the familiar title of “Czar” (or “Tsar”). Therefore, since there are already countless regions using “Emperor”, I feel “Czar” is a better title for our Delegate.

The Guardian team would become the State Council, and individual Guardians Councillors. The State Council was originally appointed by the Czar and served a variety of roles, but their primary role was to advise and make recommendations to the Czar, regarding any matter submitted to them.

The granting and revocation of Peerage is the sole prerogative of The Delegate. The following titles may be conferred. They are listed in decreasing order of precedence.

Position Title Address
The Delegate Czar/Czarina His/Her Imperial Majesty
Heir Apparent Czarviech/Czarviecha His/Her Imperial Highness
Immediate Past Delegate Emeritus/Dowager C/C His/Her Majesty
The 2nd & 3rd Past Delegates Grand Duke/Duchess His/Her Royal Highness
Other Past Delegates Knyaz His/Her Royal Grace
As Awarded Duke/Duchess His/Her Grace
As Awarded Graf/Grafsha His/Her Lord/Ladyship
As Awarded Baron/Baroness His/Her Lord/Ladyship
As Awarded Boyar/Boyara His/Her Lord/Ladyship
Non-Peer Recognitions    
As Awarded Bogatyr Sir/Dame

TWPAF will also have new rank names, taken from ranks in the Imperial Navy.

Current Name Proposed Name
Commander General-Admiral
First Mate Admiral
Quarter Master Kontr-Admiral
Sailing Master Kapitan
Gunner Leytenant
Boatswain Botsman
Powder Monkey Botsmanmat
Striker Kwartirmeister
Greenhorn Matros

Imagery

Imperial Russian symbolism is somewhat lacking, but an omnipresent symbol is the two-headed Byzantine eagle. My current proposal for the region’s flag is this, based on one of the Imperial flags (courtesy of Ark):

gRFFkK9I48ZKZT-ixPTPlBVjfaKf4qQNucXPWhfxmIuIq-0D2-wmQrYDzWMS7G-pubDq5FvjmUXO50J48vUqZuMBwrKueOMHBSeD39hSCx3JxD3QgiFbKEzRoSZsrcyo15FmYaDn

For the new TWPAF flag, I took the eagle symbol and used it to make a variation of the classic skull and crossbones.

t2eOO6padbhPiBItmkXgspjDvxdvH6euq1q7XQ9mplwjpQPJ4FC0lmCq5yHoG6JbF6LFdDqMKrOJ1NnzKC-GuFPvF8OBEWyCmGqUj6Jm0y2WdDaG3jhSvQFl0qVsJqKa0z9A2HEM

TWP Imperial Chinese Theme

Background

I have chosen to base this theme heavily on the Tang Dynasty era of imperial China. The Tang Dynasty, founded by emperor Gaozu of the Li family. The Tang dynasty is generally considered a high point in Chinese history by historians, and there is a general consensus that it constitutes the Imperial Chinese “Golden Age.” This era saw incredible advancements in culture, government, technology, and territory for China. Territorial expansion in particular rivaled that of the early Han Dynasty (China’s 2nd dynasty), during which china expanded from the eastern part of their modern day territory into Mongolia. The Tang dynasty similarly saw tremendous success in its early campaigns. It is my hope that utilizing this era for our theme will allow TWP to capture the spirit of enthusiasm and advancement that defined this period in Chinese history.

Delegate

Obviously, the Delegate of TWP would be an emperor/empress under the Chinese theme. However, in the interest of differentiating ourselves from other regions with generic titles, I would like to utilize the Tang Dynasty’s honorific title for rulers, which was Tangri Qhagan. However, due to this being rather difficult to pronounce, I decided to simplify it. Firstly, Tangri is rooted in the word tengri, which is actually of Turkish origin. I believe we can simply not use this word as it is in relation to the Chinese victory over a Turkish civilization during the Sui dynasty. Qhagan, however, comes from the word Khagan(or Khatun if the subject is female), which is similar to Khan in origin and function (being the title for a leader of a Mongolian civilization). Therefore, I believe the title of Delegate should be either Emperor or Khagan, depending on which is more appropriate or preferred.

Guardians

There were, in fact, similar roles to our current Guardians in the Tang government structure. However, their role was officially acknowledged in two ways. There were the Shenwu Guardians, who were actually a specific sect of the military which were charged with the responsibility of protecting the emperor, and did not answer to the normal military hierarchy, but to the emperor themselves. The title of Shenwu is an accurate way to encompass the security side of what a Guardian does. Guardians also, however serve in an advisory role to the Delegate. I have also accounted for this, but it will be outlined as part of the “Government” section of this outline.

Military

The Tang dynasty had a strict military hierarchy, but concurrently believed in using tactics typically attributed to minority groups within the empire. This willingness to step away from tradition (and even appoint minority Chinese to high ranking positions based on merit) is a very important trait that served the Tang military well in its endeavors. As such, I think it is prudent to theme our ranks after those of the Tang military. The following are the suggested ranks and their equivalents in English. TWPAF is obviously free to decide its own course as it has done historically:

Khagan/Khatun (Emperor) - Commander-in-chief

Jiangjun - General

TongJun - Lieutenant General

Jinzhou - Colonel

JunFu - Lieutenant Colonel

Duizhu - Captain

Duifu - Footsoldier

Peerage

The granting and revocation of Peerage is the sole prerogative of The Delegate. The following titles may be conferred. They are listed in decreasing order of precedence.

Position                                   Title                           Address

The Delegate                       Emperor/Empress                His/Her Imperial Majesty

Heir Apparent                       Wang Prince/Princess         His/Her Imperial Highness

Immediate Past Delegate    Emeritus/Dowager E/E        His/Her Majesty

The 2nd & 3rd Past Delegates  Beileh Prince/Princess         His/Her Royal Highness

Other Past Delegates          Beitzu Prince/Princess         His/Her Royal Grace

As Awarded                         Kung                                 His/Her Grace

As Awarded                         ChiangChun                         His/Her Lord/Ladyship

As Awarded                         Hu                                        His/Her Lord/Ladyship

As Awarded                         Tzu                                       His/Her Lord/Ladyship

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Awarded                        Nan                                      Sir/Dame

(This is the highest non-peer recognition)          

Government

Perhaps the most extensive overhaul rendered by this theme is that of the region’s internal government. The Tang Dynasty government followed a system called “Three Departments, Six Ministries.” This system effectively created six ministries which were then grouped by pairs into three separate departments to make them easier to manage. I propose that we adapt this system into our own government. It would look something like this:

G3nxV4_-boGfyGGsMp26gwBY4m83jj5N1VFg4OdTg57vusYysqOSepush1dy5wTWUXNRuwOYBmoGtDEeVgOab2-5hrL3wDz2LwYz2oNBEdZLCihQ_VCLICf5-FlgXK4gAe08B0o9

I propose that we slim down the overall size of our government by absorbing smaller departments into greater ministries. The Ministry of WA Affairs, for example, could be absorbed by R&C, and the title of “Minister of World Assembly Affairs” renamed to “R&C Deputy Minister of World Assembly Affairs,” while still maintaining a similar function.  The newspaper ministry would be absorbed by one of the IA ministries, and so on. Which sub-ministries fall under which ministries would be at the delegate’s discretion.

You may now be asking yourself, “Where do the Guardians fit into this system?” This would be a valid question. Each of the three Departments has one or more Guardians assigned to it. While the Guardians typically juggle different responsibilities, I believe the region would benefit from a more orderly system outlining which Guardians are focused on (and should be contacted about) which areas of government. If the system were to be adopted tomorrow, the lineup would look like this:

Foreign Affairs Guardians

Internal Affairs Guardians

Advisory Body Guardians

Kawaii Schoolgirls

Cherville

Overthinkers

Dalimbar

Arkadia Universalis

Yy4u

Mediobogdum

This system also helps to divide the workload amongst guardians and allows a more cooperative system wherein two guardians from the same department can coordinate and work together where appropriate.

Forum, WFE and Discord

Any theme change will logically require a lot of admin work to complete. For example, I would say channels such as #the_lounge would be renamed to something like #the_capital, or #xian if we were to use the actual capital city of Tang China as the channel name. I believe the WFE color scheme works as is, but it would make sense to change some terms to their themed counterparts, I.E. “Please Endorse the Khagan Saint Mark, and Shenwu Guardians Arkadia Universalis, Kawaii Schoolgirls…” and so on.

Aesthetics

This is my proposal for the regional flag:

23XmXLxu-vN1q69nMZceGcDpeF6uXh9JC5KUmPznvzD6aPec0c-HAdMUTgGJxc7X22EwDVas8rpmAgY-AvYgWqPwCURhdeegg7L7ARJuDb1ygLpQ8juP5Yn1s5Y51RYMh4M1ZvMX

(the Chinese characters mean “west pacific”)

This is my proposed TWPAF Flag:

LsGYVXul2AyRjibwd_8gaHDqjC_vxJ0FNuReLTjdGgB6WPNpZ_kI8W5mlAIAneM16IPnljkBLwvBTh6PzG1GiWbyR7VlgmS387xvKei12vqVGu_UwJrmmu9R4I0akQ8Fnsg6bGcz

(the Chinese character means “pirate, corsair, or buccaneer)

The Rising Sun of The West Pacific

A distant region made up of exciting and adventurous islands

smaller.png.39575fd3dcf9378454df4e6e176c868c.png

About this theme:

I am going to come right out and say that I didn't put in as much work into this as the other two have. I was under the impression it was more or less designing a fresh look and feel for the region. I didn't look at the bigger picture like they did and have been relucent to share my part because I am ashamed I did not go as far as they have. All the same, My theme is based on mysterious and adventurous islands of the west pacific. I tried to pay homage to the old theme in using the sunburst and the colors but wanted to make sure it felt fresh and exciting.

I would like to apologize to the people of The West Pacific for not going the extra step as my peers have. If my theme should win, I will do whatever is wished by you to extend the theme in creative ways that will grab the interest of all nations in our region, new and old.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my theme.

I know this thread is for discussing the regional themes, but in regards to the regional map, is it going to be the same one we had in the past that Bran Astor organized?

I love all of these! I especially love that we're keeping classic TWP colors and the Pirate theme is staying. Ark's TWPAF flag is a serious upgrade from the unartistic one I threw together! Lol. Art is not my deal :3 Imperialist Japan and Imperialist China both really feel like they have old TWP vibes too. I honestly have no idea what theme TWP was supposed to have before (was there a theme..?), but I think somewhere in the Asian section of things is where I've mentally categorized TWP, so I think that's really fitting. The sunburst thing has always reminded me of Japan, anyway. Land of the rising sun! I feel like this just takes the sort of vibes that's TWP already has going on and puts them into a concrete, fluid overall theme. 

These are all really good (like actually incredible), but I think I'm leaning toward Imperialist China. The names will take some getting used to, but they always do, and if TWP really puts their heart into owning it as a region, I think that it structurally makes the most sense and matches the sort of vision TWP has always had. But that's just my opinion. ^-^ Also idk where else this is being discussed, I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention. Sorry if I'm the only person talking about this here. >.>