Kawaii

[Discussion] Military Recruitment

Good evening,

I come before the Hall today to discuss my proposal to initiate a military draft. This draft will only affect 1) Nations who have populations under  One Billion, 2) Nations who have a free WA status which can be moved with ease to one's  puppet nations, and 3) Nations who are capable of participating in a job relating to military action, whether that be active or passive service in The West Pacific Armed Forces. This draft would be compulsory for all nation who meet these criteria; those found to be lying and/or forging excuses to avoid the draft will be ejected.

The need for such a strict and extensive military draft is due to our military's lack of numbers/active personnel. Despite numerous attempts to recruit through normal means, we have grown little to none within the last four to five months. As result, the military has become stagnant; an unacceptable state for the likes of a GCR military which had once been a frontrunner in the world of the R/D game.

Just two years ago, TWP was once home to a very powerful and influential army. It was T.W.P.A.F. which had helped grow our region and bring in new life. Our military had taken part in numerous military operations which have strengthened our bonds with allies and in some instances, had been responsible for gaining new ones. Through the manpower of our military, we have brought many fascist regions to an end and tore down the regions of spammers and rule breakers. The importance of T.W.P.A.F. has been proven time and time again. It is also important to note that without active manpower in our military, our region's security is at high risk.

If something should happen to our home, be it a successful invasion or a rouge RO, we will need numbers to be able to deflect such an attack. If we don't have enough active personnel in our military, we will not be able to do so and will be at the mercy of our allies to ask for aid. The most favorable outcome for us would be to have at least 10 - 20 active personnel and a total of 50 support nations (pilers) enlisted in our military. These numbers are not crazy, in fact, they seem quite standard in most military orgs.

By initiating this draft, we will be doing the West Pacific a great service going forward. I eagerly await the discussion on this topic below.

2 hours ago, Chervil said:

Can you give me example of excuses that's accepted and not accepted for not following the order?

I would put the scene in Hogan's Heroes where Newkirk is drafted into the German army here, but Youtube has failed me.

In other words, I'd think it would have to be an excuse that would clearly move the nation out of one of the last two categories (" 2) Nations who have a free WA status which can be moved with ease to one's  puppet nations, and 3) Nations who are capable of participating in a job relating to military action, whether that be active or passive service in The West Pacific Armed Forces.") Frankly, I've sat here for ten minutes trying to come up with a concrete example, and failed to come up with one that a nation under one billion pop. would likely have.

That aside, the part you quoted is more aimed at those who give false excuses, no matter how adequate.

Lastly, we're pirates. This should totally be called "impressment" and not a "draft"...

13 minutes ago, Overthinkers said:

Lastly, we're pirates. This should totally be called "impressment" and not a "draft"...

>.>

Speaking of drafts, what will be done to ensure the "military draft" is known to all the nations that fit the criteria? By telegrams?

2 hours ago, Chervil said:

>.>

Speaking of drafts, what will be done to ensure the "military draft" is known to all the nations that fit the criteria? By telegrams?

... and, of course there are nations who have blocked TGs.  I do like the idea and it is well worth airing in the community with a clear option for nations to elect for one or other category, namely as a fully active nation or as a piler. 

I agree that 'impressment' rather than 'draft' is a great idea :)

5 hours ago, Chervil said:

Can you give me example of excuses that's accepted and not accepted for not following the order?

like OT said, this is more aimed at those who give false excuses, no matter how adequate. But for example it would be like:

"I can't join because I have school/work." This is unacceptable. Unless a nation has received some sort of special punishment from the NationStates moderation team, they can work in some area of our military, whether it be as piler, spy, or whatever else we need at the time. Excuses like this are a big part of why we are in this situation right now, we need to start laying down the law with those who respect us but have been slacking off, regardless of rank.

56 minutes ago, Mediobogdum said:

... and, of course there are nations who have blocked TGs.  I do like the idea and it is well worth airing in the community with a clear option for nations to elect for one or other category, namely as a fully active nation or as a piler. 

I agree that 'impressment' rather than 'draft' is a great idea :)

This is a good point. I suppose we could add their names to a list on a dispatch that way they are notified through this method, it would work much in the same way the telegram will work.

3 hours ago, Overthinkers said:

:TWPpiratewaveemote:

I like this idea. We would have to finalize some language before making a law, but I think it may help to increase participation. We certainly do need it. Our once glorious pirate fleet is down to a small sailboat (although it is crewed by cool people!).

:TWPpiratewaveemote:

I've got to say that this sounds like a good idea in theory, but in practice this may backfire. There are many players I think, that are content with just answering their issues and that's it. If we try to force them into something, I fear that we'll be scaring away a lot of new players that might be attracted to other parts of NS as time goes on. If we proceed with this, I feel that nations that were created within say, 5 days or a week should be exempt from this. Also will this be a one-time thing or will this be a continuing draft?

We should also think about the viability of the draft actually working. If it works then that's great. However, if no one comes forward and becomes more I involved in TWPAF, I can see one of two things happening. Either we would have to

1. follow through on ejecting people which, as Halo has said, could reduce the security of the region,

or

2. we would have to accept the loss and recant the draft. If that happens, that would undermine the government and give critics of TWP ammo.

This is all a bunch of speculation on my part however.

TL;DR: we should seriously consider the viability of the draft succeeding because if it doesn't there could be bad consequences

I like medio's thinking on this, it shouldn't be forced, it should be that they enlist on their own initiative. But how do we go about encouraging this to happen? I for one am in favor of going to war; nothing unites people like a formidable foe.

1 hour ago, Mediobogdum said:

Make the ‘impressment’ a privilege by offering a greater number of endorsements they can have over and above the stipulated current figures ?

Medio! I love that idea! Brilliant!

It will also garner a player more points toward some of my future advancement plans!  ;)

I do not want to start a war just to increase interest in the military, though.

Would a person really care that much about the ability to have a slightly higher endorsement count though? In the end, the benefits are minimal, it really only increases their influence which is virtually useless unless they have Border Control over the region, aside from this, it just means a little extra security. 

Regarding the proposal of war, it wouldn't have to be a *real* war, as long as the newbies think it is serious and worth fighting, they would be willing to do their part and enlist and take up a job. Our military can offer jobs to those who don't have a free WA as well, whether it be handling logistics, information gathering, pro-TWPAF propaganda, etc. This could all be done against a puppet-state created and ran by our high command and not have any real threat against our region and its people.

Today there was another missed raid due to Nobody showing up and reporting in. This has for too long become the norm in T.W.P.A.F. and is practically accepted behavior in the, "well, what can you do?" mindset. I've had enough of it. I've had the good pleasure of working in a handful of respectable raider orgs, and I cannot say that in any single one of them, this laziness would ever fly. As such, I propose to our commander-in-chief, @Saint Mark and our commander, @Chervil  that T.W.P.A.F. initiates a hard reset.

This will involve removing any and all inactive members of our crew who have shown time and time again to be unreliable and lazy. Those who have come to us excusing their absence should have their status in our ranks reviewed on a case by case instance; if they plan to only be absent for a short period of time which they can assure a date they will be able to actively participate can keep their rank and role. If they are to be absent for an unspecified length of time or have otherwise not returned after the time they had specified, then they should be discharged.

There is little point to keeping around troops who refuse to do their part in the military. If they want to keep their rank, it should show in their work, regardless if they are a powder monkey or first mate; it should be expected of the whole crew that they are all doing their respective jobs.

This is the first step of the Hard Reset I would like to propose. If you choose to accept, I will address the next steps to address a few issues as well.

One thing to bear in mind... not everyone, myself included, is keen on tag raiding which seems to be our prevalent current MO.  Maybe some longer-term options would have a greater appeal  to the newcomers.  It is a crying shame, nay dreadful, that we seem to nearly always end up with just one or two on a raiding op. A hard reset is in order but, just out of interest, exactly how many of our troops are fully-fledged TWP nations rather than mercenaries from other regions?

36 minutes ago, Mediobogdum said:

One thing to bear in mind... not everyone, myself included, is keen on tag raiding which seems to be our prevalent current MO.  Maybe some longer-term options would have a greater appeal  to the newcomers.  It is a crying shame, nay dreadful, that we seem to nearly always end up with just one or two on a raiding op. A hard reset is in order but, just out of interest, exactly how many of our troops are fully-fledged TWP nations rather than mercenaries from other regions?

I could not agree more! I am all about occupations, have been ever since I first got into raiding. My personal opinion is that tag raiding should serve for training and for sport, seeing how many you can hit in a night. Occupations are what get people turning heads though, it's thrilling to watch a region be destroyed thanks to you. Successfully putting a password up there and locking the region down is honestly one of the most satisfying things I've felt in this game. When everything goes right, you can feel invincible, like you could invade the whole world.

To answer your question, as of the moment of writing this, (I think) we have about ten troops who *should* be able to raid, however, there have only ever been maybe three or four of those who have actively participated as of recent. This will be changing of course. The goal will be to get at least 10 - 15 active troops, and a bunch more reliable pilers. Once this is accomplished, we should be able to do occupations much more often.