Aleister

Aleister for Minister of World Assembly Affairs

Hey folks!

I figure the votes are starting soon so I should at least explain some of my ideas and goals for this coming term, if I do indeed win the election.

Firstly, if some of you don't recognize me, that's likely because my name in the region was 'Lamb' previously. Not too long ago, I was elected Minister of Recruitment and Citizenry. At the time, I had grand plans to serve the region and I fell short, largely because of my priorities in real life that sprouted up at the time. I had recently gotten into a new job position and a large portion of my time was focused on achieving certifications for my job field. I soon fell short on the responsibilities of my position and was unable to pursue the goals I had laid out for myself.

I am elaborating on this because I feel it is important to address and to ensure my fellow Hall of Nations members that it is not something that is going to happen again. Though I have responsibilities in other regions in the game, much like when I was running for my previous position, my "external life" is much more stable and less prone to surprises which will allow me to commit more time to The West Pacific and serving its people to the best of my ability.

Now, onto the details.

As described in The Manners, the Minister of World Assembly Affairs is responsible for keeping an eye on the in-game forum for NationStates for upcoming WA resolutions in order to supply an opinion regarding them to the region before they go to vote. Additionally, the Minister is tasked with polling our residents in order to gauge their opinions on said resolutions. States of Glory, though he has served our region well, is someone who has failed, in important ways, to fulfill the duties of his position for The West Pacific. A clear example of his failures can be observed over the last few weeks of his term as Minister. He has failed to post two important resolutions that have been presented to the floor and subsequently ended their voting cycles in the World Assembly without any input from our region. A miss like this inhibits the residents and citizens of The West Pacific from providing their input, discussing the impact of these resolutions, and from standing together with an empowered decision behind our Delegate's vote for the region. Alongside these short-comings, we can observe the fact that States of Glory has refrained from polling residents of The West Pacific at all during his two consecutive terms, at least from what I can tell. This is a vital role of the Minister of World Assembly Affair's position in the region and it's a shame that it hasn't been pursued at all during the last two terms. This is something I aspire to change.

As Minister of World Assembly Affairs, not only will I be diligent in lending my expertise (backed by 11 years of experience in NationStates) in regard to our presence in the World Assembly, but I will ensure that we include our residents, alongside our citizenry, in an effort to increase our inclusiveness and communal ideals. My term as the Minister of World Assembly Affairs will be supplemented with the cooperation between our other Ministries, our Delegate, and our Guardians in order to increase our presence in the World Assembly membership across the region as a whole. Though not specifically outlined in The Manners, I feel it is important that this Ministry pursues the growth of World Assembly membership in our region, as the more nations we have participating in the WA, the more powerful our region is in the NS world.

Anyone can post the upcoming resolutions in the WA and supply a basic opinion regarding them. I would like to see The West Pacific grow, not only in the areas of WA membership, but in its presence on the NS forum as well as a voice for our ideals and in eventual resolution authorship. Increasing collaboration between our citizens and residents in resolution authoring can not only assist in our regional growth on the world stage, but allow us to work towards common goals that actually make an impact.

I wouldn't encourage the vote of someone who has acknowledged the neglect of their duties and admitted their inability to serve for several weeks. Vote for a Minister who can breathe new life into our region's place in the World Assembly and someone who is truly trying to assist The West Pacific in becoming the hub for WA affairs across NationStates.

Vote Aleister for Minister of World Assembly Affairs!

If anyone has any questions for me, feel free to ask them in this thread or speak with me in TWP's Discord server. :tiphat:

5 minutes ago, Aleister said:

Firstly, if some of you don't recognize me, that's likely because my name in the region was 'Lamb' previously. Not too long ago, I was elected Minister of Recruitment and Citizenry. At the time, I had grand plans to serve the region and I fell short, largely because of my priorities in real life that sprouted up at the time. I had recently gotten into a new job position and a large portion of my time was focused on achieving certifications for my job field. I soon fell short on the responsibilities of my position and was unable to pursue the goals I had laid out for myself.

Firstly, welcome back. :)

Secondly, I feel as if this statement has bitten you in the you-know-what.

41 minutes ago, Aleister said:

States of Glory, though he has served our region well

I would thank you, but based on your subsequent comments, I question how genuine that sentiment is.

49 minutes ago, Aleister said:

He has failed to post two important resolutions that have been presented to the floor and subsequently ended their voting cycles in the World Assembly without any input from our region. A miss like this inhibits the residents and citizens of The West Pacific from providing their input, discussing the impact of these resolutions, and from standing together with an empowered decision behind our Delegate's vote for the region.

Those were failures, yes. I hold my hands up to that. As mitigation, though, the decision to vote against 'Liberate Westphalia' was set in stone as soon as it was drafted. I could have brought an entire army of people supporting a vote in favour and it wouldn't have done anything. For some resolutions, the choice is a very simple one.

I won't attempt to mitigate the others, though. They were disappointing dips in my otherwise consistent punctuality.

6 minutes ago, Aleister said:

Alongside these short-comings, we can observe the fact that States of Glory has refrained from polling residents of The West Pacific at all during his two consecutive terms, at least from what I can tell. This is a vital role of the Minister of World Assembly Affair's position in the region and it's a shame that it hasn't been pursued at all during the last two terms. This is something I aspire to change.

This is not true, for the record. If you want a few examples:

https://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=26778995

https://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=26811028

https://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=26896911

There are more, of course, but these are the ones I could instantly find. If you're referring to literal polls then that's a bad idea. A regional consensus should be based on the strengths of individual arguments, not a simple vote. @Big Bad Badger will hopefully testify that I TG'd him in specific regards to polls and we agreed that the Manners allowed for a 'non-poll' poll in which participants discuss and decide on a final decision collectively rather than simply holding a vote without any regard for actual merit.

52 minutes ago, Aleister said:

Though not specifically outlined in The Manners, I feel it is important that this Ministry pursues the growth of World Assembly membership in our region, as the more nations we have participating in the WA, the more powerful our region is in the NS world.

I agree completely. However, we're already making huge progress on this front. In this aspect, there's nothing to improve (or at least if there is, you haven't suggested anything concrete).

54 minutes ago, Aleister said:

Anyone can post the upcoming resolutions in the WA

This completely usurps the role of the ministry as clearly set out in the Manners.

55 minutes ago, Aleister said:

supply a basic opinion regarding them.

People can already do that. I'm not sure what you're trying to change here.

55 minutes ago, Aleister said:

Remember the very first statement I quoted? You, like me, have been in a situation where you've been inactive and have neglected your duties. It happens to the best of us. However, while you claim that it won't happen again, you haven't explained how you'll do that. I've explained that by dividing the work up between a couple of people (possibly more), it's more likely that I'll actually fulfil what I have to fulfil. No man rules alone. I've actually learned from my mistakes and have offered a solution as an improvement. What are you offering? Why should people simply have to trust that you won't go inactive? There are contingency plans in case the Delegate is inactive; all the other Ministries have assistants for that sort of thing. How about you? 

9 minutes ago, States of Glory said:

Remember the very first statement I quoted? You, like me, have been in a situation where you've been inactive and have neglected your duties. It happens to the best of us. However, while you claim that it won't happen again, you haven't explained how you'll do that. I've explained that by dividing the work up between a couple of people (possibly more), it's more likely that I'll actually fulfil what I have to fulfil. No man rules alone. I've actually learned from my mistakes and have offered a solution as an improvement. What are you offering? Why should people simply have to trust that you won't go inactive? There are contingency plans in case the Delegate is inactive; all the other Ministries have assistants for that sort of thing. How about you? 

There's a difference between acknowledging a past situation and acknowledging a future one. I have acknowledged already that my current RL situation and in-game situation allows me to be incredibly active within TWP and in this role. You have acknowledged that over the next several weeks (and the past several) you will be completely inactive, one of the reasons you originally declined your nomination.

These situations aren't the same. "Contingency plans" are for those that intend on failing to fulfill their duties, such as yourself. I intend on creating a network of citizens within TWP to assist me in some of my duties. If the time ever came that I needed to take a step back due to external situations, I would then ensure the shoes are filled by someone capable. I don't forsee that happening, but you've guaranteed on that happening if you were to be elected. There's a big difference in that and it's something I think the voters will take note of.

Why did you ignore everything else I said?

There's a difference between acknowledging a past situation and acknowledging a future one.

Are we not to learn from the past? Are we simply to let history repeat, or are we to ensure that history doesn't repeat?

You have acknowledged that over the next several weeks (and the past several) you will be completely inactive, one of the reasons you originally declined your nomination.

Completely inactive? That's a very liberal interpretation of 'RL is also going to hit harder for the next couple of weeks'. If it were complete inactivity, I would have resigned (indeed, I once resigned due to a genuine lack of any activity whatsoever). This? This is far from that.

Now, perhaps if I were a one-man band as I've been for the past couple of terms, 'complete inactivity', while still an exaggeration, would be more accurate to the situation. However, there's a reason why I decided to figure out a way to take a load off my back while still being able to fulfil my duties (the vast majority of which I will fulfil personally). The circumstances regarding my original rejection have changed; ergo, it makes sense that I've reconsidered my original decision.

14 minutes ago, Aleister said:

"Contingency plans" are for those that intend on failing to fulfill their duties, such as yourself.

The Manners contains a contingency plan for the Delegate's inactivity:

5. In the event of the Delegate ceasing to exist, resigning the position or giving away his nation to a third-party without previously having selected a successor, he will cease being recognized as the Delegate and a new Delegate will be chosen by the remaining Guardians.    

Clearly, Badger intended to fail to fulfil his duties when he included that line. :rolleyes:

18 minutes ago, Aleister said:

If the time ever came that I needed to take a step back due to external situations, I would then ensure the shoes are filled by someone capable.

How would you ensure that if you're inactive? Better to ensure that while you're still active, like I'm doing.

19 minutes ago, Aleister said:

I don't forsee that happening, but you've guaranteed on that happening if you were to be elected.

If you can find a post in which I guarantee that I'll have to step back eventually, I'll drop out of the race. No, saying 'in case of inactivity, I have this contingency plan' is no more a guarantee than 'in case of an earthquake, I have this contingency plan' is.

I wholeheartedly agree with your stance, Aleister. While SoG can't just abandon RL for his NS duties, the lack of action that is obviously shown in the WA department is a sign of badly-needed new blood. SoG might have done 2 terms, but very little change has been noticed. You have my support.

It's a shame that Aleister has refused to answer any of my questions, instead electing to attack strawmen that I've already deconstructed.

Why did you wait until after I'd already posted a campaign thread to make your own?

What further progress can you offer regarding our Delegate's endorsement count?

Why do you criticise me for 'abandoning my duties' when you intend on allowing everyone and their grandma to post upcoming resolutions in the offsite forum, thereby completely (and willingly, might I add?) neglecting one of the most fundamental duties of the WA Minister?

What do you mean by 'supplying a basic opinion' on upcoming resolutions, bearing in mind that this is already possible?

Why do you refuse to offer a contingency plan in case of inactivity?

What actual experience do you have in the WA?

Why have you avoided all of my scrutiny?

I haven't avoided anything. I just don't sit on NationStates 24/7. I went to bed shortly after my last message last night and I have been at work and am still at work since this morning.

People have responsibilities that are higher priority than monitoring this forum and your sad attempts at rebuttal all day.

Also, I was doing like 5 things at once last night, one of which was writing my campaign post. At the time I began writing it, you had yet to post one.

I will respond to the rest when I am not focusing on work.