Atlae

Term Lengths and the Second Amendment

Greetings, regionmates.

As you all know, the Speaker and Ministers serve a three-month term. This is because of the 2nd amendment (see link below) which sets the terms as the same. To make sure Speakers and Ministers are not elected in the same election cycle, the elections between them are offset by one month.

The problem is the last election cycle went wrong - the Speaker election was one month late (it was in November rather than October), so as to get the new government in, the Speaker election was held when the Ministerial elections would have originally happened, and the new Speaker held the Ministerial elections.

So when exactly did OT's term start? Is it 3 months after he took office on November 17 (where the next cycle is in February) or is it when Drall's term should have ended (October 2nd)?

I myself am inclined to say the first, because if the second one were true, OT's term would have ended on January 2nd, and we have no Speaker.

But this brings up another point. Are the Ministers' terms still 3 months long, and elected with the Speaker? 

Remember, the original intent was to have a smooth transition. To quote the framer, Halo, "As the Speaker is the one who conducts the business of The Hall, the term should outlast the others to allow for a smooth flow of business."

So if we restore the 1 month gap, whose terms are we extending/shortening? Should we shorten OT's term, or extend the Ministers'?

Moreover, the Manners are quite explicit that the terms are three months, but this seems to go against the original intent of the Second Amendment.

So how should we go about this? In my mind, there are a few questions which need to be answered.

• When did OT's term start and when should it end? How long should it be?
  • Is OT still Speaker?
  • When is the next election cycle?
  • When are the Ministers going to be elected?
  • Should we continue with the original election cycles (I.e. First few days of January, April, July, and October) or when OT's term started (I.e. February, May, August, and November)? Or should we just create new, arbitrary times when the terms start and end?

In my opinion, OT's term started when he was elected and will end three months later (Atlae's first proposition).

The Ministers' terms also started after they were elected and will end three months after they started.

Because of the delay in the Speaker election, this doesn't allow us to have the overlap we need.

I have a suggestion, but I have to leave the office now. I'll post it later. 

... ugh! this day!

OK ... so, we in TWP have the advantage of not being tied up in administrative procedure. Our Delegate may enact whatever solution he wishes. I suggest that The Speaker's term end immediately, that Davelands either appoints an interim Speaker or conducts the duties of the office himself and that we call for immediate elections for Speaker. After the new Speaker is elected, the elections for the other Ministers can proceed as they normally would and the overlap will be reestablished. 

If that isn't agreeable, then perhaps we could just extend the terms for the current Ministers to reestablish the overlap?

14 hours ago, Saint Mark said:

OK ... so, we in TWP have the advantage of not being tied up in administrative procedure. Our Delegate may enact whatever solution he wishes. I suggest that The Speaker's term end immediately, that Davelands either appoints an interim Speaker or conducts the duties of the office himself and that we call for immediate elections for Speaker. After the new Speaker is elected, the elections for the other Ministers can proceed as they normally would and the overlap will be reestablished. 

If that isn't agreeable, then perhaps we could just extend the terms for the current Ministers to reestablish the overlap?

I am making an Executive Decision here.

Elections are to begin on February 1st with the Speaker election. The rest of the elections will follow as it did in November.

The current Speaker's term shall end the day after the last election is certified as complete. The Speaker's "final duty" will be to show the Speaker-elect the process for running elections and the rest of the Speaker's duties during the transition period.

Then the next set of elections will begin May 1st.