The Silence is deafening

Darkesia

and I am very disappointed.

Perhaps the discussion is on Discord?  That's possible.  Like the old days...  All the politics happens in the chat feature?

I'm creeped out by the silence. 

Say something!  lol

That is the problem, Dark.  There was no discussion or opinions sought on how things were to develop in the region regarding guardianship, as far as I can tell.  Certainly not with me but I had a foot in both camps being brought online as an adjunct to the Old Guard and moving along with changes being introduced by the New Guard.

Now forced into the role of collaborator...  I do not envy you. 

I do hope some of the discussion comes to the forum though.  I absolutely refuse to put that horrid app back on my phone.  I don't know how people can use Discord.  I suppose I'm old.  lol

There is a genuine problem of using Discord for some of our daily regional control.  What Discord has done is to effectively is to split the region into two factions with some discusssions being carried out in both discord and our off-site forum.

Whilst it is agreed that we have encouraged a new way for business to be discussed and carried out, and as a result we have new players becoming involved.  The downside is that we now have no clear direction for procedures for  the region.

I would suggest be that we need to have just a SINGLE place to discuss the various topics i.e., either in the forum OR on Discord NOT both.

Offsite anything; forum, Discord, whatever, are never as active as the onsite version. RMB and telegrams are there for a reason, to put it bluntly.
That said, I somewhat presumed that the Cathedral of the Guardians to be rather busy right now.

58 minutes ago, Liberillia said:

Offsite anything; forum, Discord, whatever, are never as active as the onsite version. RMB and telegrams are there for a reason, to put it bluntly.
That said, I somewhat presumed that the Cathedral of the Guardians to be rather busy right now.

The Cathedral has been silent with minor exceptions for a long time.  I believe that is indicative of a basic breakdown in the trust between the Guardians.  The home meant for frank and honest discussion has gone unused.  Hopefully in time it will repair itself.  But that said, many regions function perfectly well without such a culture.  It may just be time to change that dynamic.  Either way, it is just a change that I noticed. 

I think that is just a management style. Private group TGs amongst the Guardians for day to day stuff has been active for as long as I have been one. The Cathedral has been used more for things that require longer discussions like treaties.

As far as this situation, I have yet to receive any private messages from the ex-Guardians (it's not my place) but I know that there has been a fair amount of communication with Badger.

On 7/11/2017 at 11:27 PM, Mediobogdum said:

I would suggest be that we need to have just a SINGLE place to discuss the various topics i.e., either in the forum OR on Discord NOT both.

I for one use Discord for the daily running of R&C simply because it's the only place where I can have a discussion on whatever random topic with only the other ministers, assistants, and guardians. I agree that if there were a place to do that on the forum I would gladly use said place.

Look at those cars! My horse is quiet and reliable.

Airplanes! Bah. If man were meant to fly he would have wings.

Television! Who needs another box in the house when I can listen to music and the news just fine on my radio.

Computers! All I need is a pad of paper, a pencil, and a good mailman.

Discord! Skype is fine on occasion but nothing important should be done outside of Telegrams, the RMB, and the Forums.

*wipes the dripping sarcasm off his shirt* ;)

There was a time when the only thing you had was the RMB and TGs. Then regions started using forums. Then they got into IRC and Skype. Now Discord has supplanted (only) IRC and Skype.

If you don't accept and embrace new ways of doing things (especially when everyone else is using those tools) you risk being left behind in the dustbin of history.

Better?

One of the reasons the forum has worked so well up to now is the fact that this game is international in nature.  We live across different time zones - in the past we've had TWP governments made up of people living in the USA, UK, and Australia. In my not so humble opinion Discord and Skype are not really tools that can work well for long periods unless everyone using it is relatively close together time-wise.

2 hours ago, Bhang Bhang Duc said:

One of the reasons the forum has worked so well up to now is the fact that this game is international in nature.  We live across different time zones - in the past we've had TWP governments made up of people living in the USA, UK, and Australia. In my not so humble opinion Discord and Skype are not really tools that can work well for long periods unless everyone using it is relatively close together time-wise.

I'm going to respectfully disagree. IRC was essentially the same as Discord, but without the bells and whistles (Skype is terrible, though). That being said, I used IRC, AIM, and MSN for years to communicate with others, across a wide variety of time zones, including the UK and Australia, and the eastern US for that matter. Being on the West Coast doesn't always make the timing right for me to have conversations with people in this country, but I managed on IRC, and now on Discord. The point, though, the chat systems are functional, and they can work.

I do agree that the forums have helped in the past, I always advocated for forums. But, I disagree that Discord has killed forums, or anything like that. Forum usage had been down for a while. That's part of why I never came home to stay before. There wasn't consistent activity on the forum that I could see that would be easy to start participating in, maybe just some spam games, I was still logged into IRC but it was mostly not used, Skype was sort of used, and the RMB was difficult to break into, even for me, and sometimes what I saw was not what I remembered this region to be.

But, anyways, I do think the forum and Discord can coexist, just the same way forum and IRC did for so long.