[FAILED PROPOSAL]: World Assembly Consolidated Medicinal Database and [Healthcare] Reforms

Xerox Prime

Draft Rating Poll  

1. 1. What is your opinion of this proposal first draft? ([REVISED DRAFT]: World Assembly Consolidated Medicinal Database)

• I love it!!!
    • Okay, but needs work.
    • Fair, though needs much revision and editing.
    • Meh.
    • PIECE. OF. ****.
    • Xerox=Bad (You know You Want To...)

Spoiler

[Proposal Draft [General Assembly]]:
---------
Nations and Delegates of the World Assembly,

Wishing to expand on the benefits provided by the establishment of a centralized database of written texts into the field of medicine;

Therefore, Hereby:

Establishes & constructs a World Assembly Consolidated Medicinal Database and Research Center (WACMDRC), with the purpose of:
-Collecting medicinal knowledge possessed by the nations and appropriately educated of the World Assembly,
-Archiving historical and present medicinal discoveries and knowledge in a centralized database,
-Serving as a centralized nexus for medical research and development of new knowledge, and as an international medical administrative center,
-Providing access of such information to the nations of the World Assembly, and ensuring the preservation of aforementioned medical knowledge,
-Providing administrative functions to smaller regional centers,
-Establishing an online database for all collected and archived medical knowledge,
-Providing access to archived knowledge for educational purposes;

Mandates that the nations of the World Assembly contribute all existing medical knowledge to the WACMDRC database;

Mandates all nations of the World Assembly to pass legislation with the purpose of preserving existing and developing new medical knowledge and methods of treatment, and expanding national healthcare and research spheres;

Mandates that all nations of the World assembly unable to provide affordable healthcare for their citizens to accept the assistance of the World Assembly in developing a capable form of such service;

Mandates for the fulfillment of these purposes, for the WACMDRC to undertake the:
- Archiving and iteration upon contributed medical knowledge,
- Integrating new received knowledge into international standards of medical care and treatment,
- Providing relevant collected knowledge to the pharmaceutical industry, in whatever form it may take,
- Ensuring the cooperation of the pharmaceutical industry in the careful study and analysis of new treatments and procedures,
- Dedicating effort, time, and manpower to particular areas of medicinal research, with sufficient funding, at reasonable request of donators,
- Establishment of a reasonable and fair program for investment and funding, with investors and donators being granted a reasonable control over areas of study and research;

Mandates that WACMDRC establish aforementioned program and division to oversee:
- Ongoing funding of medical research and study,
- The possible restrictions imposed by the WACMDRC on certain types of knowledge (ex. information pertaining to biological warfare),
- The secure storage and/or isolation of above information,
- The creation and implementation of new standards of medical procedure, protocol, and operating guidelines,
- Communication of relevant new information and research to donors upon reasonable request with background checks,
- Establishment of restrictions and oversight as to those eligible to receive sensitive information upon request;

Tasks the Office of Building Management (OBM) to determine the optimal location of the WACMDRC with the potential for:
- Future expansion and addition of new divisions of the WACMDRC,
- Defense against potential threats both natural and of a man-made/terrorist nature,
- Easy access and communication between WACMDRC structures and department locations;

Encourages all WA Nations to promote healthcare, medicinal and pharmaceutical research, and preservation of medical knowledge;

Clarifies that all World Assembly member nations possess access and clearance to all non-sensitive documents and information contained within WACMDRC data-banks;

Ensures the understanding of the WACMDRC as an entity independent from, albeit still obligated to, its donors and World Assembly supervisors;

Affirms the right for private and corporate entities to participate in their own research and production of medicinal and pharmaceutical goods and information, albeit under WACMDRC regulation, if applicable and approved by the World Assembly.

---------

Please comment on this first draft with suggestions for improvement and criticisms.

To be potentially submitted as a proposal under the General Assembly.

[First Draft Under Spoiler]

---------

[[REVISED] Proposal Draft [General Assembly]]:
---------
Nations and Delegates of the World Assembly:

Wishing to expand on the benefits provided by the establishment of a centralized database texts and literary works into the field of medicine;

Therefore, Hereby:

Establishes & constructs a World Assembly Consolidated Medicinal Database(WACMD), with the purpose of:
-Collecting medicinal knowledge possessed by the nations and appropriately educated of the World Assembly,
-Archiving historical and present medicinal discoveries and knowledge in a centralized digital database, accessible by all (for the most part),
-Serving as a centralized nexus for submission of medical research and development of new knowledge,
-Providing access of such information to the nations of the World Assembly, and ensuring the preservation of aforementioned medical knowledge,
-Providing administrative functions to regional research and healthcare centers in the form of funding and eduction,
-Establishing an online database for all collected and archived medical knowledge,
-Providing access to archived knowledge for educational purposes;

Encourages that the nations of the World Assembly contribute all [non-extremely-sensitive] existing medical knowledge to the WACMD database;

Encourages all nations of the World Assembly to pass legislation with the purpose of preserving existing and developing new medical knowledge and methods of treatment, and expanding national healthcare and research spheres;

Provides funding and education to government and private entities of the World Assembly for above purposes;

Encourages that all nations of the World assembly unable to provide affordable healthcare for their citizens accept the assistance of the World Assembly in developing a capable form of such service, if in applicable governmental status and with appropriate confirmation of services;

Mandates for the fulfillment of these purposes, for the WACMDRC to undertake the:
- Archiving and iteration upon contributed medical knowledge,
- Integrating new received knowledge into international standards of medical care and treatment,
- Providing relevant collected knowledge to the pharmaceutical industry, in whatever form it may take,
- Ensuring the cooperation of the pharmaceutical industry [where applicable] in the careful study and analysis of new treatments and procedures,
- Dedicating effort, time, and manpower to particular areas of medicinal research, with sufficient funding, at reasonable request of donators,
- Establishment of a reasonable and fair program for investment and funding for the maintenance of such a database,
- Establishment of a WA committee for the oversight of funding and education for the purpose of developing healthcare and research spheres in applicable countries;

Mandates that WACMD establish aforementioned program and division to oversee:
- Ongoing funding of medical research and study,
- The possible restrictions imposed by the WACMD on certain types of knowledge (ex. sensitive information pertaining to biological warfare),
- The secure storage and/or isolation of above sensitive information,
- The creation and implementation of new standards of medical procedure, protocol, and operating guidelines, where applicable,
- Communication of relevant new information and research to WA member nations upon reasonable request with background checks,
- Establishment of restrictions and oversight as to those eligible to receive sensitive information upon request;

Tasks the Office of Building Management (OBM) to determine the optimal location of WACMD servers with the potential for:
- Defense against potential threats both natural and of a man-made/terrorist nature,
- Easy access and communication between WACMD servers and other WA and WA-affiliated structures for maintenance and communication;

Encourages all WA Nations to promote healthcare, medicinal and pharmaceutical research, and preservation of medical knowledge;

Clarifies that all World Assembly member nations possess access and clearance to all non-sensitive documents and information contained within the WACMD data-banks;

Ensures the understanding of the WACMDRC as an entity independent from, albeit still obligated to, its donors, overseers, and World Assembly supervisors;

Affirms the right for private and corporate entities to participate in their own research and production of medicinal and pharmaceutical goods and information, albeit under WA and WACMD regulation, if applicable and approved by the World Assembly;

Ensures the establishment of a committee for the funding and expansion of WA and WA member nation healthcare sectors, pharmaceutical sectors, and medical research sectors.

---------

Please comment on this [revised] draft with suggestions for improvement and criticisms.

To be potentially submitted as a proposal under the General Assembly.

[Edit]: Healthcare has received extensive previous coverage that I was not aware of. Proposal may be scrapped.

14 hours ago, Xerox Prime said:

Establishes & constructs a World Assembly Consolidated Medicinal Database and Research Center (WACMDRC), with the purpose of:

GA #78 a.k.a Universal Library Coalition already establishes an online database and I honestly don't see why we need a separate one.

Mandates that the nations of the World Assembly contribute all existing medical knowledge to the WACMDRC database;

GA #53 a.k.a Epidemic Response Act already requires member nations to share pathogen samples with the WA and GA #31 a.k.a World Health Authority strongly encourages nations to disseminate other relevant medical knowledge. There's also the fact that this clause would require member states to disseminate personal medical records, which contradicts Clause Six of GA #29 a.k.a Patient's Rights Act.

Mandates all nations of the World Assembly to pass legislation with the purpose of preserving existing and developing new medical knowledge and methods of treatment, and expanding national healthcare and research spheres;

Mandates that all nations of the World assembly unable to provide affordable healthcare for their citizens to accept the assistance of the World Assembly in developing a capable form of such service;

GA #97 a.k.a Quality in Health Services already covers this quite comprehensively.

Mandates that WACMDRC establish aforementioned program and division to oversee:
- The possible restrictions imposed by the WACMDRC on certain types of knowledge (ex. information pertaining to biological warfare),

GA #242 a.k.a Biological Warfare Convention bans the use of biological weapons and Clauses Six and Seven of that same resolution already places restrictions on research pertaining to biological warfare.

There's also the fact that the bulk of this proposal is already covered by the soon-to-pass World Assembly Central Library Compact and that this draft contains 4,142 characters when the limit is 3,500.

Overall, while I can see why you want to pass this, the fact is that there are already tons of medical resolutions passed by the GA. The ones I brought up were just the tip of the iceberg. This may sound harsh, and it's not intended to be, but I'd honestly recommend scrapping this proposal and trying something else, as healthcare is easily one of the most comprehensively covered topics in the GA.

28 minutes ago, States of Glory said:

GA #78 a.k.a Universal Library Coalition already establishes an online database and I honestly don't see why we need a separate one.

GA #53 a.k.a Epidemic Response Act already requires member nations to share pathogen samples with the WA and GA #31 a.k.a World Health Authority strongly encourages nations to disseminate other relevant medical knowledge. There's also the fact that this clause would require member states to disseminate personal medical records, which contradicts Clause Six of GA #29 a.k.a Patient's Rights Act.

GA #97 a.k.a Quality in Health Services already covers this quite comprehensively.

GA #242 a.k.a Biological Warfare Convention bans the use of biological weapons and Clauses Six and Seven of that same resolution already places restrictions on research pertaining to biological warfare.

There's also the fact that the bulk of this proposal is already covered by the soon-to-pass World Assembly Central Library Compact and that this draft contains 4,142 characters when the limit is 3,500.

Overall, while I can see why you want to pass this, the fact is that there are already tons of medical resolutions passed by the GA. The ones I brought up were just the tip of the iceberg. This may sound harsh, and it's not intended to be, but I'd honestly recommend scrapping this proposal and trying something else, as healthcare is easily one of the most comprehensively covered topics in the GA.

Your statement does not sound harsh whatsoever. I am simply very new to Nationstates in general, much less the WA, and was not aware of the extensive existing coverage of healthcare.

19 minutes ago, Big Bad Badger said:

I am really glad that you brought the draft to the forum!  I hope you will bring another.  Perhaps we could collaborate on one?

I'd be very happy to.

52 minutes ago, States of Glory said:

Do you have any suggestions for proposals concerning less extensively covered areas?

9 minutes ago, Xerox Prime said:

Do you have any suggestions for proposals concerning less extensively covered areas?

I already have a few proposals in the back burner, if you're interested. There's a searchable repository of passed resolutions in the GA sub-forum; if you have an idea, you can always search that repository to see if it's already been done.

8 hours ago, Xerox Prime said:

Branding removed.

I know that I keep banging on about this, but it's important that you get your proposal under 3,500 characters or it won't be able to be submitted. Right now, it is 4,660 characters long.

On 26/03/2017 at 0:39 AM, Xerox Prime said:

Nations and Delegates of the World Assembly:

Just write 'The World Assembly' with a comma at the end.

Therefore, Hereby:

This is unnecessarily long, not to mention redundant. Just write 'hereby'.

Ensures the establishment of a committee for the funding and expansion of WA and WA member nation healthcare sectors, pharmaceutical sectors, and medical research sectors.

Any details regarding this committee? Even a name, perhaps? You don't have enough room to create another committee anyway, so you could easily remove this entire clause.

As for the rest, I'm afraid that you'll have to trim it yourself, but if you're finding it difficult, I'd suggest splitting it into two different proposals (just make sure that you don't violate the 'House of Cards' rule in doing so and that both of them can stand on their own two feet).

On March 28, 2017 at 4:50 PM, States of Glory said:

I know that I keep banging on about this, but it's important that you get your proposal under 3,500 characters or it won't be able to be submitted. Right now, it is 4,660 characters long.

Just write 'The World Assembly' with a comma at the end.

This is unnecessarily long, not to mention redundant. Just write 'hereby'.

Any details regarding this committee? Even a name, perhaps? You don't have enough room to create another committee anyway, so you could easily remove this entire clause.

As for the rest, I'm afraid that you'll have to trim it yourself, but if you're finding it difficult, I'd suggest splitting it into two different proposals (just make sure that you don't violate the 'House of Cards' rule in doing so and that both of them can stand on their own two feet).

Trimmed, and failed with ~80 votes (wasn't online for the exact number). Will revise and resubmit once I'm settled into a new region.

Thank you for the suggestions!