Calladan

Latest batch of proposals in queue

Spoiler

Health First

A resolution to modify universal standards of healthcare.

Category: Health

Area of Effect: Healthcare

Proposed by: Hermt2.pngRegrinen

Understanding that most nations don't do anything on healthcare

Knowing that certain diseases can make a person's life be at risk

and knowing that millions of people die each year

The World Assembly shall :
1) Install hospitals near areas of war 
2) Making healthcare free to the public
3) Doctors shall accept any person
4 Making euthanasia illegal everywhere
5) Making it illegal to be taken off life support
6) Boost the budget for healthcare
7) At least 5 hospitals shall be the minimum of hospitals in a city
8) At least 1 hospital shall be the minimum of hospitals in a village 
9) The creation of first aid kits
10) 1 doctor's check up shall be taken once a year .

Approvals: 12 (World Peace and Prosperity, ScotlandSerenity, Santa Terra, Germanic Emipre, Irvane, New Californiia, Markeyland, Greater Banitia, Phdrobert, A Random Canadian Empire, Tribes of Europe, Hatay)

Voting Ends: in 7 hours

Given this ends in 7 hours, it will probably pass into history. Plus I am fairly sure that until "Assisted Suicide" is removed this is probably illegal. 

However, purely from a Calladanian point of view, the idea of more hospitals and free healthcare is always good, even if it might bankrupt a few nations and drive a few others crazy. But building MORE hospitals closer to war zones seems....... a little odd.

Spoiler

Repeal: “Prevention Of Torture”

A resolution to repeal previously passed legislation.

Category: Repeal

Resolution: GA#9

Proposed by: united_capitalist_states_of_mesos__25346United Capitalist States of Mesos

General Assembly Resolution #9 “Prevention of Torture” (Category: Human Rights; Strength: Strong) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

#GA 9 Act Prevention of Torture shall be repealed and replaced.

The Security Council,

UNDERSTANDING that the Prevention of Torture Act was in good intention and was trying to stop the inhumane treatment of innocent civilians and POWs.
DISAGREEING because it believes in banning the torture and interrogation of terrorists and criminals.
BELIEVING that the nation can independently decide on whether or not to detain/torture a criminal or terrorist.
AGREEING that innocent people and POWs should be protected from torture and prolonged detainment.
BELIEVING that a new proposal shall be created with the intentions of only protecting innocent civilians and POWs, while also creating an International Governing Body that watches over the torture of terrorists and criminals.

Repeal "Prevention of Torture" Hereby Requests:
a)Renders #GA 9 Prevention of Torture act null and void.
b)And that a new proposal shall be created for the protection of Innocent Civilians and POWs.
c)An International Court will be created with the sole purpose of governing the torture or prolonged detainment of a criminal or terrorist; if the court finds the treatment of the specific individual inhumane or unlawful the torture/detainment shall be stopped immediatley.

Written by united_capitalist_states_of_mesos__25346The Democratic Republic of United Capitalist States of Mesos

Approvals: 10 (World Peace and Prosperity, Slartnus, 1-502nd Airborne Inf, Irvane, Markeyland, Neu GrossDeutschland, DoyleNation, The Liamese Empire, Greater Argentine Republics, Bolshevik Supremacy)

Spelling aside, I am not entirely certain where this is going. It clearly states that torture and inhumane treatment is bad, and yet thinks nations should be allowed to torture terrorists and criminals, but only up to a point. It doesn't say whether it distinguishes between terrorists and criminals and SUSPECTED terrorists and criminals - so seems to be suggesting that torture be used as a punishment? 

Again - probably not going anywhere, but this is kind of creep and seems to serve no real purpose. 

Spoiler

Saving The Fishes

A resolution to increase the quality of the world's environment, at the expense of industry.

Category: Environmental

Industry Affected: Fishing

Proposed by: Hermt2.pngRegrinen

Knowing that certain species of fish are diminishing in an unbelievable rate

Realizing the consequences of extinction of several fishes because of fishes

And knowing that the masses are uneducated about the consequences of fishing to the ocean

the world assembly shall:

1)Approve or denie the liscesne to fish based on records on a person.
2) Give a $30 tax per 10 fishes that are considered endangered and critically endangered.
3) Restricting the amount of fishes that are caught to 1000 a day.
4) Illegalise dynamite fishing.
5) Illegalise the fishing of sharks for the sole purpose of their fins
6) Hire patrol guards to patrol the the sea for people fishing using dynamite 
7) A $500,00 fine to 5 years of prison depending of the amount of dynamite used
8) Illegalise fishing of fish parts and dumping the rest back into the water

Approvals: 6 (Volitopia, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, NovaTora, Markeyland, Bustium, ScotlandSerenity)

Remarkably detailed management of crime and punishment. And remarkably lacking in details of what constitutes "endangered" and "critically endangered" fish - but doesn't stop someone from fishing them. Also - and I admit I am no expert - but isn't 1000 fish a day quite a lot? 

While it would appear the heart of the proposal is in the right place, it could possibly do to be rewritten in a less prescriptive manner. 

Spoiler

The Anti-Terrorism Act Of The WA

A resolution to improve world security by boosting police and military budgets.

Category: International Security

Strength: Significant

Proposed by: Chadt2.pngLuchenstein

1. Do nation-wide inspections of major landmarks every 3 months to ensure no bombs are near the specified landmark.

2. Require all nations to upgrade to modern policing and military equipment to keep terrorism at a low.

3. Create the "TEG" (Terrorist Eradication Group) for each nation where any civillian can participate in the fight to eradicate terrorists.
a) Reward the said civillian for helping in the fight against terrorism.
B) Provide protection for said civillian to ensure that he may not be killed by a terrorist.

4. Completely take away any gun rights for anyone who has committed a crime that involved guns, or terrorism and check up on them to make sure they're not buying them underground.

5. Build defenses around the nation's leader's home, nearby landmarks, and places at risk of attack to protect them for terrorism.

Approvals: 12 (Neu GrossDeutschland, Irvane, Markeyland, World Peace and Prosperity, Altorthfnara, Trump Train Trump Train, Bolshevik Supremacy, Germanic Emipre, Wonderton, New Californiia, Canaveran Empire, Tribes of Europe)

Voting Ends: in 1 day 19 hours

Again - this proposal appears to have the right idea, but the entire method of implementation is a little........ odd. Having never been a terrorist myself, I can not be certain, but I would guess it does not take over three months to plant a bomb at a landmark and detonate it. So quite why that was the timescale picked to ensure the safety of every given landmark is beyond me. 

Clause 3 also baffles me a little, although again it does seem to be coming from a good place :)

Spoiler

Human Rights Brigade

A resolution to improve worldwide human and civil rights.

Category: Human Rights

Proposed by: Madeirat2.pngAetulia

The Wolrd Assembly, by the grace of God,
Concerned that there are many nations around the world that frequently abuse the civil rights of its citizens,
Realising the sufdering of these people can only end through intolerance of human rights abuses,
Having knoledge of acts of slavery in some nations around the world,
Believing that the very existence of slavery in some nations is based upon the fact that some governments are corrupt and do not care enough about citizens,
Hereby establishes the Human Rights Brigade, whose atributions are:
1. to routinely conduct researches and aquire knowledge concerning human rights abuses in the nations its enforcers are deployed;
2. to gather intelligence where slavers might be found, organise raids and free the enslaved citizens, only in agreement with both the WA and the nation's govermnent;
3. to report back to the WA if national govermments refuse to support salvery crack down;
4. to establish and ensure a better dialog between the WA and the national governments in matters concerning human rights.
In the end, concerning the Bridage's composition, its effectives will be represented by soldiers (to be named "enforcers") from any WA nation that wishes to take part in the assurance and international respect of human rights.

Another well meaning but utterly pointless proposal. Given that Slavery was abolished by a previous resolution, I am not sure that The WA needs an army of "ENFORCERS" to investigate and then launch raids into every nation to free slaves, even if those raids have the permission of the government of the said nation. Also the spelling makes me want to cry and the use of the phrase "by the grace of God" makes me want to throw up. 

Spoiler

Repeal: “Compliance Commission”

Resolution: GA#390

Proposed by: Vatican_Cityt2.pngBergonnia

General Assembly Resolution #390 “Compliance Commission” (Category: International Security; Strength: Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Bearing in mind the importance of compliance with WA legislations, and the necessity to ensure that compliance is followed by all.

Deeply concerned with the Compliance Commission resolution and it's infringement on the sovereignty of member states.

Desiring that the sovereignty of memeber states and their ability to control and command their own respective militaries and police forces is not infringed.

1. Calls appon memeber states to immediately repeal the Compliance Commison in order to allow memeber states to remain in full control of their security apparatus.

2. Condemns any action requiring memeber states to create and pay for WA programms.

3. Expresses its hope that a better way to ensure compliance with WA resolutions is found in the near future.

Approvals: 3 (De Dreamland, EndaTopia, Meepthorp)

Voting Ends: in 2 days 19 hours

Unless I have entirely misunderstood the Resolution in question, #390 does NOT take control of the military and police forces of member nations, but merely requires them to make themselves available to provide evidence in regard to crimes committed in the nation that might fall under the purview of #390. Which would render the repeal invalid, because Clause 1 has no bearing on the resolution?

Spoiler

The Right To A Free Trial

Strength: Strong

Proposed by: Russiat2.pngRussia and Poland

The right to a free trial, is one needed for a fair and balanced justice system so that the courts do not favor any person or entity.

This proposal would hereby make it illegal for judges to be bribed, or persuaded. All judges must have no connection whatsoever to the parties involved in said case. 
The jury would be composed of other everyday citizens of the same area (within 100 mile radius)

If nations do not comply, strict sanctions, and possibly internal political actions can be taken. All members of the World Assembly must comply. If hence members do not comply, previously said sanctions and political actions will be placed unto their nation.

Said Sanctions could include ban of import/exports to said nation, strict ban of immigration and emigration of said nation, immediate shutdown of any and all currency given to said nation, and ban of all travel to the nation. If nations do not comply to stated rules, said sanctions will placed unto their nation.

Approvals: 2 (Altorthfnara, Tribes of Europe)

Setting aside possible duplication issues (there have been so many repeals and resolutions it's hard to keep track) there are two main problems with this. Firstly - "make it illegal for judges to be persuaded" - while the intent of the text is clear, I would argue that the entire purpose of a trial is for a judge to be persuaded one way or the other by the evidence (I know that a jury usually makes the final decision, but the judge is the final arbiter in some cases and there are cases where there is no jury - for minor cases and so on). 

So - from a certain persnickety point of view - if you make it illegal for a judge to be persuaded - then you render it illegal to hold a trial. And - related to that - The text should read "All judges sitting on a case" because otherwise it would get confusing. 

The second problem is I have no idea if the sanction thing would work with any free trade resolutions or the like, how politics and judicial rules are supposed to fit together (If you don't return a verdict we like in this trial we will punish you politically?) 

While I understand the desire for free and fair trials, there are better ways...

Spoiler

Medical Drugs Act

Area of Effect: International Aid

Proposed by: germanic_emipre__765357t2.pngGermanic Emipre

The General Assembly,

This is a proposal to outlaw all hard drugs.

Drugs being outlawed following this proposal:
-Marijuana
-Cocaine/Crack

Drugs that won't be outlawed following this proposal:
-Cigares/Cigarettes/Pipes
-Chew Tobacco

KNOWING that there is such thing as people using "medical" drugs such as medical marijuana for cancer treatment.

ACKNOWLEDGING that some patients in hospitals use drugs on doctors orders.

The only people who will be allowed to use the drugs that are outlawed, are medical patients who use the drugs on doctors orders.

Approvals: 1 (Germanic Emipre)

I'd like to be neutral and independent, but since Cigarettes kill more people than Marijuana every year, I never quite understand why people insist on banning one and not the other.

So - as always - despite my general complete lack of interest in national sovereignty arguments (except for gun laws), I think I would apply it to this :) 

Spoiler

Cutting Down On Logging The Alternative

A resolution to increase the quality of the world's environment, at the expense of industry.

Industry Affected: Logging

Proposed by: apiexisis__680538t2.jpgApiexisis

The logging industry have been taxing the environment heavily. This proposal calls for the rationing down of logging and funding of scientific research for developing ice into a building material and log alternative.

Approvals: 6 (Germanic Emipre, New Californiia, Catorians, Hobbledehoybacteria-Union, Aisciai, Connorca)

Voting Ends: in 22 hours

Somewhat short and sweet and - grammar aside - very well defined. However, given the wide variety of nations and worlds in The WA (include desert nations without ice) it will probably fail to gain any support at vote if it ever gets there. And I am not sure it should - there are massive environmental problems, but building houses out of ice is probably not the way to fix them.

Spoiler

End Nuclear Issues And Begin Planetary Colonization

A resolution to slash worldwide military spending.

Category: Global Disarmament

Proposed by: Israelt2.pngPOLisacancer

The general Assembly

Recognizing that as long as nuclear weapons exist, there is a chance of their use in terrorism or nuclear war

Deploring mutually assured destruction as the only barrier against nuclear war.

Recognizing that these weapons have a tremendous amount of power that can be used for good

1. Asks all nuclear states to use their weapons to terraform Mars by deploying thermonuclear weapons on the poles, therefore creating liquid water and an atmosphere.

2. Asks that all parties fund a joint Mars mission

3. Rewards all nuclear states and other participants that cooperation
rate with a colony on Mars

I am pretty sure Mars has been colonised in Nation States already, and if The WA were to start bombing it there would almost certainly be all out war.So - on the whole - this is probably NOT a good idea.

Spoiler

Secure The Invaders

A resolution to restrict political freedoms in the interest of law and order.

Category: Political Stability

Proposed by: chesion_isle__190124t2.pngChesion Isle

This proposal recognizes that the invaders region has been a growing menace for the world assembly and recognizes simple condemnation from the security council has done nothing to void their attempts to destroy and invalidate entire regions, under this resolution the invaders or any other invading/hostile nation or region would be subject to suspension from the WA and its security council along with termination and or suspension from Nation States.

Approvals: 6 (Chesion Isle, Germanic Emipre, DACOROMANIA, Aisciai, Bolshevik Supremacy, Freycrest)

Voting Ends: in 1 day 10 hours

I am not even sure this is a valid GA resolution. My knowledge of the Security Council is sadly lacking (for which you can read non-existent) but shouldn't this be in there??

Spoiler

The Top Ten Precent

A resolution to reduce income inequality and increase basic welfare.

Category: Social Justice

Proposed by: pokemanland__702946t2.jpgPokemanland

Ban capitalism to nations that are taking advantage of it . It only benifits the top ten percent of people. It isn't right to make the rich richer and everyone else has to suffer

Approvals: 4 (SolomonsMines, Germanic Emipre, Androidica, Aisciai)

Voting Ends: in 1 day 10 hours

I am not certain The WA is empowered to ban capitalism - does the rule protecting ideologies extend to non governmental ideologies? (Which does lead me to a whole bunch of other questions about governmental ideologies vs financial ideologies, but that is a topic for another thread). 

I am not sure it is going anywhere, and while Calladan would support the idea behind this proposal, the proposal itself is just...... not one we could get behind.

Spoiler

Freedom Of The Flag

Strength: Mild

Proposed by: pigeontree__498314t2.jpgPigeontree

1. The World Assembly confers on all member states, organisations and individuals therein the right and entitlement to fly the flag of the World Assembly at any location and on any building or structure within the boundaries of the member state.

2. Said entitlement–

(a) shall not impinge on any local laws in the member state relating to the flying of flags or the prohibition thereof; and

(b) does not include the use of the aforesaid flag for any purpose intended to dishonestly or misleadingly suggest that the World Assembly endorses any particular organisation, individual, action or ideology.

Approvals: 8 (Sycamore Island, Tinhampton, SolomonsMines, Volitopia, Texas and Greater America, City-State of Czestochowa, Aisciai, Freycrest)

Voting Ends: in 1 day 22 hours

The first part of Clause Two makes it entirely optional as to whether The WA flag can be flown in a given nation or not. Which - from what I understand of the requirements of a proposal - means this is illegal. Unless Clause One ("The WA grants permission") makes it legal because it grants permission to all member nations?

This is entirely harmless, and does something for member nations. So - assuming it isn't illegal and doesn't get removed on those grounds - I would actually recommend supporting this and voting for it if it ever comes to a vote.

Spoiler

Repeal: “Diplomat Protection Act”

Resolution: GA#22

General Assembly Resolution #22 “Diplomat Protection Act” (Category: Furtherment of Democracy; Strength: Significant) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

In short, nobody should be above the law.

This Act effectively legalises the practice of diplomats travelling overseas and failing to respect, or even violating, the laws of their host nation.

Laws which are fair must apply to all.

Approvals: 3 (New-Blackacre, Triggered States of America, Aisciai)

Voting Ends: in 1 day 21 hours

While it is true that - in some, rare case Diplomats have done bad things and have failed to be punished for their transgressions, I think that the DPA (#22) serve an important role and should not be repealed unless a very, VERY good replacement can be drafted first. 

Spoiler

Gambling Age And Licence

A resolution to legalize or outlaw gambling.

Category: Gambling

Legalize/Outlaw: Outlaw

Proposed by: sociolist_new_garistan__210141t2.pngSociolist New Garistan

Gambling is a terrible activity that drains innocent human beings of there assets and decency. This proposal is for Gambling to be outlawed for anyone under the age of 35 years old and those people of 35 or older must posses a gambling license in order to be allowed to gamble.

Approvals: 1 (Aisciai)

Voting Ends: in 2 days 9 hours

Why 35? Is it 35 for every nation? What about nations where people only live for 21 years? What about nations where people live for 200 years? If the age was based on the nation (age of majority, age of something else) then it might make more sense, but a flat, arbitrary age seems ludicrous. 

Also - what is a gambling license? Can you lose it? How do you get it? Who gives it out? There is a somewhat marked lack of detail about the license.

Spoiler

Disarm Nuclear Nations

Proposed by: pokemanland__702946t2.jpgPokemanland

We are on the brink of an all out nuclear war. There are nations on the rmb talking about nuclear war with each other. This is not good. If a nuclear war does happen, some nations will not be prepared. Some nations have hundreds of nuclear weapons. Others have none. Nations with over one hundred nuclear weapons should disable them until they have one hundred active weapons. Nations with little or none need to start making them until the have one hundred. This will increase international security and give all nations a fair chance should there be a nuclear war.

This is just so much of a mess I don't know where to begin. Which Regional Message Board? Why 100? For a proposal named "DISARM NUCLEAR NATIONS" they are suggesting letting nations ARM themselves with nukes!!

Run! Run fast! Run long! RUN!!!

Spoiler

Trade Centres

A resolution to reduce barriers to free trade and commerce.

Category: Free Trade

Proposed by: tallin__768643t2.jpgTallin

Allows the establishment of "Trade Centres" in other nations

Defines Trade Centre as:

-An agreed apon plot of land in a different country, owned by a different country
-To clarify, this would be a deal between two nations
-This would be an area where a country can promote private business, or create "Fantastical Buildings", generally thought to be used as a trade centre within a country
-Generaly the laws in this "Trade Centre" are in the agreement, but it is assumed that free trade and commerce is allowed
-No army from either country is aloud in the "Trade Centre" and the "Main Country" is in charge of it (i.e. Polices it) and, if agreed, can pay reparation costs in crimes against it, but must in case of vandalism.
-If being used to build Fantastical Buildings, must pay rent
-If the "Main Country" or "Renting Country" find proof that the other is violating the above or agreed apon rules, they are aloud to send in police, and can bring the leader(s) in a national or international court for reparation costs, or just an end of agreement

Defines Main Country as:
-The country renting out/giving out the plot of land

Defines Renting Country as:
-The country renting/taking the piece of land

Defines Fantastical Buildings as:
-Any buildings being built by the government

---If a "Trade Centre" deal is canceled by the "Main Country" must pay reparation costs, but if it is canceled by the "Renting Country" they must go to an national or international court
-Obviously, if the deal is canceled, the territory is annexed by the "Main Nation"

Approvals: 6 (Chesion Isle, Texas and Greater America, Aisciai, Trump Train Trump Train, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, Triggered States of America)

I like the idea behind this one - it seems to be the same as setting up embassies or diplomatic buildings in foreign countries. No military forces (although the host country is permitted to police it) within the trade centres, and the renting country can do whatever they want within the area they have rented. 

The main flaw I can see is that there doesn't seem to be any detail as to whose laws govern the buildings and the trade area - it says that the laws are included in the agreement, but it could do with slightly more specificity. Also who has jurisdiction - if a crime is committed by someone from the renting nation in the trade area, is a crime against the renting nation or the host nation? (And so forth). 

Overall the idea is not that bad - it would help commerce between nations, increase global/international trade and so forth - but the lack of detail about the laws governing the area will be a problem.

Spoiler

Post-Game Recaps Should Be Banned

Proposed by: allianniantica__384071t2.pngAllianniantica

Dear General Assembly,
Do you want Post-Game Recaps banned? 
In his latest comic strip collection, Nate Wright thought that same thing.

Who the frickty-frack is Nate Wright?

Spoiler

Repeal: “Securing Nuclear Materials From Dastardly Menaces”

Resolution: GA#391

Proposed by: wallenburg__429483t2.jpgWallenburg

General Assembly Resolution #391 “Securing Nuclear Materials from dastardly Menaces” (Category: International Security; Strength: Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

The World Assembly,

Understanding the need for member states to remain capable of self defense,

Recognizing the right of member states to possess nuclear weapons,

Concerned that GAR#391 fails to adequately address the issue of nuclear arms production,

Recognizing that the text of GAR#391 is entirely identical to that of GAR#351, "Nuclear Materials Safeguards", which was repealed handily for glaring issues that persist in this iteration,

Disappointed that clause four of GAR#391 grants generous funds to aggressive and warlike nations, and that it may encourage them to further develop their nuclear arsenals at the expense of the World Assembly,

Aware that ambiguous references to the "wrong hands" only leave room for subjective and conflicting perspectives on which nations ought to have the right to possess nuclear weapons, contrary to the principle of existing legislation on that subject,

Hereby repeals GAR#391, "Securing Nuclear Materials From Dastardly Menaces".

Setting aside the fact the ink hasn't even dried on #391, I would disagree with the argument about "the wrong hands" because the purpose of that phrase was to allow nations to make up their mind one way or the other. While I am all for The WA deciding for nations on certain things "slavery bad", "social justice good" and so on, I think the idea of letting nations decide which other nations are "the wrong hands" is actually a good one.

Plus I am not a fan of repealing resolutions right after they pass - I'd like to give things thought!

Spoiler

Proposed by: Madeirat2.pngBraccara

General Assembly Resolution #391 “Securing Nuclear Materials from dastardly Menaces” (Category: International Security; Strength: Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

We are against any form of weapon, so we will not support any other resolution than the ones to forbid weapons and it's development.

Approvals: 2 (Tinhampton, New-Blackacre)

Voting Ends: in 2 days 21 hours

At least the previous one had some good reasons -- this one is just "We like nukes!" (which #391 doesn't ban). Also - it doesn't mention repealing it. 

Spoiler

Innovate A Solution Proposal

Proposed by: Scotlandt2.pngAlexandria Hamiltown

Government is well run when it is run by excellent people, however, excellent people are hard to come by. Studies have shown that innovation can boost a work forces morale and lead to a higher rate of ideas and solutions from all employees. I hereby propose that an Office of Personnel Management be enacted as a part of this council. The Office of Personnel Management will do the following:
1. Lead innovation courses and work vehemently with the leaders and people of this assembly to reach an innovative solution to problems otherwise impossible to solve 
2. Protect the people and workers of all countries, essentially it is a workers union but more powerful, if a large group of workers is being treated unfairly, they will come to OPM
3. The Office of Personnel Management will have no one leader, it will have four executives and hopefully a large number of employees. All employees will be required to abide by ethical rules.

Let's progress to a better future, help create the Office of Personnel Management.

Approvals: 0

I am not certain this should come under Human Rights - Clause Two seems to suggest Social Justice (since it seems to be an attempt to form a massive, WA wide union), Clause 1 seems to be about trade and industry while Clause 3 doesn't seem to be about anything in particular (and is remarkably vague about by what rules they will required to abide).

This is another one of those proposals of which I like the general idea, but the actual implementation is a bit vague and fluffy. And I suspect that Clause 2 - the massive, WA wide employee's union is going to screw it with some of the less liberal nations.

Spoiler

Proposed by: sociolist_new_garistan__210141t2.pngSociolist New Garistan

My proposal is for people to be allowed to produce nuclear power again and weapons for the purpose of defense and power

The third out of four repeals. It also doesn't mention repeals and is another "WE WANT OUR NUKES!" proposal. And - just to pile on - seems to be wanting to write new legislation in a repeal, which I am fairly sure is against the rules. Oh - and #391 doesn't stop you making nukes.

Spoiler

Proposed by: Nigeria.pngZeneith state

its best to have a weapon of such because it deters tyrant who has evil plans towards the small countries because of the numbers of soldiers they posses what we should be saying is how we are going to make sure its in the right hands and to create a universal body to control it use if not that then war in general should be stopped

The fourth and last of the repeals - and it also doesn't mention actually repealing the shiny new resolution. And also - by the way - #391 doesn't prevent member states from building weapons so I have no idea why this person thinks it does.

(Firstly I am typing on a keyboard I am not used to, so if any typos creep in, please forgive me)

Spoiler

Repeal: “Right To Sexual Privacy”

Resolution: GA#383

General Assembly Resolution #383 “Right to Sexual Privacy” (Category: Human Rights; Strength: Significant) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

This legislation risks impinging on the moral decency of member nations by restricting their abilities to outlaw sexual practices which some may consider to be deviant or immoral.

As an example, the legislation forces member nations to legalise certain forms of incestuous behaviour since it specifies that sexual activity can only be proscribed "to the extent that such sexual activity could result in procreation". This means that incest which could not result in procreation – for example anal intercourse or sex between relatives where one or the other is infertile – cannot be outlawed in any member nation.

As a further example, the legislation fails to specify to which species it relates and therefore fails to make any provision concerning acts such as bestiality, and in so doing effectively requires that member nations allow their citizens to have sexual intercourse with animals.

While it is clear that some nations will be happy to accept such acts as those above, it is equally the case that some will not. Forcing member nations to do so risks causing moral and societal instability within those nations.

There is also a significant imbalance in the legislation, since while it forbids member nations from outlawing acts such as those above, it also allows member nations to outlaw, for example, sex between an employer and employee.

It is therefore hereby proposed that "Right to Sexual Privacy" be struck out.

So I re-read the original resolution that this is endeavouring to repeal, and it turns out that - incest aside - the concerns about bestiality could possibly be justified. There is nothing in there that limits this to single species sex. I understand the argument is that some nations have multiple sapient species (elves and dwarves in Middle-Earth for example) and if you write a blanket ban prohibiting sex between them, then there would be chaos. 

HOWEVER one of the clauses has a very specific requirement about age of consent, and the vast majority of nations do not have ages of consent for non-sapient beings, meaning that it would be illegal for those animals to consent and therefore they would not be covered by this resolution anyway. So I am not certain that that can be considered a problem big enough for this to be repealed over. And given the multi-sapient-species issue that this protects, I think it is probably not something that should be considered.

Spoiler

Proposal To Limit Unnecessary Industrial Logging

Industry Affected: Logging

Proposed by: bergonnia__493647t2.jpgBergonnia

OBSERVING the importance of forests in the global ecosystem in regards to regulation of many diverse ecosystems, assistance in combating climate change with natural and effective "carbon sinks", and natural protectors of hillsides and mountains against erosion that could cause loss of human life

DEEPLY CONCERNED with the unrestricted clear cutting of forests by member states in an attempt to gain further wealth, at the expense of other nations who's environments dictate ways of life

DEEPLY DISTURBED by the blatant disregard for the impact of major deforestation on the planet, as well as by the continued inaction by the international community

FULLY AWARE of the sovereignty of each and every member state of this august body, and the importance of maintain the rights of all member states

GUIDED BY the knowledge and understanding that continued stability of the global environment supersedes the sovereignty of individual states, as the environment affects all member sates

1.CALLS UPON all member states to start implementing restrictions on the logging industry so that forests are protected against unnecessary logging;

2.ACCEPTS the importance of wood items for traditional art and traditional buildings and the neccesity of wood in some architectural practices;

3. REMINDS member states of the existence of more modern, stronger, and longer lasting materials such as composite alloys, stone, plastics, and more that are in many cases cheaper and easier to produce, with limited environmental impact;

4. ENDORSES recent efforts by member states to move away from Lumber based architecture in favor of more sustainable forms of buildings;

5. CALLS all member states to limit lumber harvests to no more than 100 acres of land per year for industrial uses, with no imposed limits for the wood uses of traditional art work and architectures;

6. EXPRESSES ITS HOPE for the passage of this resolution and the continued protections of this planet that we all live in and utilize for our well being.

While I can't see any reason not to support this - it does make some good arguments (although it is a little earth-centric in its thinking), it makes no mention of sustainable forests and replanting and so forth. In Calladan, when we hack down thousands of trees, we replant them a few months later with new trees. 

As I said, it seems a little bit planet bound (because while I can imagine that Calladan cutting down hundreds of trees would affect the nations that border our borders..... not my best sentence ever, I admit, I can't imagine it affecting a space-based empire several thousand light years away) I would pretty much say this could go either way.

Spoiler

Rights Of Mine Workers

A resolution to develop industry around the world.

Category: Advancement of Industry

Area of Effect: Labor Deregulation

Proposed by: united_sates_of_merica__291677t2.jpgUnited Sates of Merica

Releasing workers in tin,copper,coal and other mines from forced membership in Unions.
Allowing miners to bring in there own equipment (i.e. picks, hammers, ) and clothing materials(i.e. uniforms, gloves, hard hat.)
Safer conditions: removal of rotting wooden post's, replacement of rusting tracks and carts, higher grade tracks and carts, removal of unsafe lighting systems (replacing them with higher grade ones) ample protection from rain, precautionary dikes to decrease flooding, pest control(extermination of rats and other pests), mosquito nets, safe elevator system, removal of rusting hose nozzles, clean water tanks, proper eye protection, high grade and proper welding tools and eye wear.
Ample pay according to number of hours clocked in by each worker, payed sick leaves, and ample Health Insurance.
Proper showering rooms: Removal of rusting shower heads, removing mold, and putting proper body soaps in showers.
Requiring adequate restroom conditions: hiring and paying of janitors, requiring that janitors are payed according to ability and effort , removal of inadequate toilets, keeping toilet paper well stocked, soap well stocked, and paper towels well stocked.
Fair reviewing of applications, regardless of race or gender.
Compliance with health resolutions.
Hiring of able mechanics to replace rusting materials and fix broken machines.
This resolution hereby establishes the rights mine workers have which have been already stated above.

The general goals of this are very laudable indeed, but it is SO badly written I initially had trouble working out where the proposal began and the preamble ended, before I realised THERE WAS NO PREAMBLE. 

So - yeah. Despite being a huge union lass myself, I can not suggest supporting this because it is just such a mess. And very, very, very specifically written. I am not sure The WA should be writing laws to ensure that Paper Towels are kept well stocked in bathrooms in mines.

Spoiler

Establishment Of The Olympian Games

A resolution to promote funding and the development of education and the arts.

Category: Education and Creativity

Area of Effect: Educational

Proposed by: United_Kingdomt2.pngAshIsland

Aware of the mission of the World Assembly to bring the international community together

Convinced that the international community needs a form of friendly competition in order to promote peace and cooperation

1. Establishes the Olympian Games as a competition of the sports and knowledge that shall be held every 5 years starting from 2020

2.Creates the International Sports Federation (will be referred to as the ISF from now on) with the International Sports Federation Committee (ISFC) as the main governing body to 
a) Select the competitions that shall be held at the next Olympian Games, the dates of the Games, as well as the rules that apply for each competition
B) Select the nation that wishes to host the Olympian Games based on the abilities of the nation as well as the requirements that will be set by the ISF
c) Designates reserved powers to the ISF to do as they need to fulfill the needs of a successful games as long as the host nation consents to the changes by the ISF
d) Sets the requirements for membership and chairmanship to be decided by a temporary Olympian Committee that shall be dissolved once the ISF is created by 1st July 2017
e) Recognizes the right of the ISF to set requirements and standards for nations, athletes, and mediators if they wish to participate in the Games

3. Defines athlete, mediator, and spectator for the sake of this resolution only and does not apply to other instances of international law
a) An athlete is any person that is competing in an Olympian Games sponsored event. 
B) A mediator is an Olympian Games sponsored official who is responsible for running the Games (examples include judges, janitors, officials, towel handlers, etc)
c) A spectator is a person who wishes to use Olympian Games property for any legal reasons such as viewing an event, using the bathroom, etc

4. Requires that nations wishing to hold and/or compete in the Olympian Games accept all of the costs associated with the Games (including monetary, training, etc), necessities for Olympian athletes, mediators, and spectators, as well as any other issues that arise when getting ready for the Olympian Games

5. Asks the ISF to set a standard of basic human rights and necessities that must be guaranteed for athletes, spectators, and mediators with the resolutions passed by the World Assembly as a basis

6. Reaffirms that nations shall not be forced to take part in the Olympian Games but shall compete on the basis of choice

7. Creates an Olympian Games Fund that shall draw money from member nations (as donations only) and corporations (who wish to sponsor the Games) to help the host nation pay ONLY for the costs associated with the games and require a report of the spending of the funds to prevent and punish mismanagement

8. Mandates that nations must be willing to accept loss and/or victory in a positive manner at the Games

9. Rewards athletes and nations that win 1st, 2nd and 3rd place with rewards deemed appropriate (such as medals, monetary prizes, etc) through the Olympian Victory Fund as a subfund of the Olympian Games Fund

10. Requires that all athletes, mediators, and spectators follow the laws of the host nation and ISF as a sign of courtesy and respect

11. Allows the ISFC to set rules, the symbol, anthem, and headquarters of the ISF with consent (from any involved parties)

12. Requests that nations support international peace and cooperation when joining the Olympian Games and take part in friendly competition only

I've made my view of this known on the main forum already. Essentially imagine me, with a HUGE flag with the word "NO" on it in giant letters. 

it's not the proposal per-se, but the idea that I am going to spend billions of coins to train someone to run very fast so they can win a bit of metal to put around their neck. And then every so often I can pay billions more coins to go in to debt to host this idiotic festival of running very fast so other countries can send their citizens to win bits of metal to go around their neck.

It is the single stupidest idea and the biggest waste of time in the history of the world. And as a cost/benefit ratio, I would rather take the money, set it on fire and invite all the homeless in Calladan to sit around the fire, because at least then they would get some warmth out of it. 

Having said that - if you like watching people run very fast, throw things a long way and sit on the back of dancing horses - knock your self out. (Please - I am being quite literal here).

Spoiler

Right To Protest

Proposed by: malden_atoll__802429t2.pngMalden Atoll

Recognising that some nations still suppress protest,
Realising that the freedom of assembly is a basic human right,
Aware that some protest might be violent,

Declares 
1. Every WA member must allow peaceful protest, without discrimination, if it doesn't create a risk to public safety.
2. All protest can be followed by the police to keep the peace, but must not interfere not violent protest.
3. Organisers or any other law-abiding citizen must not be hold accountable for the actions of any violent protester.

Approvals: 5 (AshIsland, Tinhampton, United Sates of Merica, Bustium, Volitopia)

Without reading through previous resolutions, wouldn't this more or less be implicitly covered by previous resolutions? 

If it isn't, then it could do to be slightly tidied up (there are a few prepositions missing in places which could lead to ambiguity and confusion when it comes to prosecution and court cases) and Clause 1 - depending on how open minded the government it - could pretty much prevent EVERY protest from being held (see the next paragraph) - but aside from that the general idea is good.

"....if it doesn't create a risk to public safety" -- depending on the size of the protest, and where it is being held, and what it is, nearly EVERY gathering of people can be a risk to public safety. If you have a protest march down the high street, it will block ambulances, stopping them getting to where they are needed. Which is a risk to public safety. If you have two hundred people meeting in a park, there is a MAJOR risk of trampling and panic if someone yells "FIRE" - which is a risk to public safety. 

(You get the idea).

Spoiler

Creation Of Observer States

Proposed by: orchestralia__741222t2.jpgOrchestralia

- An Observer State is defined as a state that is given the privilege to participate in government activities without member status.

- Observer States are allowed to voice their opinion and have their vote count in the General Assembly, but may not vote in the Security Council.

- An Observer State can become a full member state if they wish, all they have to do is apply to be a full member.

- 

Approvals: 3 (Tinhampton, The Confederacy of the Republic, AshIsland)

I don't even know what the hell this is supposed to do. You want to be a member of The WA without suffering the effects? How would that even work? Even setting aside the game mechanics and coding issues, it's the most idiotic thing I have ever heard.

You can take part in the forum discussions whether you join The WA or not - Arunkur (apologies for the spelling?) has proved that. But that nation doesn't get a vote (a puppet version might, but that is beside the point). 

You can't have a vote but not get to suffer the consequences - that would just allow an entire block of nations to come in and screw every single vote if they wanted to.

And I thought the Olympic Games proposal was the dumbest one I would see today.

Spoiler

Repeal: “Right To Sexual Privacy”

Resolution: GA#383

Proposed by: sovietzkia__888064t2.pngSovietzkia

General Assembly Resolution #383 “Right to Sexual Privacy” (Category: Human Rights; Strength: Significant) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

"Right To Sexual Privacy'' shall hence forth be struck null and void.
UNDERSTANDING that the sexual privacy of individuals or lake thereof, is the responsibility of individual nations and no the WA
BELIEVING that this act limits the ability of nations to regulate immoral sexual actions, such as incestuous relations and exploitation of vulnerable groups like children and disabled people
ASKING that the WA give nations back the right to regulate such things to prevent the immoral actions mentioned and their ability to regulate other sexual actions due to differing cultural, social, and religious norms.

More people who want to stick their noses into my sex life. They are playing the incest card again, but this time they apparently also want to stop disabled people having sex. 

It won't surprise you to learn I do not think this is a good idea, because even if they hadn't mentioned "religious norms" at the end I am still not one for letting the state have the final say on what is right and wrong when it is consenting adults who are doing the foo-foo-nasty. 

And - since I have spent the past three days with my mother, who was a teacher for most of her life, and drilled correct grammar in to my head from quite an early age - I do feel compelled to point out that the last clause should read "Asking that the WA gives nations back", because The World Assembly is a single entity, much like you or I am, and if I were to say "asking that Tara McGill give back her puppy" it would just sound odd.

Which has nothing to do with the repeal, it just bugged me when I read it (like I said - three days with my mother). 

Spoiler

Restrictions On Nuclear Weapons

A resolution to tighten or relax gun control laws.

Category: Gun Control

Decision: Tighten

Proposed by: Marshall_Islandst2.pngCompound Light Microscope

Understanding that Nuclear Weapons are commonly used throughout the world.
Understanding that some nations get power and respect from the amount of nuclear weapons the said nation/territory has in possession.
Disappointed that the usage of storing or using nuclear weapons has many negative effects on health and the environment.
1) All nations of the WA should form a committee to determine how many nuclear weapons a country/territory may have in order to satisfy both sides of this conflict.
2)Any nation/territory witnessing a violation if this proposal is passed must report it and the nation/territory in violation with this proposal if passed will have their nuclear arms rights taken away.
3)Studies shall be collected and presented before the WA Assembly in order to make sure that the environment and health will not be severely affected by the nuclear arms. 
4)The studies will be performed by the top doctors and scientists in order for the WA to have the most accurate data.

Hereby hoping to create a compromise between the nations/territory that are for or against nuclear arms.

Hopefully the last of the recent batch of Nuclear Weapons proposals, at least for the time being. Given that the repeal of #10 failed, I suspect this is probably not going anywhere either. Despite the fact that #10 doesn't seem to restrict the ability of The WA to limit the number of missiles a nation can have (except that it can't limit the number to 0) I am not convinced this proposal is the right way to go about it. Also Clause 2 is CLEARLY in violation of Resolution #10 since it overrides the right of a nation to hold nuclear weapons.

Spoiler

Legalize Marijuana

A resolution to ban, legalize, or encourage recreational drugs.

Category: Recreational Drug Use

Decision: Legalize

Proposed by: Belizet2.pngTizen

REALIZING that marijuana does not cause harm to you or others if you are over the age of 25

UNDERSTANDING that marijuana is actually good for you as long as you are over 25

AND HEREBY legalizes the sale, medical/recreational use of the drug marijuana.

Setting aside the huge number of nations that will oppose this on general NatSov issues, there is a MASSIVE logical problem in this proposal - the first two clauses mention a given age limit, however the active clause (which is the only one that really matters when it comes to passing a law) DOESN'T MENTION THE AGE LIMIT. So - as a result - this would legalise the sale and use of the drug for anyone of any age, even those under the given age. 

(Also - given the varying lifespans throughout The WA - 25 is kind of arbitrary).

Spoiler

Promoting Quality Education Towards Economic Growth

Proposed by: Philippinest2.pngSantos

Recognizing the role of education towards the achievement of Economic Growth in a country.

Reaffirming the right of everyone towards quality education.

This Resolution aims to;

1. Urges all States to give full effect to the right to education by, inter alia, complying with their obligations to respect, protect and fulfill the right to education by appropriate means.

2. Also urges all States to expand educational opportunities for all without discrimination, recognizing the significant importance of investment in public education to the maximum of available resources, to increase and improve domestic and external financing for education and to strengthen engagement with all relevant stakeholders, including communities, local actors and civil society, to contribute to education as a public good;

3. Further urges all States to regulate and monitor education providers and to hold accountable those whose practices have a negative impact on the enjoyment of the right to education, and to support research and awareness-raising activities to better
understand the wide-ranging impact of the commercialization of education on the enjoyment of the right to education;

4. Calls upon States to take all necessary measures, including sufficient budgetary allocations, to ensure inclusive, equitable and non-discriminatory quality education, and to promote learning opportunities for all, paying particular attention to girls,
marginalized children and persons with disabilities;

5. Stresses the importance of international cooperation, including financial assistance and exchange of good practices, as well as technical cooperation, capacity building and technology transfer on mutually agreed terms, in the realization of the right to
education, including through the use of information and communications technology;

6. Calls upon States to continue to make efforts to strengthen the protection of preschools, schools and universities against attacks;

The first of three proposals dealing with education (which seems to have replaced nuclear weapons as the hot button topic for the time being - not sure if that is a good or bad thing). As proposals go it is not all that bad - a tad wordy and overly explanatory in places, and the phrase "the enjoyment of the right to education" is overused to the point of abuse in some places. However the basic aims seem to be more or less acceptable :- it isn't calling for free education for everyone (and so isn't shutting out private education for those who can afford it and those who want it for their children or themselves), it isn't requiring the state to pay for everything (thus pissing off the people who think that people should pay for their own education) but isn't dismissing the idea that the state can pay for everything (thus pissing off people who think private education is the work of satan), it is requiring ALL educational establishments to be held to account and to the same standards (so that private schools can't get away with being crap and state schools can't be closed down because people think they are crap - unless they are crap in which case they can be made to do better). 

As I said - my only real complaint is that for a proposal about education it is not all that clear and concise and Clause 6 seems to be attempting to include all potential targets but in doing so misses out colleges, academies and potentially other types. This isn't really a flaw, more of a comment.

Spoiler

The Figure Future

Proposed by: oovid__502533t2.pngOoVid

Introduction: 
This proposal binds the foresight of a figure future, which we the law makers enact to forge a future that is as crystal as a clean water not as dark as crude. Have we ever wondered how our future will be without technology which education drew us closer too? Today we will not be sitting behind our computers and punching, through the internet. Education gave us this breakthrough and we shall thank it of this.
Further more this brings us to s future where we have to decide if we can view it as a blur figure or as a clear digital imagery.
Therefore, i propose the following below. ( It shall be noted that people must have had this already in mind or have tried to shine light on it).

1. All children young, home or street living SHOULD be entitled to free education.
2. University and collages of education MUST ensure that every student is acquainted with ICT, computer science or its equivalent.
3. Nations SHOULD consider increasing education budget.
4. Nations CAN choose to indoctrinate or allow teachers to teach freely.
5. Primary, High Schools, Collages, Universities SHOULD conform to much higher standards of education.
7. University lectures MUST have a Phd.
8. High school teachers must have a least a Masters degree.
9. Schools MUST have state of the art facilities to enhance education.
10. Schools MUST or SHOULD be located at a more quiet and conducive areas, to facilitate active learning and participation.
11. Schools SHOULD port to the digital or paperless office.

With these few proposals, i do hope that you intellectuals of great honor will agree with me that, a future with qualiuty education will very much prevail in peace, harmony and progress. 
Thanks.

Firstly - I have no clue what the title of the proposal means. I have read the preamble three times and it sounds like something someone would say at an existential poetry reading. Whether that is a good or a bad thing I will leave up to you to decide.

Secondly - the spelling, capitalisation and general grammar is somewhat questionable in places. Whether that is because English is not the first language of the proposer, or because of typos, or for some other reason, I don't know.

But - that aside - this is still a relatively bad proposal.

Clause 1 requires children to be given a free education, but does not specify what "a child" is - as in how long this education has to go on for (infant, junior, senior, sixth form, university). 

Clause 2 requires students to be "acquainted with" computer science, but does not specify to what degree that applies. Do they need to learn how to code? How to use Word? How to turn a computer on? What if they NEVER intend to use a computer in their chosen profession?

Clause 3 is optional, so doesn't really matter. Ditto to Clause 4 (although oddly it is about the only Clause I approve of).

Clause 5 is incredibly vague - "much higher" than what? Their neighbours? Than they do now? Than the average? Than the best in The WA? 

Clause 6 appears to have been lost somewhere. Which for a proposal about education is kind of embarrassing.

Clauses 7 & 8 might bankrupt some of the institutions in question. And while I am all for having qualified teachers teaching our children, I am not convinced that these requirements are absolutely necessary.

Clause 9 would almost certainly bankrupt the schools - if they need to keep at a "state of the art" level, they would have to improve every single year. I am kind of a technology freak at times, but even I don't replace my computer every year - my interface to The WA is seven years old and it serves me well. If a school has a thousand students (which is not beyond reason) then it might have a library with 200 computers. Replacing each one of those every six months would cost hundred of thousands of Coins - it's just not doable by any stretch of the imagination. 

Clause 10 would (optionally) make it a nightmare for parents to send their children to school. We build schools near to towns and villages because that's where the kids are. We don't build them out in the middle of nowhere because that's not where the kids are. If we put a school in the middle of nowhere, we have to run a bus service (or two, or three, or four or maybe more) to get the kids to and from school. And then if we run after school clubs we'd have to run maybe a dozen bus services BACK at night. Which would be prohibitively expensive. 

Instead we choose to build the school closer to the children so the children can get to the school easier. 

Clause 11 - meh. Given the litigious society we are moving into, permission slips from parents - paper slips - are the best evidence we have that little Becky Mienhiemer was given permission to go to Calladan Zoo and the fact she was eaten by the giant panda was not our fault - it was her mother's. So I am not convinced schools should move to a paperless office.

All in all - as you have probably guessed - I am not a fan of this proposal.

Spoiler

A Resolution For The Preservation Of Future Generati

Proposed by: emboabas__130363t2.pngEmboabas

Considering that everyone has the right to an ecologically balanced environment, a common use of the people and essential to a healthy quality of life, imposing on Nations Nations and the community the duty to defend and preserve it for present and future generations .
To ensure the effectiveness of this right, it is incumbent upon all WA members;

A) Promote sustainable environmental development;
B) Preserve the diversity and integrity of the fauna and flora of the respective Territories;
C) Protect species of animals threatened with extinction;
(D) monitor the production, marketing and use of techniques, methods and substances which are at risk to life, quality of life and the environment;
E) Promote environmental education at all levels of education and public awareness for the preservation of the environment.

Approvals: 5 (Volitopia, Tenuio, Railadon, Great Leeston, World Peace and Prosperity)

I am guessing the title was meant to say "Generations" because otherwise I am forced to ask what a Generati is? (Is it like Literati? Maserati? Who knows?)

The preamble is kind of confusing (for which you can read "complete bollocks") and while Clause A, B, C and E kind of make sense and do have some logic behind them, Clause D is back to being complete bollocks (it asks us to monitor the product of methods which are at risk to life? What kind of sentence is that?) although this might be due to English not being the first language of the proposer.

Also - I have no clue what this has to do with healthcare given it is all about the environment.

So while I like the idea behind it, the actual proposal is a train wreck.

Spoiler

Every Child Has A Right To Free Education

Proposed by: North_Koreat2.pngChernari

Every Child has a right to learn and understand the mordern world and all it has to offer.

1) All Memebers of the WA must enforce this right within a year. All that do not will have sanctions. (Unless the country's economic standing cannot support it then we may offer financial aid)

2) Cut off years 3-18, 18+ must pay for further education.

3) Students below the poverty line will have their school essentials supplied by the government/dictator/monarch etc.

I hope you see the good faith as much as i do.

The third of the education ones, and despite the branding, bad writing and ludicrous age limits, not the worst. 

It's still bad and needs quite a lot of work and in no way suitable for consideration, but compared to the previous one (see my huge list of flaws with that one) it is actually almost well thought out. 

However - the time limit option probably makes it illegal (WA resolutions become legal at once as far as I know), and the idea that if you break the law you get aid, but if you are rich you get sanctions is never going to fly with some of the more conservative members of The WA (conservative with a small "c" that is). 

The age limits will prove problematic with nations who have excessively long/short life spans, and the WA members who actively oppose socialism and socialist policies are going to look at Clause 3 and giggle hysterically (or throw things!).

So while it kind of has the right idea - ensuring children get a good education - it is going the wrong way about it. 

Spoiler

The International Immigration Standard

Proposed by: bestnationevar__831463t2.jpgBestNationEvar

The World Assembly,

Observing the importance of immigration in an interconnected world;

Aware of the risks associated with immigration without proper identification to citizens of accepting countries;

Noting that some nations may be pressured into adjusting their immigration policy to conform to nations around them;

Hereby:

1. Defines, for the purpose of this resolution:

a) "immigrant" as someone who is residing or is trying to reside in a country in which they are a non-citizen

B) "immigration" as the process of a person changing residency to another country

2. Establishes a member nation's right to accept or refuse immigrants from any nation without need to explain to the international community,

3. Forbids member nations from demanding others to adjust their immigration policy through economic or militaristic coercion

4. Mandates that member nations that opt to refuse immigrants provide transport back to their country of origin or another accepting country
a) Many immigrants who leave their home country, do not have the means to transport themselves both to and from their destination
B) Immigrant transport standards must be on the same level as mainstream civilian transport
c) Immigrants have the choice to either return to their home country or be transported to another accepting country. The immigrant themselves decides which of the two that they would like to go to if rejected.

5. Requires member states to establish an immigration policy that citizens of other nations can access
a) Official policy statements cut down on logistical misunderstandings and saves immigrants the time and the money of a meaningless trip.

Voting Ends: in 3 days 8 hours

So - here's the thing. I don't like this proposal. It allows for indiscriminate bigotry, xenophobia and racism to be enacted and enshrined in WA law and it passes itself off as doing it under the guise of formalising something that already exists. I also have my suspicions about why the author has proposed and submitted it, but since they are only suspicions, I won't make them public (but go to the WA/GA forum and look at his flag and you might get an idea of what my suspicions are). 

Anyway - I intend to try to launch a legal challenge against it, on the grounds that it violates The Civil Rights Charter (or whatever the resolution is called?) and that Clause 4 arguably violates Refugee Rights to a certain extent, but I am not sure how far that will get. 

And I know that even if this passes, I don't have to pay any attention to it, because Clause 2 says that the policy for my nation is up to me. But quite honestly I do not think The WA should be in the business of normalising this kind of intolerance and bigotry in law, and I would be very grateful if everyone could just ignore this and let it die a death. 

Thank you :) 

(I will get back to talking about other proposals forthwith, but I wanted to bring this up right away).

Spoiler

Repeal: “Foreign Patent Act”

Resolution: GA#388

Proposed by: Belizet2.pngTizen

General Assembly Resolution #388 “Foreign Patent Act” (Category: Free Trade; Strength: Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Noting that the Foreign Patent Act is ineffective.

Further Noting that the Foreign Patent Act has it written that a nation can opt-out of this act at their will, which gives the act no reason to exist in the first place, as nations can simply not follow it at their will.

Observing that the Foreign Patent Act does address what it's intention was

Hoping that after this repeal a better resolution will be passed on the matter of Foreign Patents and Trademarks

The World Assembly hereby,
Repeals General Assembly Resolution #388, Foreign Patent Act, by striking it null and void.

Approvals: 15 (Tizen, Geburtstag, Pu4GatoRy, Unitita, DA tEMmiE naTiON, Garnata, Arenea, New Quanta, Imperial Lands of Thenn, Envorland, Frelium, Electrona, Vardian Empire, Rhemm, Republia Nova)

I have to confess, I have no clue if The FPA is good or bad. So, quite honestly, I have no idea whether repealing it would be wise or crazy making. But given that it replaced something that had been previously repealed, I would imagine it probably had more upsides than down. Plus - as a rule - I am not a big fan of repeals, especially not ones that are filed so soon after the resolutions pass. 

Spoiler

March For Equality

Proposed by: Switzerlandt2.pngMonionia Dray

We believe that all, no matter their sex, race, or religion, have the right to life, possession, and expression.

Each person will receive rations, a basic income, and housing so that none are without, and are equal.

Each will receive a card that will show basic information and will have access to either a public computer if they are out and about or at home on their regular computer.

This card will also show the equalist symbol which is an equal sign within a heart, as well as a number which they will use to receive rations and income. This card number will also be used to access the government website wherein they will be able to add contacts as well as message those within their contacts and access their information.

Needed services are tended to by volunteers who are trained for this position.

I propose all nations under the World Assembly undergo the changes specified above.

Approvals: 6 (DA tEMmiE naTiON, Garnata, Volitopia, Of the Democratic Party, Vardian Empire, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons)

While Calladan is a huge believer in equality, and in socialism (to one degree or another), this is never going to work and is written in such a confusing way that it could be interpreted as requiring nations to do FAR more than the author intends.

The second line especially could be ludicrously troublesome - in that it demands people are given housing so that "all are equal". Depending on how this is read, it could mean that EVERY citizen requires a house (even each member of a married couple who want to live together) and that all houses must be equal (which given that My Tri-Arch lives in what is essentially an armed fortress for security purposes would either require her to live in a basic council flat, or would require everyone to live in an armed fortress).

The third line implies there will be a computer in every home, which is not necessarily true. Some people might not be able to afford one, some people object to computers. 

Supplying rations, rather than allowing people to buy their own food (using the basic income) will be problematic :- dietary requirements (both medical and religious) would need to be stored on a central database for the provision of the rations, which is - arguably - a gross invasion of privacy. 

As is storing contacts on a central government database -- I have no idea what that is about or why it is included in a proposal about basic human welfare and equality. It just smacks of huge government oversight which I have no implicit argument against but doesn't seem to be relevant to this specific proposal (or category).

So - all in all - no.

Spoiler

Promote Free Skies Worldwide

Proposed by: Russiat2.pngRussia and Poland

All Airlines contained within our Earth shall be allowed to land and takeoff in any nation, granted if they are deemed safe by the International Civil Aviation Organization

If countries do not comply their right to "Free Skies" shall be taken and their airlines shall not be able to buy aircraft from countries beside their own, and said planes must pass International Civil Aviation Organization testing. If their aircraft made in their nation passes they must pay a monthly fee to the nation and pay a monthly fee of 5,000 United States Dollars.

Approvals: 3 (Of the Democratic Party, Desmoni, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons)

This doesn't make ANY concession to nations at war, nations that are unfriendly to each other and so on. If Calladan and Misthaven are at war, then we might want to refuse Misthaven aircraft the right to land in Calladan - or at least refuse them the right to land at civilian airports where the security might not be ready to deal with them. 

I am not sure if The ICAO already exists, nor it is entirely clear if the second half of the clause applies to the airlines or the nations (dangling modifiers are fun when used in jokes, but they are less fun when they cause potential confusion in international law). 

And the second paragraph just makes it even more confusing :- If you don't comply then you can't buy aircraft from other countries (for some reason) but you can build planes as long as they pass testing (and it isn't made clear if the testing is the same as the Free Skies compliance). When the aircraft does pass, then someone has to pay a fee to the nation (and at this point I admit I have no clue who is paying what nation) a yearly fee that amounts to over half a million dollars a year - although it isn't clear if this is per aircraft, per airline or per nation (and if it is per aircraft then it is probably MORE than the aircraft costs to make.......)

Suffice to say - I am not a fan of this proposal.

Spoiler

Universal Care Act

Proposed by: United_States_of_Americat2.pngThe Nation of the People of the Nation

The General Assembly,

Appalled by the healthcare some nations are providing to their citizens the nation The Republic of The Nation of the People of the Nation would like to propose to the GA to make good quality healthcare a right of all citizens.

Recognizing that some nations might be opposed to this project I have made it as non intrusive as possible without sacrificing care..

Deciding that something must be done, this is the bill we propose to improve healthcare.

Section 1: Individual Healthcare

Code 1: Everybody must get healthcare through their nation.
Code 2: The government may not give better quality healthcare for some but not for others.
Code 3: The health care provided must be of acceptable quality. See section 2 for more details. 
Code 4: The nations must have a doctor/GP ratio of at least 8:1
Code 5: The nations must have at least enough hospital space for 15% of the population at any one time.

Section 2: Quality of Healthcare

Code 6: The healthcare must at least cover emergency, birth, cancer, preventive, surgical, and ambulance services.
Code 7: The WA Office of Health shall be established to ensure quality among member nations.

Therefore this proposal will benefit all people of the world through furtherment of healthcare.
Thank you.

Approvals: 1 (Vardian Empire)

Along with equality and socialism, Calladan definitely supports "socialised medicine" (which we call our State Healthcare System - something we are very proud of). However we understand there are some other nations that might not be as forward thinking as we are and might still think a state funded healh-care-system would include death panels and babies being sacrificed for the good of the country, so we understand why this proposal would never have a chance of passing.

And even though we actively support state funded health care, this proposal isn't the way to do it. Clause 3 is too vague, even with the qualifying details. I would also question the inclusion of cancer while leaving out a number of other terminal and "catastrophic" (for want of a better phrase) diseases. Clause 4 would also possibly be excessive in areas with a huge population (as odd as it sounds). And Clause 5 could be achieved while still being unbalanced - if space is going to be specified it needs to be done in a far better way. (The District 21 in Calladan has about 3 times the population of District 1, so clearly the hospitals would need to be bigger. But if you make the hospitals 3 times bigger in District 1, they could still - across the nation - hold 15% of the total population of Calladan). 

I, and my government, are truly in favour of state funded healthcare, and very much against private healthcare, but this is not the way to go about it. 

And the fifth proposal is identical to the fourth, with suggests someone filed the paperwork (or hit the submit key) twice :)

Spoiler

Gas Powered Automobile Ban Act

Industry Affected: Automotive

Proposed by: jimmytheturtle__771131t2.jpgJimmyTheTurtle

Recognizing the problem of global warming

Understanding that if the problem isn't rectified now, we may never again have an opportunity to fix it.

Concerned by the fact that if the problem continues, all life on the planet may become extinct.

Noting the automotive industry will be severely damaged.

This resolution would put a complete ban on all gas powered vehicles, whether publicly or privately owned in favor of electric automobiles. The ban will be implemented 50 years after this bill is past in order to give nations time to dismantle their oil powered societal structures. Effective for all WA member nations.

Approvals: 20 (JimmyTheTurtle, Axantium, The Free Union, Inzunza, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, Marilyn Manson Freaks, Usoqia, NovaTora, Sepharich, Eublepharis, Memeop, Huego Sol, Steelhand Grimnn, Baron Von William, Aquaisa, Uruguistan, Bustium, Abueldom, Mentariarese, The Pacific Union)

GenSec Status: LEGAL

Legal (3): christian_democrats__100575t2.pngChristian Democrats, sierra_lyricalia__368121t2.pngSierra Lyricalia, separatist_peoples__915898t2.pngSeparatist Peoples

I think the author is suffering some the "earth-centric" bias that some authors seem to get. While a ban on gasoline powered vehicles might help some of the developing nations, there are nations that have moved beyond gas powered vehicles and now use nuclear powered spaceships (or at least they use spaceships, which I am guessing are probably not powered by gasoline or other types of combustion engine - that would be weird). 

Which is why I suspect this has NO support. At all. And is probably not going to get any. 

Spoiler

Central Medicinal Database And Reforms Compact

Area of Effect: Research

Proposed by: xerox_prime__37628t2.pngXerox Prime

Nations of the WA:

Wishing to expand on the benefits provided by the creation of a centralized database of texts into the field of medicine;

Therefore, Hereby:

Establishes & constructs a WA Central Medicinal Database (WACMD), with the purpose of:
-Collecting medicinal knowledge possessed by the members of the WA,
-Archiving historical and present medicinal research and knowledge in a centralized digital database [with exceptions],
-Serving as a centralized nexus for submission of medical research and development of new knowledge by entities both government and private,
-Providing access of such information to WA nations, and ensuring the preservation of aforementioned medical knowledge,
-Providing administrative functions to regional research and healthcare centers in the form of funding and education;

Encourages that WA nations contribute [non-sensitive] existing medical knowledge to the WACMD database;

Provides funding for and encourages WA nations to pass legislation with the purpose of developing new medical knowledge and methods of treatment, and expanding national healthcare and research spheres;

Encourages that WA nations unable to provide affordable healthcare for their citizens accept the assistance of the WA in developing a capable form of such service, if in applicable governmental status and with appropriate confirmation of services;

Mandates for the fulfillment of these purposes, for the WACMD to undertake the:
- Archiving and iteration upon contributed medical knowledge,
- Integrating new received knowledge into international standards of medical care and treatment,
- Providing relevant collected knowledge to the pharmaceutical industry for the development of treatments and procedures,
- Dedicating effort and manpower to particular areas of medicinal research, with sufficient funding, at reasonable request,
- Establishment of a reasonable and fair program for investment and funding for the maintenance of such a database,
- Establishment of a WA committee for the oversight of funding and education for the purpose of developing healthcare and research spheres in applicable countries;

Mandates that WACMD establish such a program and division to oversee:
- Ongoing funding of medical research and study,
- The possible restrictions on certain types of knowledge (ex. sensitive information pertaining to biological warfare), only available through background checks,
- The creation and implementation of new standards of medical procedure, protocol, and operating guidelines, where applicable;

Tasks the Office of Building Management (OBM) to determine the optimal location of WACMD servers with the potential for:
- Defense against potential threats,
- Easy access and communication between WACMD servers and possible accessory structures for maintenance and communication;

Encourages WA Nations to promote healthcare, medicinal and pharmaceutical research;

Clarifies that WA member nations possess access and clearance to non-sensitive documents and information contained within the WACMD database;

Ensures the understanding of the WACMD as an entity independent from, albeit still obligated to, its donors, overseers, and WA supervisors;

Affirms the right for private entities to participate in their own research and production of medicinal and pharmaceutical goods and information;

Establishes a committee for the funding and expansion of WA nation healthcare sectors, pharmaceutical sectors, and medical research sectors.

Approvals: 64 (Axantium, Jarjarstan, Great Leeston, Uruguistan, United galatic planets, Sheltolia, Inzunza, Kyrgyz Kaganate, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, The United Federation of Amestris, Kashuan, East Utah, Marilyn Manson Freaks, ChaddTopia, Usoqia, NovaTora, Volitopia, Sepharich, Arduo, All New, Libratus, LollerLand, Kad Loto Islands, Jarnet, United Republic Empire, Eublepharis, Metakor, The United People Of Vietnam, D0min4ti0n, Satireia, Dusol, The Union of Emperial Republics, Bye Felica, Huego Sol, Rheneland, Sollest, Pewor, The Aquarius Islands, Steelhand Grimnn, Baron Von William, Art Deco Metro, Aquaisa, New Californiia, Deathian Empire, GodEmporia, Tim Kaine 4 VP 2016, Praepotens, The Anarchic fascist republic of an isle, Kerguelen Paradis, Edenis, Carolina Alliance, The Californian Democratic Republic, Samarziya Physics, Free Marketism, Greater Frisia, Prusswitonsiakekingkailand, The Brave Barili Cebu, NewLakotah, Bolshevik Supremacy, The United Dark Republic, DeathTall, Latin Gods of Rome, Hune, The Pacific Union)

Legal (4): christian_democrats__100575t2.pngChristian Democrats, bears_armed__185450t2.jpgBears Armed, sierra_lyricalia__368121t2.pngSierra Lyricalia, separatist_peoples__915898t2.pngSeparatist Peoples

Despite my vehement and vocal objections to the Library Compact resolution (for all the good that did me) I actually like this one. It was originally supposed to be an amendment to The Library Compact, but was made into its own proposal when it was pointed out amendments are against the rules. 

It provides for on line based storage of medical information so that it can be spread throughout The WA, it doesn't require everything being moved to one central building (thank gods), it puts emphasis on healthcare and provision of such, rather than just on storage of information and it does give concessions to the idea of private involvement in healthcare and research, rather than just forcing it to be government/state related. 

I think this is worth supporting and hope that it gains the 42 approvals it needs to come to the floor. (However it only has nine hours, as of this post, so I am not holding my breath).

Spoiler

International Gun Rights

A resolution to tighten or relax gun control laws.

Category: Gun Control

Decision: Relax

Proposed by: great_north_belgium__881637t2.jpgGreat North Belgium

This proposal will make it so ALL W.A. nations will have to allow their citizens the human right to AT LEAST have possession and legally operate handguns.
It is a fundamental human right that citizens should enjoy. It is imperative that people be allowed to defend themselves.

Approvals: 17 (Sepharich, Arduo, Great North Belgium, Freelandia of the People of the Nation, Jarnet, The Union of Emperial Republics, Welis Dund, The Aquarius Islands, Deathian Empire, The Anarchic fascist republic of an isle, Inzunza, StreetsOfFire, Dakotarese Imperial States, Free Marketism, Great Leeston, The United Dark Republic, DeathTall)

Legal (2): sierra_lyricalia__368121t2.pngSierra Lyricalia, bears_armed__185450t2.jpgBears Armed

Illegal (2): christian_democrats__100575t2.pngChristian Democrats, separatist_peoples__915898t2.pngSeparatist Peoples

Voting Ends: in 1 day 9 hours

Calladan banned private ownership of guns a while back. So clearly we have major objections to this proposal, since it would require us to resign from The WA should it pass. Also - on a more general level - while we are a great believer in The WA and don't generally throw up the NatSov card, there are certain topics in which we do believe National Sovereignty should take precedence over World Assembly law and gun control is most definitely one of those (along with capital punishment and freedom of religion).

So - on a personal level, I would suggest opposing this, and on a professional level, I would suggest opposing this. 

Spoiler

Repeal: “Transboundary Water Use Act”

Resolution: GA#223

Proposed by: Uruguayt2.pngUruguistan

General Assembly Resolution #223 “Transboundary Water Use Act” (Category: Environmental; Industry Affected: All Businesses) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

UNDERSTANDING that the "Transboundary Water Use Act" protects water sources that flow through several nations.

KNOWING that a repeal may harm and help several nations.

ACKNOWLEDGING that a repeal of the act will allow several drought-hit nations will have access to clean water without WA regulations and red tape.

Approvals: 14 (Uruguistan, 1-502nd Airborne Inf, Marilyn Manson Freaks, Freelandia of the People of the Nation, Great North Belgium, The Union of Emperial Republics, Huego Sol, The United Federation of Amestris, The Aquarius Islands, JimmyTheTurtle, The Anarchic fascist republic of an isle, Inzunza, Mentariarese, DeathTall)

Legal (2): christian_democrats__100575t2.pngChristian Democrats, bears_armed__185450t2.jpgBears Armed

Illegal (2): separatist_peoples__915898t2.pngSeparatist Peoples, sierra_lyricalia__368121t2.pngSierra Lyricalia

• 1 day 1 hour ago: sierra_lyricalia__368121t2.pngSierra Lyricalia: Illegal  Honest Mistake - Claims GAR#223 prevents access to clean water for droughts when it does not; NatSov-only repeal.
  • 1 day 3 hours ago: separatist_peoples__915898t2.pngSeparatist Peoples: Illegal  Honest Mistake - Claims GAR#223 prevents access to clean water for droughts when it does not.
  • 1 day 6 hours ago: bears_armed__185450t2.jpgBears Armed: Legal
  • 1 day 13 hours ago: christian_democrats__100575t2.pngChristian Democrats: Legal

I can't actually find anything wrong with the original act, and it was passed five years ago by quite a large margin. Plus I am not a big fan of repeals. 

Spoiler

Affordable Housing Act

A resolution to reduce income inequality and increase basic welfare.

Category: Social Justice

Proposed by: Uruguayt2.pngUruguistan

Thousands of the unemployed, poor, and the disadvantaged live on the streets without adequate facilities to go on with their basic lives. The Affordable Housing Act changes that and provides subsidized living solutions to get them off the street and back into society.

UNDERSTANDING that the housing market in some nations may be flooded with cheap, affordable housing.

KNOWING that these living solutions shall be regulated by the government.

DEMANDING that housing developers leave at least 5 residential units in a residential building with 20 units to be filled by government approved renters.

GIVING landlords and developers the right to receive compensation from the government in the form of tax cuts, government subsidization for lost rent, etc.

The creation of a regulating commission in each nation shall be done and will regulate these affordable living solutions to ensure the safety and security.

This resolution hereby creates the Affordable Housing Act.

Approvals: 3 (Uruguistan, United Republic Empire, Great Leeston)

While I entirely support the motive behind this, the specific writing of it does leave something to be desired. The most problematic part is the "5 residential units in a residential building with 20 units" -- suggesting that hotels, hostels, even large blocks of luxury flats - would be required, by law, to set aside some part of their property for rental within the scope of affordable housing. 

And - depending on what "a unit" is, it could also be taken to mean "a room" as opposed to "flat", so if someone owns a mansion with 20 rooms, then they would be required to give up five of those rooms. 

Just to be clear - the motive and general idea of the proposal is one I entirely support, however I can not, in good conscience, recommend this as a proposal to support right now. 

Spoiler

World Assembly Trade Federation

Proposed by: Puerto_Ricot2.pngDeathTall

The World Assembly, resolved to strengthen the special bonds amongst our nations, contribute to the development and expansion of world trade, provide a catalyst to broader international cooperation, create an expanded market for the goods and services produced in our nations, reduce distortions to trade and ensure a predictable commercial framework for businesses and trade. 
1.ENCOURAGES: the free, fair and open trade of all goods, services, raw materials, commodities and labor between member states with the least amount of regulations as is possible. 
2. ESTABLISHES: the World Assembly Trade Federation (WATF) to arbitrate any and all trade disputes which may arise concerning the implementation of this legislation. Such arbitration may include, but is not limited to, disputes over the interpretation of the terms and conditions of this resolution, and any alleged violations by member states.
3. AUTHORIZES: the WATF to implement a process for the elimination of anti-businesses devices restricting the free-trade of all goods, services, raw materials, commodities and labor, including but not limited to tariffs, duties, subsidies, subventions and quotas employed by WA member nations. 
- The process will be conducted through a series of negotiations convened by the WATF, with the goal of eventual elimination of all anti-businesses devices employed by WA member nations. 
- Decisions arrived at by the WATF in the negotiations are binding. 
4. RECOGNIZES that certain domestic programs such as fuel subsidies, government stipends and small business loans are necessary. 
5. EMPHASIZES: that WA member nations reserve the right to employ retaliatory tariffs towards non-WA nations this is to promote the WA-membership and strengthen trade amongst WA-member states 
6. REQUIRES: member governments to establish programs to alleviate small and big businesses and promote free-trade.

Approvals: 2 (DeathTall, The Pacific Union)

My first thought was that "free trade" and "fair trade" are not synonyms and do not belong in the same sentence. And when you add to that the fact The WATF can "implement a process for the elimination of anti-business devices restricting the free trade of all goods" then that stomps on the definition of fair trade even more. 

It then goes on to say Member Nations can employ retaliatory tariffs against non Member Nations, despite the fact these are apparently outlawed in Clause 3 (however they might only be outlawed between Member Nations and not between Member/Non-Member Nation trading relations).

Also - as a slight confession - I have never entirely understood all this trading crap, and generally skip over discussions about tariffs and so forth. Calladan tends to employ a fair trade philosophy where possible - we are fans of the free market up to a point, but when the free market leaves half a million unemployed and homeless it's time for someone to step in and do something about it. (But I am not going to start a political discussion here - I get enough of that on The WA forum arguing with various other nations who seem to think my nation is made up of headcases). 

Anyway - vote for this, don't vote for it - it's entirely up to you.

Spoiler

International Nuclear Arms Ban Treaty

Proposed by: Sabat2.pngTerrastine

To perverted any nuclear war all nuclear powered disarm their weapons or face powerful resistance.

Short, simple, to the point. Although I have no clue what that point actually is. 

World Assembly Central Medicinal Database and Reforms Compact failed after reaching around 75-80 votes. I am not sure of the exact number, as I wasn't online for when it died.

It was entirely my fault for not campaigning this whatsoever after it was submitted. Still, I don't find it entirely bad for my first proposal, which also lacked a campaign :).

Will probably resubmit (with revisions and a campaign) after the Internet Neutrality Act leaves the floor, however that may be, and after getting settled into a new region.

Spoiler

Repeal: “World Assembly Headquarters”

Resolution: GA#8

Proposed by: fiveria__986943t2.jpgFiveria

General Assembly Resolution #8 “World Assembly Headquarters” (Category: Political Stability; Strength: Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

UNDERSTANDING that a World Assembly Headquarters strengthens international unity and acts as a symbol of peace by legitimising the existence of the World Assembly and by acting as a gathering place for delegates and diplomats to debate and collaborate.

CONDEMNING the fact that GA Resolution #8 does not take into account the census finding that WA Diplomats have been accused of being "drunks, stoners, weirdos, military fruitcakes, sex addicts, rejects, dear little kiddies, honest family types" (GA Resolution #8, Omigodtheykilledkenny).

ALSO CONDEMNING the use of the colloquial and unprofessional use of language when describing the alleged actions of some WA diplomats.

NOTING that GA Resolution #8 does not go into detail as to how the World Assembly will secure the World Assembly Headquarters, what legislation and laws will be applied to the neutral territory and does not give further information as to who will be overseeing construction costs, who will regulate costs, who will oversee the payment and who will construct/maintain the planning.

SEEKING a REPEAL and REPLACE of GA Resolution #8 in order to make it more coherent, realistic and well-thought out in order to improve this useful, yet rushed resolution. 

Approvals: 36 (Willsylvania, Epca, Kinkerland, Fien Emple, Arduo, Anarcho Commies, Victoria and Kingsland, Gruv Train, Kim Jong-ilia, The United Federation of Amestris, Usoqia, JaubLand, Crater, Sepharich, Libertreria, Marilyn Manson Freaks, Kashuan, Alberts, New Constitution of Lost Earth, Atsatia, Imren, United German Regions, Firefold IIII, Slartnus, Breezelandia, Great mali, United City States of Oceania, Neue Belka, New Found America, Unumb, West Morganstan, Xuthor, Archuria, Angora Guanaco, -Mr Money-, LollerLand)

Legal (3): christian_democrats__100575t2.pngChristian Democrats, bears_armed__185450t2.jpgBears Armed, sierra_lyricalia__368121t2.pngSierra Lyricalia

I am not convinced this repeal actually has any merit. Resolution #8 doesn't "not take account" of the census finding, it deliberately ignores it which is something slightly different. Also the fact that some of the delegates are........ a little strange just makes The WA a more colourful place to work. (And what's wrong with being a sex addict? Sex is natural. Sex is good. And according to a very reliable source, while not everybody does it, everybody should!). Of course, we should get rid of the honest family types - they have no business being here!

I am also not convinced the line about the laws would be relevant either. According to the original resolution, HQ is not subject to any laws, which is why I keep getting thrown in the reflecting pool. If there were actual laws that might end badly.

So - I do not entirely see the need to repeal the legislation. And also there is a question of what would happen if the resolution is repealed :- would The HQ have to be knocked down? Where would we meet? If the neutral jurisdiction rules are repealed, would there be a temporary resolution covering diplomatic immunity while we are at the HQ?

There are a lot of questions that need to be answered before this is repealed, even if the replacement comes in almost at once.

Spoiler

Repeal: “Food And Drug Standards”

Resolution: GA#64

Proposed by: faviola__832580t2.jpgFaviola

General Assembly Resolution #64 “Food and Drug Standards” (Category: Social Justice; Strength: Significant) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

General Assembly Resolution #64 “Food and Drug Standards” (Category: Social Justice; Strength: Significant) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

UNDERSTANDING that the intended purpose of General Assembly Resolution #64 is to protect the public health through the regulation of pharmaceuticals and products intended for consumption,

NOTING that the requirements as described in General Assembly Resolution #64 are ambiguous and lack clear specification, hence, affecting the effectiveness of the Resolution in protecting the health of the public ("regularly inspect", "quality screening"),

ALSO NOTING that General Assembly Resolution #64 fails to designate funding and determine the source of funding for the World Assembly Food and Drug Regulatory Agency (WAFDRA) as established in this Resolution,

ALSO NOTING that General Assembly Resolution #64 fails to prohibit any specific hazardous materials or forms of production that would compromise the safety of pharmaceuticals or items for consumption, and thus endanger the public,

FURTHER NOTING that General Assembly Resolution #64 overreaches in power, violating national laws and authority of sovereign Member Nations, by ordering the closure of free enterprises in violation of ambiguous, non-specified requirements.

NOTING that this flawed legislation bars a more effective resolution from passage,

SEEKING the opportunity to introduce a more effective version of this resolution to the World Assembly,

The World Assembly hereby repeals General Assembly Resolution #64 "Food And Drug Standards".

There seems to be a duplicated line, but setting that aside....

The original resolution is written in a somewhat vague format because it covers every nation in The World Assembly. Calladan's food production process might require a different process to Misthaven's and if The World Assembly tried to set down SPECIFIC rules, and list specific products that are banned or limited, it would be chaos.

The closure of businesses is possibly problematic, however the regulations are designed within the nations, so it is not (directly) The WA that is doing the closing.

All in all, I can't find a reason to support this.

(Also - as you may have started to realise - I am not a fan of repeals).

Spoiler

Repeal: “Internet Neutrality Act”

Resolution: GA#398

Proposed by: the_united_provinces_of_serbania__926764The United Provinces of Serbania

General Assembly Resolution #398 “Internet Neutrality Act” (Category: Social Justice; Strength: Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

ACKNOWLEDGING that the Internet is a means of communication, collaboration, expression, and business for many;

BELIEVING that access to all lawful content on the Internet is a danger to many governments

DISTURBED that WA nations or Internet Service Providers can no longer hide any government secrets from the public
HEREBY:
DEFINES
a.
“Internet” as a system of interconnected networks of digital devices used to transfer data between said devices and their networks,

b.
If the public gets access to classified government information, the enemy can also.

HEARBY Repeals Internet Neutrality Act.

Approvals: 13 (Alberts, Atsatia, Victoria and Kingsland, Imren, United German Regions, Slartnus, United City States of Oceania, Neue Belka, Marilyn Manson Freaks, Ancian, Solond, Borg Triangle, -Mr Money-)

Legal (2): christian_democrats__100575t2.pngChristian Democrats, sierra_lyricalia__368121t2.pngSierra Lyricalia

This doesn't even begin to make ANY sense. I get that it is legal, but seriously - who wrote this? 

Calladan has classified material. We don't put this on the internet. We consider the act of sharing this a criminal act that - if the perpetrator is convicted gets them launched into space without a spacesuit. So clearly that is not "lawful content" in Calladan.

Honestly - this is insane, and the fact the support has got into double digits makes me despair for the future of The WA.

Spoiler

Repeal: “A Promotion Of Basic Education”

Resolution: GA#80

Proposed by: Walest2.pngChus Kruthe

General Assembly Resolution #80 “A Promotion of Basic Education” (Category: Education and Creativity; Area of Effect: Educational) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Understanding that “A Promotion of Basic Education” was intended to create a baseline standard and mandate for basic education in member states, as well as to insure access and acknowledge basic education as a human right.

Agreeing with the idea put forth by “A Promotion of Basic Education” of insuring a basic education as a human right and seeking to expand that right.

Believing that in order to create a better world a more comprehensive approach to legislating basic education must be taken.

Asserting that the standards of “A Promotion of Basic Education” do not go far enough to insure a quality basic education for the citizens of member states.

Understanding that the method of education is inherently linked and believing that “A Promotion of Basic Education” does not insure a quality method of education is used.
Concerned that under “A Promotion of Basic Education” member states may short change their citizens of their right to a basic education by using low quality methods of instruction and perhaps even rely entirely on “self-education” through literature as opposed to forms of supervised instruction.

Believing that while “A Promotion of Basic Education” was intended to provide students in member nations with a high quality basic education but that it falls short in its attempts to provide students with a high quality basic education.

Finding that the only way to provide students in member nations with the high quality basic education that they deserve is to pass new standards presently blocked by “A Promotion of Basic Education.”

Acting to better and expand the right of all citizens of member states to a basic education,

The World Assembly hereby repeals “A Promotion of Basic Education”.

Approvals: 12 (Alberts, Atsatia, Victoria and Kingsland, Imren, Firefold IIII, Slartnus, Great mali, United City States of Oceania, Berthin, West Morganstan, Angora Guanaco, -Mr Money-)

Legal (3): christian_democrats__100575t2.pngChristian Democrats, bears_armed__185450t2.jpgBears Armed, sierra_lyricalia__368121t2.pngSierra Lyricalia

I have commented enough about this on The GA forum quite a lot, but to summarise :- no.

Spoiler

Sharing Of Cultures

Area of Effect: Cultural Heritage

Proposed by: victoria_and_kingsland__9727t2.pngVictoria and Kingsland

NOTING that WA members play host to thousands of different and unique cultures.

REALIZING that a citizen of a WA member state will probably only learn about his or her own culture.

BELIVING that culture is the one part of a nation that truly defines it, no matter the state of the government, economy, environment, etc.

FURTHER BELIVING that cultures are things that nations should be proud of and that should be shared and promoted around the world as a representation of a nation and its people.

The WA hereby:

1. CREATES a WA Cultural Advancement Commision (WACAC) whose purpose is to promoted the advancement and sharing of cultures of all WA member states.

2. ESTABLISHES the WA International Cultures Festival (WAICF), to promote education, understanding, cooperation, and acceptance between different cultures. The WAICF would be under the authority of the WACAC.

3. ENCOURAGES WA member nations to actively find ways to promote and share their culture with the rest of the world.

4. FURTHER ENCOURAGES the WA to find solutions to foster new relationships of understanding and acceptance between cultures. Especially those who have been or are currently engaged in a cultural conflict.

This doesn't really do a great deal. It creates two committees, then encourages nations to get a long. And while two members of The GA/GS have ruled on it, I would have thought it might be a violation of the Committee only rule?

Over all I admit I like it - as always, the only thing that will redeem us is co-operation.

Spoiler

Green Space Act

Industry Affected: Manufacturing

Proposed by: dumont__163868t2.pngDumont

The Green Space Act hopes to persuade member nations to increase the size and number of national parks, municipal parks, nature preserves, and all green spaces in general. Doing so would require a downsizing of the member nation's manufacturing industry.
UNDERSTANDING that some member nations have major manufacturing industries,
REALIZING that some countries prioritize their manufacturing over preservation of the green spaces of their nation,
KNOWING that too large of an industry can lead to health consequences due to air pollution,
HOPING that member nations may become aware of the health risks presented with poor air quality due to industry:
* Stroke

* Heart Disease

* Lung Cancer

* Chronic and Acute Respiratory Diseases, such as Asthma

UNDERSTANDING that a major decrease in size of the manufacturing industry results in a country-wide improvement as it pertains to the general cardiovascular and respiratory health.
REALIZING that plants are the oxygen factories of the world, and contribute to an improvement
KNOWING that this information leads to more green areas, and national parks,
FINALLY, THINKING ABOUT the positive outcomes of having an area of nature that has limited their industrialization,
DECLARING the importance of a natural space for the well-being of member nations and their citizens.
The World Assembly therefore URGES member nations to decrease the size of their manufacturing industry in order to protect green spaces and protect air quality, for the benefit of the population of member nations.

Approvals: 12 (Frionias, Democratic Republic of Cacusia, United City States of Oceania, Volitopia, Berthin, The Brave Barili Cebu, Marilyn Manson Freaks, Bustium, Ainin, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, Anor Alia, Angora Guanaco)

Legal (1): christian_democrats__100575t2.pngChristian Democrats

This proposal has a MASSIVE pre-amble (seriously - one of the biggest I have seen) and ends up being a one line proposal :-

"The World Assembly therefore URGES member nations to decrease the size of their manufacturing industry in order to protect green spaces and protect air quality, for the benefit of the population of member nations."

Which is (according to Christian Democrats at least) a mandatory clause to reduce our manufacturing industry to protect green spaces. 

This is a good cause, and something we should be doing, but this resolution doesn't ACTUALLY ask us to increase then number of parks and green spaces. We just have to reduce the size of manufacturing industry. 

So - I have to admit - while I can't find anything objectionable about it, it's also entirely pointless and I think The WA can do better.