Board games vs. Card games?

Luxebar

Hello!

I am an avid player of card games and board games (Risk holds a special spot in my heart).

Regardless, which is better: card games (any cards not just playing cards) or board games?

And out of the genre, what is your favorite game?

I personally prefer board games, and my favorite is Parcheesi

For card games, Cards Against Humanity.

FOr me: BOARD GAMES. I own about 25 of them, with Risk being just the simplest oldest most common one I have.

Is there any simple explanatory of how this is played?

This April Fools day, NS introduced their own version, and I didn't get it at all:(

(But I rock at NS Challenge — so I got that goin' for me, which is nice.  :D)

Simple: there are two decks of cards, Black Ones that have "QUESTIONS" and white ones that have "ANSWERS". As it is usually played, the players get a hand of white hands, and then a black question card is drawn and you - the player - need to select your answer to it, trying to be AS AWFUL AND HORRIBLE a person as possible.

The reason that I use "questions" and "answers" in quotes, is because many of them are just incomplete sentences or single words.

So you have a real example here:

CAH+4.JPG

In it, the white cards take the space of the Blank. Then, whatever is the most awful/funny/terrible one wins and you go on. On who win and how a winner is selected, the game itself has several options. I play it so that the best answer is voted.

My list:

Risk

Risk: Godstorm

Risk: 2210

Risk: Lord of the Rings

Dungeons and Dragons: Castle Ravenloft

Dungeons and Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalom

Discworld Board Game

The Settlers of Catan

Eldritch Horror

EldritcH Horror: forgot the name of the expansion

The Pillars of the Earth

The Pillars of the Earth Expansion

Quatro

Arkham Horror

Betrayal at the House of the Hill

Lego's Minotaurus

Uno and Uno Dare

Scrabble and Scrabble Dash

Uno Stacko

Clue

Lord of the Rings Boardgame

Battlestar Galactica Boardgame

Cards Against Humanity with 4 expansions

Those are the ones I remember right now haha

I've never played the various Dungeons and Dragons board games.  I've played the RGP a ton as a teen.  I've also been in some epic Risk battles.  But most end before the game is actually over!

Risk is one of my favourites (damn brother flipping the board before its done for me), along with Monopoly and a few others. I still haven't tried D and D, although one day I'll be roped in.

Favorite board game is Diplomacy. It's like Risk but without any reliance on dice rolls, solely inter-player diplomacy. The game gets really intense because of that, I've had people walk out multiple times after being double crossed.One guy actually refuses to play any more because he got so salty the last time he played.

Favorite card game is probably Munchkin. Don't really know how to explain it. Its a really good party game where you play as competing adventurers trying to clear a dungeon, easy enough to learn while still allowing for some pretty clever plays.

As for D&D, that's easily my favorite tabletop game ever, but I can't really classify it as a board game. My weekly group has had many days where we just play with pen, paper, and dice and don't use maps/miniatures at all. I've only ever played 3.5e, 4e, and 5e (as well as a few adventures from 2e that were slightly modified for 4e and 5e). Can't say I really have a favorite, each version had something that I loved and something that I hated. Probably had the most fun with 4e though.

And CAH is fun for a little while, but it's primarily a game about shock value. After a while the cards stop being funny and the game stops being fun, from my experience at least.

Favorite board game is Diplomacy. It's like Risk but without any reliance on dice rolls, solely inter-player diplomacy. The game gets really intense because of that, I've had people walk out multiple times after being double crossed.One guy actually refuses to play any more because he got so salty the last time he played.

I love diplomacy. Super intense if the people playing are really into it. Easy to get worked up.

Favorite card game is probably Munchkin. Don't really know how to explain it. Its a really good party game where you play as competing adventurers trying to clear a dungeon, easy enough to learn while still allowing for some pretty clever plays.

I like Munchkin too, and the many flavors of it there are just making endlessly fun :)

As for D&D, that's easily my favorite tabletop game ever, but I can't really classify it as a board game. My weekly group has had many days where we just play with pen, paper, and dice and don't use maps/miniatures at all. I've only ever played 3.5e, 4e, and 5e (as well as a few adventures from 2e that were slightly modified for 4e and 5e). Can't say I really have a favorite, each version had something that I loved and something that I hated. Probably had the most fun with 4e though.

Agreed. I don't consider any of the RPGs I play boardgames, as we (my different groups) never played it tactically (no grid, no minis, just the dices to portray positions and only in the rare scenario when someone asked cuz they had a crazy idea). My first character was named Elegarth (and you may guess how significant it was to me, that I use its name as my nickname now).

And CAH is fun for a little while, but it's primarily a game about shock value. After a while the cards stop being funny and the game stops being fun, from my experience at least.

Yes, and then that's why you need the expansions to add it more... and even there, it can start to get old if you play it too often

I've really only played 1e,2e, and Forgotten Realms.  I used to love it so much.  Haven't even thought about it in so long!  Thanks for the memories!

We used to play in my friend's basement (which was more like a root cellar).  It was always cool and damp, except when it was cold and damp.  We built a table with saw horses and old 2x10's.  Played with dice, character sheets and pencils and paper.